Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Could a Xavier Paul CF platoon get Reds by for 1 yr.?

Could a Xavier Paul CF platoon get Reds by for 1 yr.?

Xavier Paul has played CF at the MLB level. I'm assuming his defense is below both Stubbs and Heisey, but perhaps he would be adequate for part of a 1 yr. stop-gap. Stubbs could play against LH starters, and Heisey could be the backup plan (or supplant Stubbs altogether).

I got thinking about this when I looked at some stats of Victorino and saw he didn't do so well against RH pitching. Xavier Paul has shown good results (in an admittedly small sample size) against RH pitching.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Could a Xavier Paul CF platoon get Reds by for 1 yr.?

I wouldn't go any more than one year. The Reds have fallen into that trap before, where a journeyman comes in and plays well and then they sign him to a multi-year deal and then get stuck. Miguel Cairo comes to mind. Not a bad thought though it would not be my No. 1 option.

I think you would be disappointed. I think he's best served in the role he was in last season, pinch hitter and spot starter.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post
    I wouldn't go any more than one year. The Reds have fallen into that trap before, where a journeyman comes in and plays well and then they sign him to a multi-year deal and then get stuck. Miguel Cairo comes to mind. Not a bad thought though it would not be my No. 1 option.
    Well, I misunderstood that point. I thought the Reds already had him signed/under control for next year. I also wasn't operating under any delusion that he was the perfect option. There just don't appear to be any great options. For the most part, it seems the Reds are either going to have to pay a lot or trade a lot to get a CF option that has question marks to begin with.

It sure would be nice if Stubbs v2010 made a return appearance.

Even that year he struckout 28% of the time. I'd take that .320ish OBP though...but I think we still need better at the top of the order. We should have been using Stubbs in a platoon last season instead of riding any value he had left through the ground and straight into the molten core of the Earth.

I vote to improve what we know needs to be improved through a trade. Namely an outfielder who can contribute at the top of the order.

I don't view improving that glaring weakness in the team as mutually exclusive with waiting for Hamilton, as I think there's enough power elsewhere in the lineup to make the top of the order all about getting on base. I'll also speak sacrilege and say I'd like the insurance policy in case Billy doesn't pan out on day one... as that may happen.

I'm a Foxler advocate if we're really looking to make a splash. I'm a DeJesus advocate if we don't want to empty the farm again. Something like that.

Paul is a bench player. He will succeed off the bench.

No.

re: Miguel Cairo

It may leave much too be desired, but I still think a CF platoon with Xavier Paul is preferable to any scenario where Stubbs is hitting against RH pitching and leading off.

Turn Off Ads?