Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AWESOME article on Aroldis Chapman

AWESOME article on Aroldis Chapman

http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/fe...spx?ID=1885174

It's long but well worth the read. Goes into a lot of details about his personal life, defection, trouble with the law, his behavior, etc. Very, very, interesting article and once you read the article, it becomes apparent just how much the Reds FO is doing to try and keep him on the right path.

-Matt

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: AWESOME article on Aroldis Chapman

Good read. Unfortunately it didn't do much to squish my feeling AC isn't mentally capable of being real deal starting pitcher. It's on now though, so only time will tell.

Chapman isn't mentally capable of being a starting pitcher?

Have you seen some of the pitching stars that have been successful in baseball?

5. Likes:

Griffey012 (02-18-2013),marcshoe (02-19-2013)

...speaking of strikeouts, according to ESPN, Chapman got 50 of them on pitches of 100-plus MPH. The rest of baseball managed only 52, combined.
    Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Chapman isn't mentally capable of being a starting pitcher?

Have you seen some of the pitching stars that have been successful in baseball?
    Sometimes that works in your favor. All we need Chapman to do and know how to do is take the catchers sign, throw hard, throw to the glove, and field his position. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to do that. Maybe the less he knows in terms of the grand spectrum of it all is better. Less pressure on him.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    All we need Chapman to do and know how to do is take the catchers sign, throw hard, throw to the glove, and field his position
    If only it were that easy. Thats what it takes to be a good relief pitcher. To be a good starting pitcher requires constant study of the game. It means long hours going over film and game planning.

I do, however, believe Bryan Price has what it takes to keep his mind in the game while he's on the mound, and in the video room

For a Level Playing Field

I wonder how many of us (in our early twenties) were immature, drove too fast and chased women? HERE! I hope I am not being too open with this comment. I need to give the media something or they might create some stories/guesses about my personal life even though they have no right to know about me on a personal level.

Not sure, but AC seemed mentally under control while pitching last season. Even when his control escaped him like that ONE GAME against Detroit. Obviously a starter and a closer are a lot different. But from a pressure thing it seems that a closer is under more pressure than a starter. The Louisville stories were interesting, but they were also 2 years ago.

I hope for the best as we all do. But I am willing to see our fav team take that chance. And I hope AC has matured on and off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Good read. Unfortunately it didn't do much to squish my feeling AC isn't mentally capable of being real deal starting pitcher. It's on now though, so only time will tell.
    I really don't understand where this kind of feeling comes from. And why did you expect an article to "squish" them anyway?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I really don't understand where this kind of feeling comes from. And why did you expect an article to "squish" them anyway?
    You know, the part of the article that keeps me thinking AC isn't a REAL MLB starter, isnt the girls or the fast cars or the ridiculous somersault, or even that he has made several of these mistakes multiple times. Its that he would take the time to change his vanity plates from 102-103-104-105. That screams mental midget and "look at me" mindset. Sounds like something John Rocker would do frankly.

I didnt "expect" anything from the article. I just read it, thats it.
    Last edited by TSJ55; 02-18-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    You know, the part of the article that keeps me thinking AC isn't a REAL MLB starter, isnt the girls or the fast cars or the ridiculous somersault, or even that he has made several of these mistakes multiple times. Its that he would take the time to change his vanity plates from 102-103-104-105. That screams mental midget and "look at me" mindset. Sounds like something John Rocker would do frankly.
    Are you saying Aroldis Chapman is the Usain Bolt of baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    Are you saying Aroldis Chapman is the Usain Bolt of baseball?
    Ha! Possibly. I dont follow sprinters or sprinting but it would seem AC would be more suited to a one dimensional event like that, yeah.

Haunted by walks

He wouldn"t be the most fragile psyche to put on a Reds uniform.

I'm sorry, but I don't think I'd call that article "awesome." It was a whole lot of trying to connect dots that I'm not really sure add up. Is Chapman a perfect individual? Is he Joey Votto where his biggest flaw is he likes nice shirts and coffee? No. However, he's a 24 year old. Brandon Phillips was acquired by the Reds when he was 25, and the Indians gave up on him largely because of his attitude and very little to do with his talent. Chapman isn't really even 24 either. He went from a communist country to being able to do whatever he wants whenever he wants. It's obvious he likes fancy things and partying, so it's not really a surprise his transition may not have been the smoothest.

This part is just dumb to me.
    But from June 7 through June 24 (Streak B), Chapman struggled: 6.1 innings, eight runs, four losses.
    Really? You're going to pick out 6 innings from a reliever and try to paint that out to be a streak? No, that's grasping at straws.

Him having a "look at me" attitude has pretty much nothing to do with his on field play. Brandon Phillips may be the most "look at me" player in all of baseball right now, and in his time in Cincinnati it has never effected his on field play. He's so look at me he said he plays the game with flash because baseball is boring, and god bless him for that.

If you don't like Chapman being flashy, that's fine, but I think this was an article trying to put things together that don't really mesh. I have no doubt Chapman needs to gain some maturity, but I also think that's natural considering where he comes from and how much fame and money was handed to him as soon as he got to freedom.

I remember a time when people were questioning the mental makeup of Johnny Cueto on here (as well as his hair).
    Last edited by reds44; 02-18-2013 at 10:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

To me, closing needs more mental fortitude than starting. Sure, starting is harder and has a bigger physical toll, and starting requires more preparation (even mentally). But I think closing is as much mental as it is physical.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't think I'd call that article "awesome." It was a whole lot of trying to connect dots that I'm not really sure add up. Is Chapman a perfect individual? Is he Joey Votto where his biggest flaw is he likes nice shirts and coffee? No. However, he's a 24 year old. Brandon Phillips was acquired by the Reds when he was 25, and the Indians gave up on him largely because of his attitude and very little to do with his talent. Chapman isn't really even 24 either. He went from a communist country to being able to do whatever he wants whenever he wants. It's obvious he likes fancy things and partying, so it's not really a surprise his transition may not have been the smoothest.
    I thought the same thing. It sounded like this guy laid out the story line of Chapman as enigmatic rebel and then filled in the details anyway he could. All I learned was that Chapman likes women and sped on an empty highway at 1:00 in the morning. You could antagonize half the team with criteria like that.

18. Likes:

RedEye (02-19-2013)

Turn Off Ads?