Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shane Shane Shane

Re: Shane Shane Shane

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If the rumors are true there are a lot of teams interested in Victorino. MLBtraderumors has it that the Red Sox are comfortable with a three-year deal for Victorino. With all that interest he will likely get nearly what he wants. If I were in Victorino's shoes I wouldn't roll the dice on a one-year pact. Not at his age.
    I was asking the question. I don't believe it myself

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think the TV money is causing salaries to go up and these may not be ridiculous deals when we look back on things. You would have to think that if the Reds could shell out around 300 million last winter that the other teams have money to spend as well.
    Not every team has gotten that TV money yet. The Reds explained they were able to spend that money because they had been saving revenue sharing money. Maybe other teams are doing the same?

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Not every team has gotten that TV money yet. The Reds explained they were able to spend that money because they had been saving revenue sharing money. Maybe other teams are doing the same?
    All the same, texasdave is mostly right, especially in terms of what will look "reasonable" even 5 years from now. All of these signings and long contracts are a symptom of the financial climate of baseball at the moment. And the financial climate in baseball right now is negotiating crazy big TV deals.

I do believe the Reds would not have been able to extend Votto or certainly not both Votto and BP without a renegotiation of their TV deal on the horizon in the next few years.

I can't remember where I read it but the article said that part of the reason for extensions and the backloaded contracts is that Jocketty expects the payroll to be upward above $100M by 2014 because of the new TV deal.

Latest on Victorino:

Besides the Indians, other teams checking in on Victorino include the Red Sox, Cubs, and Yankees, says Crasnick (Twitter link). The Braves and Reds don't appear to be engaged in discussions, and the Phillies' interest is "tepid," according to the ESPN.com scribe.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#x5BWf39eVyoDJGLT.99

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    All the same, texasdave is mostly right, especially in terms of what will look "reasonable" even 5 years from now. All of these signings and long contracts are a symptom of the financial climate of baseball at the moment. And the financial climate in baseball right now is negotiating crazy big TV deals.

I do believe the Reds would not have been able to extend Votto or certainly not both Votto and BP without a renegotiation of their TV deal on the horizon in the next few years.
    I don't disagree with that. I just think that at his current production, $15M is crazy for Upton in 1980 or 2020

Money flowing like wine. Geez.

The Red Sox remodeling project continued today, as they agreed to terms with Shane Victorino on a three-year, $37.5MM contract

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#ah2LFo2O1zLz6gG9.99

Money flowing like wine. Geez.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#ah2LFo2O1zLz6gG9.99
    That is INSANE

These prices are getting outrages and the cost of giving up a top prospect or cheap SP isn't much more appealing. With out payroll we aren't in position to do either for long term success.

Now you guys see what a Good Deal trading for Justin Upton would be!

I just hope the Reds sign their new TV contract at the peak of the
    market...if they stop dishing out this crazy money soon we could be screwed. I'm expecting they get anywhere between 75-100 million a year out of it if things continue the way they are now

The Reds dodged a bullet with this one!

Turn Off Ads?