Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Ludwick Contract Offer/ Ludwick has deal with the Reds.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Ludwick Contract Offer/ Ludwick has deal with the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    That darn lineup only won 97 games last year.
    I KNOW! I had 'em pegged for 102. Da bums!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I KNOW! I had 'em pegged for 102. Da bums!
    I agree. This isn't fantasy baseball. The Reds have very little flexibility in terms of payroll. I think the Ludwick deal with what other OF's have gotten was a tremendous deal for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    That darn lineup only won 97 games last year.
    Look more critically.

Reds played Cubs and Astros about 36 times, two of the worst teams in baseball, and had remarkable pitching health and a Hall of Fame closer performance last season.

The front office can stand pat and hope these things repeat or they can address weaknesses.

IMO they must address the offense with at least a modest addition to the lineup to improve the team OBP.

None of the 97 wins of 2012 carry over to 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Look more critically.

Reds played Cubs and Astros about 36 times, two of the worst teams in baseball, and had remarkable pitching health and a Hall of Fame closer performance last season.

The front office can stand pat and hope these things repeat or they can address weaknesses.

IMO they must address the offense with at least a modest addition to the lineup to improve the team OBP.

Votto batting more this year will help that quite a bit. I'll stick with pitching.

And neither do the stats, both negative and positive. We don't know what's in store for next year, and if you are privy to that information, share the lotto numbers with me.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    And neither do the stats, both negative and positive. We don't know what's in store for next year, and if you are privy to that information, share the lotto numbers with me.
    We don't know what is in store, but as a general rule of thumb, sports teams should try to improve the weak spots.

Feel free to argue for sitting still.

And please don't cry poverty, I am not suggesting huge payroll increases.

As for Votto's health, he can't both hit third and lead off.

It really shouldn't be difficult to improve the CF situation, with at least a platoon.

Don't see any reason to think it should not be feasible to improve the club with current constraints. No reason to be happy with the same line-up, especially knowing it was not the primary reason we made the playoffs. Can easily improve the roster without taking away from the staff.

We don't know what is in store, but as a general rule of thumb, sports teams should try to improve the weak spots.

Feel free to argue for sitting still.

And please don't cry poverty, I am not suggesting huge payroll increases.

As for Votto's health, he can't both hit third and lead off.
    My comment was more tongue in cheek than anything, but, I'm not really seeing much improvement available. All the available CFers and lead-off hitters are more expensive or would require us to rob our strengths for minimal gain. For the most part, I'd pass. I'm comfortable going to battle with what we currently have, if Jocketty does find an improvement somewhere, great, if not, I'm fine with it for now as well.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I'd like 2 LH hitters, one who can play CF and possibly platoon, or at least spell Stubbs against guys like Halliday, and one who can play some 3b. Both could be bench players who play a good bit.

And all the pitching you can find.
    sorry we're boring

Look more critically.

Let's not overlook the fact that the other NL teams got to play the Astros and Cubs too. Let's also not overlook that this is a young team that is rapidly approaching their peak years. They should improve naturally IMO. And remember we've gained by subtraction as well with the loss of Cairo/Valdez from the bench.

I agree with you that we need more OBP and batting average (just not at the expense of creating a new problem), but outside of health...I don't foresee much of a dropoff from last season. But because I don't think we'll be as healthy in the starting rotation as last year, that's the reason I DON'T want to trade away our depth (Leake, Corcino/Cingrani, Bailey, etc, etc, etc.)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    IMO, the best way to look at this contract is as a back-loaded deal. The Reds just signed Ludwick for $12 million in 2013. If he earns that then whatever he delivers for $3 million in 2014 is gravy. The key is next year. The Reds need an .800+ OPS from him.
    You mean front-loaded deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    It really shouldn't be difficult to improve the CF situation, with at least a platoon.

Don't see any reason to think it should not be feasible to improve the club with current constraints. No reason to be happy with the same line-up, especially knowing it was not the primary reason we made the playoffs. Can easily improve the roster without taking away from the staff.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Let's not overlook the fact that the other NL teams got to play the Astros and Cubs too. Let's also not overlook that this is a young team that is rapidly approaching their peak years. They should improve naturally IMO. And remember we've gained by subtraction as well with the loss of Cairo/Valdez from the bench.

I agree with you that we need more OBP and batting average (just not at the expense of creating a new problem), but outside of health...I don't foresee much of a dropoff from last season. But because I don't think we'll be as healthy in the starting rotation as last year, that's the reason I DON'T want to trade away our depth (Leake, Corcino/Cingrani, Bailey, etc, etc, etc.)
    Only the NL Central teams played the Cubs and Astros 36 times each. The East and West played them far less often.

As for the Reds improving naturally, these players are humans. Some will get better, some worse, some will stay healthy, some won't.

It all gets addressed by active management.

Top teams don't sit still. The current lead off and CF situations must be addressed and I am confident they will be. This team is not good enough to rest on its laurels. Walt knows this.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-09-2012 at 08:21 PM.

. The current lead off and CF situations must be addressed and I am confident it will be. This team is not good enough to rest on its laurels. Walt knows this.
    Just curious, what do you think it will be, and at what cost? (Realistically)

Only the NL Central teams played the Cubs and Astros 36 times each. The East and West played them far less often.
    This is true, but last time I looked, we still play in the Central and need to win the Central. Do that, and as many have said...the playoffs are a crapshoot.

Turn Off Ads?