Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A-Rod: 5-years, $114 million

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

A-Rod: 5-years, $114 million

That's what's left on A-Rod's contract with the Yankees. Just absolutely hilarious. I knew it was a lot, but those are the exact figures and I found them interesting. Thought you might as well. BTW: It was announced today that A-Rod needs another hip surgery and could be out until June.

He's signed through 2017 and the Yankees still owe him $114 million. They're paying that bum $22.8 million per season for the next 5 years! Haha.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A-Rod: 5-years, $114 million

And they just said he'll miss the first 2 months of the season.

That's all on Hank Steinbrenner. Cashman was ready to let him ARod opt out and get the best offer on the market, but Steinbrenner stepped in and overpaid. No shrimp cocktail at the YES Network holiday party this year, I guess.

They are interested in trading for Headley from San Diego.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

I wouldn't carve out A-Rod's gravestone so quickly. I suspect he might have a little more baseball left in him. Not to mention I bet he has access to some cutting edge pharmaceutical products.

Aside from that, the Yankees can light $114 million on fire and have a good laugh about it. Supposedly their annual profits, when you figure in the YES Network, are running nine digits these days.

Maybe they won't be able to fill 3B without A-Rod, mainly because there's a dearth of talent at 3B these days, but Hank Steinbrenner is still enjoying the Scrooge-McDuck-pool-full-of-money swimming experience.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Amazing how quickly those numbers dropped after his admission of steroid usage. One of the biggest shams in baseball IMO.

I know this will get some grief, but I'd take ARod were the Yankees willing to give up on him and pay msot of his contract. ARod at $3 million per year for the next five years, IMO, would be a bargain. He could play 3B, provide some power, and obp.

I suspect he'll have at least one more very good year (800 - 850 OPS) and at least three solid ones (750 - 800 OPS) before retiring.

Of course, having said that, I was completely wrong about Manny Ramirez, so there you go.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I know this will get some grief, but I'd take ARod were the Yankees willing to give up on him and pay msot of his contract. ARod at $3 million per year for the next five years, IMO, would be a bargain. He could play 3B, provide some power, and obp.

I suspect he'll have at least one more very good year (800 - 850 OPS) and at least three solid ones (750 - 800 OPS) before retiring.

Of course, having said that, I was completely wrong about Manny Ramirez, so there you go.
    Oh, I would do that too. But why would the Yanks care about $15 million over the next 5 years? They would still be on the hook for $99 million in that scenario. I'm sure they'd rather just keep ARod and hope to get something out of him if they still had to pay him most of the deal anyway.

But yeah, for argument's sake, I'd probably take a 5-year, $15 million deal for ARod if I were the Reds. I bet he has one big year left in him. No more than one, but I could see him having a good 2014 season, for example.

According to the New York Post, Rodriguez was playing with a tear in his hip late last season and will undergo another operation in the very near future. He could miss the start of the 2013 campaign if surgery is again performed.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    According to the New York Post, Rodriguez was playing with a tear in his hip late last season and will undergo another operation in the very near future. He could miss the start of the 2013 campaign if surgery is again performed.
    It looks like he will have surgery in January and be out 4 to 6 months.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...ery-4-6-months

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Amazing how quickly those numbers dropped after his admission of steroid usage. One of the biggest shams in baseball IMO.
    It is. To be fair, though, age itself is often responsible for some steep declines. See Griffey Jr., Ken.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Projection systems had his decline pegged incredibly well simply due to "natural aging curves" based on what he was doing in his 20's.

Turn Off Ads?