Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Kubel or Parra?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Kubel or Parra?

Obviously Upton is the Holy Grail of Arizona outfielders, but could either of these two lesser options be more realistic targets for the Reds? It seems that the D-Backs are really exploring dealing Kubel. He's a brick in the OF, but he does have favorable splits against RHP - though then we have the old lefty logjam in the middle of the order.

Parra also hits righties very well, plays excellent defense, and could be the ideal CF target. I believe he primarily plays LF, but he consistently grades so well defensively that perhaps expecting him to play center is reasonable. He would be the perfect platoon partner for Stubbs - Parra would be the starter with Stubbs filling in against tougher lefties.

Kubel makes 7.5M with a mutual option for 2014 - compared to the 4/40 Pagan got and the 3/30 Victorino is seemingly about to get, that seems pretty attractive. I wouldn't be surprised if Ludwick gets 10 million annually for 2 years, or held out for 3.

I imagine Didi would be enough to nab either. We might even be able to parlay him into bringing a few guys back. Though if Didi is too great a cost, maybe Ludwick is the better option after all. Just spit-balling here. I kinda like that we would be able to address the OF without losing pitching OR too much cash.

Re: Kubel or Parra?

It's tough to look past the Rolls Royce on the lot isn't it?

I don't know that I would give Didi for either of them, but they are good trade targets nonetheless

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    Obviously Upton is the Holy Grail of Arizona outfielders, but could either of these two lesser options be more realistic targets for the Reds? It seems that the D-Backs are really exploring dealing Kubel. He's a brick in the OF, but he does have favorable splits against RHP - though then we have the old lefty logjam in the middle of the order.

Parra also hits righties very well, plays excellent defense, and could be the ideal CF target. I believe he primarily plays LF, but he consistently grades so well defensively that perhaps expecting him to play center is reasonable. He would be the perfect platoon partner for Stubbs - Parra would be the starter with Stubbs filling in against tougher lefties.

I could get down with Parra big time. I know Gibson was really optimistic about his play in center field, even if he hasn't gotten a ton of time there yet. First year of arbitration eligibility and doesn't hit free agency until 2016. Respectable OBP and had a .286/.360/.408 line against righties last year. As you mentioned, a great platoon fit for Stubbs if nothing else.

I gotta admit, I've been totally thrown off what Didi's actual value is right now. I like him a lot... but up until I saw him mentioned in the same breath as Profar during some of this Justin Upton spitballing, I never thought he was an "elite" trade chip, if you will. If he's got value even in the Profar stratosphere, you could get more than Parra. But if his numbers alone are more indicative of his value going forward (and I know he's a spectacular defender) I think I might do that. SS feels a little redundant with Cozart so recently arrived.

I think we have enough Kubel-like guys on the team. But wouldn't mind Parra one bit. He's not an elite leadoff option to the tune of a .380 OBP or anything, but could definitely be an improvement over what we have and probably pretty affordably.
    Last edited by Larkin88; 12-04-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Parra has a better arm than Stubbs and Bruce.

Thinking about it, I'd happily swap Didi for Parra straight up. He's exactly what we need, and I think Didi's trade value has probably been way overblown. There's no way he's on a Profar/Simmons level like that Gammons tweet indicated.

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    Thinking about it, I'd happily swap Didi for Parra straight up. He's exactly what we need, and I think Didi's trade value has probably been way overblown. There's no way he's on a Profar/Simmons level like that Gammons tweet indicated.
    Sounds like a winner to me.

Turn Off Ads?