Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman to start? Maybe not

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Chapman to start? Maybe not

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    The Broxton deal would make no sense at all then
    The Reds made it clear to Broxton when they signed him that he could be a setup guy or closer, no guarantees.

I think this was stipulated in case Chapman bombs as a starter and has to return to closing.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He would refer to both Stubbs and Bruce as 5 tool guys.
    I wish he were still a GM somewhere. We could fleece him twice a season.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Bronson Arroyo: "Chapman starting will be very difficult."

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2...ery-difficult/

Totally agree with Bronson.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post

I just worry that people are going to expect him to go out there and have a 1.51 ERA and strike out 400 people and walk 12, you know what I mean. It’s just not that way. … I’m worried that the expectations are going to be too great. I think he’ll be successful. I don’t think he’s going to be as successful for another two or three years as people are going to expect him to be right out of the gate.

Sam LeCure

For the Reds to get maximum value out of Chapman for the time they control him, my opinion is that they get that if he is the closer. At this time, I think they will be grooming him as a starter for someone else, that is, if he succeeds as a starter. I know a lot of you guys disagree. Just my opinion.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I like how Bronson conveniently doesn't even mention Chapman's slider and acts like the only pitch he's ever thrown is a fastball.

I like Bronson and I've agreed with a lot of the things he's said before. Not this one, though. It's basically a load of crap.

To me it seems like Bronson and Dusty are protecting Leake.

Chapman has a great slider, but I'm not sure that he has the command of it, needed to be a starting pitcher. He definitely doesn't have a third pitch that he can go to. I guess we will see how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    To me it seems like Bronson and Dusty are protecting Leake.
    LeCure too?

I tend to listen to pitchers when they talk about pitching myself, learn something everytime

Bronson's candor is refreshing. I tend to agree with him but I'd like to know what's in Chapman's head. Does he want to start or is he like Pappelbon and does he crave the excitement of the 9th inning? Just reading his body language I think he prefers being the savior of all Reds wins.

I tend to agree with Bronson and if Aroldis does start, he'll be a 5 or 6 inning guy. Is that really more valuable than a shut down closer? I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    LeCure too?

I tend to listen to pitchers when they talk about pitching myself, learn something everytime
    I think Bronson makes some good points, I did listen. It's pure speculation on my part about protecting Leake.

Chapman will go all Verlander next season, guaranteed.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I actually expect there to be problems with Chapman starting.

I'm fine with giving it a chance, but I don't think it will work out as well as many are hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I like how Bronson conveniently doesn't even mention Chapman's slider and acts like the only pitch he's ever thrown is a fastball.

I like Bronson and I've agreed with a lot of the things he's said before. Not this one, though. It's basically a load of crap.
    This is where I think people are under-estimating the difference between a starter and a reliever. As a reliever throwing 100 MPH+ and seeing 3 or 4 hitters every couple of days, he throws the hard stuff, they start swinging really early and then the knee buckling slider comes and the hitter looks foolish chasing it out of the zone.

As a starter, he's facing guys multiple times per game. He's not throwing as hard, guys get a better read on the timing and they won't be chasing that slider as much as it breaks out of the zone. For that to be a viable pitch, he's going to have to get it over the plate. I'm not convinced he's ready to do that consistently. He'll probably be ok the first time through the order. I'm a skeptic about the middle innings.

He can't just throw a pretty slider that has a nasty break. He's going to have to get it over the plate.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    This is where I think people are under-estimating the difference between a starter and a reliever. As a reliever throwing 100 MPH+ and seeing 3 or 4 hitters every couple of days, he throws the hard stuff, they start swinging really early and then the knee buckling slider comes and the hitter looks foolish chasing it out of the zone.

As a starter, he's facing guys multiple times per game. He's not throwing as hard, guys get a better read on the timing and they won't be chasing that slider as much as it breaks out of the zone. For that to be a viable pitch, he's going to have to get it over the plate. I'm not convinced he's ready to do that consistently. He'll probably be ok the first time through the order. I'm a skeptic about the middle innings.

He can't just throw a pretty slider that has a nasty break. He's going to have to get it over the plate.
    Yep

Turn Off Ads?