Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ludwick Contract Offer/ Ludwick has deal with the Reds.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ludwick Contract Offer/ Ludwick has deal with the Reds.

https://twitter.com/johnfayman/statu...25632275611648

I guess we have an offer out to Ludwick. Should have some sort of response today I would think. Talk about it here!

Re: Ludwick Contract Offer

Makes a lot of sense. I'm a believer in the turnaround. He had a good rhythm at the plate and you could tell his success was a mentality. He's also the Reds best bet to save money on a FA contract because he likes the team, he likes the city as well, has family close, and would possibly defer some money.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

My guess is 2 years, $13-14 million.

Jonny Gomes getting 2-years, $10 mil from the Red Sox probably drove up the market a bit. Still can't believe the Sox were dumb enough to do that. Oh wait a minute, yes I can!

I like the idea of Ludwick re-signing and I expected it. I was surprised when Fay said on Twitter last week that he doubted Ludwick would be back with the Reds in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    My guess is 2 years, $13-14 million.

Jonny Gomes getting 2-years, $10 mil from the Red Sox probably drove up the market a bit. Still can't believe the Sox were dumb enough to do that. Oh wait a minute, yes I can!

I like the idea of Ludwick re-signing and I expected it. I was surprised when Fay said on Twitter last week that he doubted Ludwick would be back with the Reds in 2013.
    Fay seems to know as much as you or I do.

If Angel Pagan got 4/40, I would assume Ludwick gets closer to 2/20 with a team option for a 3rd year at 12 with a 2 buyout.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    If Angel Pagan got 4/40, I would assume Ludwick gets closer to 2/20 with a team option for a 3rd year at 12 with a 2 buyout.
    I'm thinking the same thing. If we're not going beyond two years, I don't think he's coming cheap with the way contracts have been shaping up so far. Outside of a big deal for Upton or Choo, I don't see much else out there so I think they'll press pretty hard to get a deal done.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I'm thinking the same thing. If we're not going beyond two years, I don't think he's coming cheap with the way contracts have been shaping up so far. Outside of a big deal for Upton or Choo, I don't see much else out there so I think they'll press pretty hard to get a deal done.
    Yea, I could live with 2/20.. It would be nice to get LF settled without selling the farm. I guess we all need to get used to the salary inflation that's coming.

Nice that the Reds are trying to get this settled quickly (one way or another).
    If they can't work out something with Ludwick, plenty of other options available.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

With Victorino getting 3/37.5, I wonder if Ludwick may be more like 2/22 with that 12/2 option.

With Victorino getting 3/37.5, I wonder if Ludwick may be more like 2/22 with that 12/2 option.
    Hate to keep beating a dead horse, but who would you rather have:

Victorino for 3/38
    Ludwick for 2/22
    J.Upton for 3/37

I'd happily trade the prospects for Upton's contract out of that lot.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Victorino for 3/38
    Ludwick for 2/22
    J.Upton for 3/37

I guess it would depend on the prospects required.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Victorino for 3/38
    Ludwick for 2/22
    J.Upton for 3/37

Ludwick. I want absolutely nothing to do with Upton.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

If the Reds are remotely considering giving Ludwick 2/20, I really hope they will entertain the Justin Upton option.
    Go BLUE!!!

I can see where paying Ludwick some extra accomplishes a lot for the Reds. If you can get all these things for one player on a short deal, what's not to like:

1) Cleanup hitter & RHB that hits RHP pretty well
    2) Retain all your starting pitching
    3) Retain all your prospects
    4) Leadoff is settled with Phillips > then Hamilton
    5) Good clubhouse guy. Keeps the band together.
    6) Probably still below market rate
    7) Platoon-able guy, so won't dry up the bench guys (Heisey, Paul, hopefully Fellhauer)

I can see a slight overpay. Especially with the way the Nats, Phils, Braves and Cards are loaded with pitching. Makes you less willy nilly with your strong staff. Ludwick keeps things pinned down in a lot of ways and moves the org forward with its own. I still want a leadoff CF though, yet the market is pretty extreme there.

The key to any big deal is likely Ludwick...if he signs then all emphasis shifts to getting that leadoff man. If he doesn't they may go after an Upton LF type and sit back with BP and wait for Billy.

John Fay ‏@johnfayman

#Reds talked to Ludwick, waiting hear back. "We're in the ballpark," Jocketty said. It's a 2-year deal. "I think they understand that."

Turn Off Ads?