Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Ludwick Contract Offer/ Ludwick has deal with the Reds.

Re: Ludwick Contract Offer/ Ludwick has deal with the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Just curious, what do you think it will be, and at what cost? (Realistically)
    Coco Crisp is a possibility. Can't see the A's paying him. If Reds take on his one year seven mill contract, he should cost second tier prospects, not top guys, or maybe for Heisey. Hits righties, good on defense, experienced guy could tutor Hamilton.

I could see Walt doing a Madson one year type deal with Boras for Bourn. I don't think this is nuts if Bourn doesn't like his longer term offers.

Both players would cost some dough but the contract is a one year fix. No longer commitment.

If they are too rich, I could see Nyger Morgan. Had a bad 2012 but usually hits righties. Could platoon with Stubbs or Heisey. Would be a cheap free agent. Could see a trade for Eric Young Jr. Rockies might want young pitching, might be tough to find a match, but he improved last season.

I started a thread called Centerfield 2013, it lists a whole number of possibilities beyond these.
    Key is a guy who plays the position and gets on base against righties. Powerhouse not required.

I don't see Fowler who would probably require a big return. Guessing they won't land him. The Chisox have another guy, D'aza, I think he may cost too many prospects. Bosox might want too much for Ellsbury, an injury risk.

Parra of the Dbacks is interesting, might cost Gregorius. Don't know if Reds would do that, but they might. With Hamilton coming, wouldn't necessarily give up Didi for CF, but Reds might if they like Parra. Dbacks might covet Didi.

DeJesus is another possibility, there really are a bunch of CFers who hit lefty on the market or possibly so. I wouldn't give up a ton with Billy on the way, but lots of possible guys.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-09-2012 at 08:59 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Heisey himself admitted that on Mo's show on Friday that he has only himself to blame. The job was his to take and he knew he didn't rise to the occasion.

He also said he was going to be a school teacher before the Reds signed him, and probably will be when he's done playing ball, and really enjoyed reading to the kids last year, and was looking forward to it this year.

Also, I believe that Jay Bruce is getting married tonight in Texas, and many Reds were hurrying to get there, for what it's worth.

Then again, maybe he is a jerk, I have no idea!
    FYI: Jay Bruce got married last weekend and yes I know this for sure because I know some people and I've actually seen pictures. (He and his now wife looked ADORABLE and I also heard Joey and Drew were in the wedding while several of his teammates were all in attendance.)

And Chris Heisey is NOT a jerk. I've met him several times and he is a very genuine and sweet person. Something very well could have been bothering him at the time and he didn't want to spread that to anyone else (I've done that before....get myself out of a situation when I know I'm going to bring everyone else down) or he may have been bummed out about the Ludwick news. Who knows but I do know that he was in town for several days prior to Redsfest to help with the promotional stuff (he and Zack were both here) so he could have just been tired from all the press stuff. Please don't hold it against Chris....he's a good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I KNOW! I had 'em pegged for 102. Da bums!
    I'm glad you're not holding it against them or anything, LMAO

Congrats to Ludwick on the new deal (which was fun to hear about while I was at Redsfest this weekend) and I'm glad he's going to be with the Reds next year. I enjoyed meeting him earlier this season and I think he's going to have another solid year for our guys. He and his bat definitely enjoyed GABP a lot last year!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    I've got no problem with that. Seems like a good deal for both sides.

Matt
    Honestly, it sounds like a GREAT deal for the Reds.
    Youkillis was "pondering" a one year deal at 12 million, thinking it might not be enough.

With this salary explosion in FA , if we get a good year out of Ludwick in 2013, it's almost like getting the second year for 3-4 million...

Thank you Ludwick for coming back, I'm sure you could've gotten more money elsewhere if you really wanted to. I think it's awesome that the Reds have returned to being a franchise that players want to play for.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    He had his chance last spring to earn that spot and did nothing with the opportunity. Sometimes you only get a chance or two to make your case. He may have let his slip away.
    Hiesey has had multiple chances to seize a starting job.
    Even if the Reds pick up a CF, he'll still get plenty of playing time next year.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Look more critically.

None of the 97 wins of 2012 carry over to 2013.

Upside: Leake as the 6th starter (upgrade)
    Full year of Broxton
    Ludwick no longer adjusting
    Hopefully a full healthy year of Votto
    Stubbs working with batting coach over winter (still time to get a CF)
    Another year of experience for Latos, Cueto, Homer
    Full year of X Paul (avoids that horrible black hole at LH pinch hitter)
    Potential bench upgrades to Cairo/Valdez? (Maybe Hannahan)
    Mez couldn't possibly do worse..

Downside:
    Ludwick a year older
    No 1/2 half Rolen (probably)
    Arroyo a year older (not really worried, but potential regression)

Wildcard:
    Chapman in the rotation
    Frasier for an entire season (may give greater production at 3b or may regress)
    Last edited by REDREAD; 12-10-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    You mean front-loaded deal?
    Nope, backloaded. He's getting $7.5 million in 2013 for a $12 million contract with the leftover $4.5 million coming on top of his $3 million contract in 2014. The key is he deliver in 2013. That's how he earns his money.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Ludwick deal is official as of today.

Link: http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Turn Off Ads?