Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Ludwick Contract Offer/ Ludwick has deal with the Reds.

Re: Ludwick Contract Offer/ Ludwick has deal with the Reds.

Last night at story time in the kids section, Chris Heisey came across as kinda being in a bad mood. Now I think I know why.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Last night at story time in the kids section, Chris Heisey came across as kinda being in a bad mood. Now I think I know why.
    Highly subjective, but after watching Heisey and Ludwick on defense for a year, my opinion is that Chris is a better center fielder than Ryan could ever be, but that Ryan is just as good a left fielder as Chris.

He had his chance last spring to earn that spot and did nothing with the opportunity. Sometimes you only get a chance or two to make your case. He may have let his slip away.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

If Heisey really is unhappy with his situatiom, maybe he should introduce the ball to the bat in the strike zone on a more regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    If Heisey really is unhappy with his situatiom, maybe he should introduce the ball to the bat in the strike zone on a more regular basis.
    We heard Heisey, Pedro Villareal and Ryan Hannigan read stories and all seemed happy to be there and stuck around a long time to sign autographs. Heisey read the story kinda like he had to, signed like 2 autographs and walked away quickly. Kinda like he was in a bad mood.

Two of the biggest jerks in Reds history wore #14 and #5 so it isn't a big deal to me if an athlete is a pompous jerk but I could definitely tell Heisey was in not to good of a mood.

However I probally would not of been in to good of a mood either had the situation been the same for me.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 12-08-2012 at 06:11 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    He had his chance last spring to earn that spot and did nothing with the opportunity. Sometimes you only get a chance or two to make your case. He may have let his slip away.
    Heisey himself admitted that on Mo's show on Friday that he has only himself to blame. The job was his to take and he knew he didn't rise to the occasion.

He also said he was going to be a school teacher before the Reds signed him, and probably will be when he's done playing ball, and really enjoyed reading to the kids last year, and was looking forward to it this year.

Also, I believe that Jay Bruce is getting married tonight in Texas, and many Reds were hurrying to get there, for what it's worth.

Then again, maybe he is a jerk, I have no idea!
    sorry we're boring

Sometimes a bad day is just that a bad day. Hopefully this one is out of Heisey's system. Glad to have Ludwick back in the fold.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Heisey is a good guy and a great 4th OF. Nothing more nothing less.
    Go BLUE!!!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

We heard Heisey, Pedro Villareal and Ryan Hannigan read stories and all seemed happy to be there and stuck around a long time to sign autographs. Heisey read the story kinda like he had to, signed like 2 autographs and walked away quickly. Kinda like he was in a bad mood.

Two of the biggest jerks in Reds history wore #14 and #5 so it isn't a big deal to me if an athlete is a pompous jerk but I could definitely tell Heisey was in not to good of a mood.

However I probally would not of been in to good of a mood either had the situation been the same for me.
    I never would've believed that about Bench until I met him. You're unfortunately right. He was BY FAR my favorite...until I met him.

As for Pete, his public persona and him one-on-one are two totally different things from my personal experience. Pete was kind, friendly, generous with his time...totally the opposite of what you'd expect. And he has been that same way with me each time I've met him (around a half dozen times...all before the incident).

Nice deal for the Reds. I'm glad to have Ludwick back.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

The signing pretty much cements the 2013 lineup, unless we get shocked by a CF deal in the next month.

Phillips 2b
    Cozart SS
    Votto 1b
    Ludwick LF
    Bruce RF
    Frazier 3b
    Stubbs CF
    Hanigan/Mes C
    P

I'm sure ill gripe about it at some point during the season, but for now, ill take it. Here's hoping Cozart takes a big step forward, Frazier and Luddy maintain their 2012 success, and the bats are more than enough to complement the lights-out rotation on the way to another division title.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I never would've believed that about Bench until I met him. You're unfortunately right. He was BY FAR my favorite...until I met him.

As for Pete, his public persona and him one-on-one are two totally different things from my personal experience. Pete was kind, friendly, generous with his time...totally the opposite of what you'd expect. And he has been that same way with me each time I've met him (around a half dozen times...all before the incident).
    I had the opposite experience with Bench; I heard what a jerk he was, but when I met him about 5 years ago at a sports stag, he was great- funny, made eye contact, shook hands, made small talk. I asked him who threw the hardest of any Reds pitcher during his time, and he didn't hesitate- "Wayne Simpson wore me out."

I've also met Rose a few times in the past, as part of a small group, and Pete was just as you described. The man just loves to talk about baseball. It's a shame his inner demons caused him to make so many poor decisions. He could have been baseball's greatest ambassador.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    The signing pretty much cements the 2013 lineup, unless we get shocked by a CF deal in the next month.

Phillips 2b
    Cozart SS
    Votto 1b
    Ludwick LF
    Bruce RF
    Frazier 3b
    Stubbs CF
    Hanigan/Mes C
    P

I'm sure ill gripe about it at some point during the season, but for now, ill take it. Here's hoping Cozart takes a big step forward, Frazier and Luddy maintain their 2012 success, and the bats are more than enough to complement the lights-out rotation on the way to another division title.
    I would find this lineup very disappointing. Against RHP it would present the same problems as the last two years. It would add nothing to last years mix, except Frazier for Rolen.

Phillips almost never walks, he is not a lead off man. With Cozart and Stubbs there are two OBP holes.

The Reds must add a guy who gets on base against righties, even a platoon man. Then Stubbs can sit against righties and Cozart can drop lower in the order.

The need is so crystal clear I, for one, would be unhappy if it doesn't get addressed.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I had the opposite experience with Bench; I heard what a jerk he was, but when I met him about 5 years ago at a sports stag, he was great- funny, made eye contact, shook hands, made small talk. I asked him who threw the hardest of any Reds pitcher during his time, and he didn't hesitate- "Wayne Simpson wore me out."

I've also met Rose a few times in the past, as part of a small group, and Pete was just as you described. The man just loves to talk about baseball. It's a shame his inner demons caused him to make so many poor decisions. He could have been baseball's greatest ambassador.
    Great to hear you had positive experiences. I only met JB once and it was pretty crushing for a kid to hear him say "get the hell away from me kid". All I was doing is asking for an autograph. I waited for him to finish talking to who he was with respectfully, and asked "Mr. Bench" politely...and got that response. It certainly knocked him down a bunch of pegs in my pecking order. And I agree with you 100% on Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I would find this lineup very disappointing. Against RHP it would present the same problems as the last two years. It would add nothing to last years mix, except Frazier for Rolen.

Phillips almost never walks, he is not a lead off man. With Cozart and Stubbs there are two OBP holes.

The Reds must add a guy who gets on base against righties, even a platoon man. Then Stubbs can sit against righties and Cozart can drop lower in the order.

The need is so crystal clear I, for one, would be unhappy if it doesn't get addressed.
    That darn lineup only won 97 games last year.

Turn Off Ads?