Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Now The Time To Trade Bailey?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Is Now The Time To Trade Bailey?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    No (short answer)

(Longer answer): No one is untouchable. If the Reds had Mickey Mantle in his prime I wouldn't be looking to trade him but if I was offered Willie Mays and Juan Marichal I would make the trade.
    I like pitching depth. If someone wants Homer I would want a good return.
    Agreed.

I think the Reds are setting themselves up perfectly the more I think about it.

If they sign Ludwick, they have all positions filled.

1B Votto, backup Frazier
    2B Phillips
    SS Cozart, backup Gregorius
    3B Frazier, backup Rolen or utility guy
    LF Ludwick, backup Heisey
    CF Stubbs, backup Heisey with B Hamilton in the wings
    RF Bruce
    C Hanigan, backup Mez

SP Cueto
    SP Latos
    SP Bailey
    SP Arroyo
    SP Chapman
    SP Leake
    Depth - Redmond, Cingrani, Corcino, Villareal, Sharky Rogers

CL Broxton, or possibly Chapman
    RP - Marshall, Hoover, Lecure, Ondrusek, Arredondo, Simon?

Talk about continuity with guys in the wings.

The Reds don't really need to do any trades. This put them in position to consider trades without having to do anything. Which basically means they'd have to be overwhelmed to realistically consider a trade. I like being in that position.
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 12-05-2012 at 08:42 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    If the Reds had Mickey Mantle in his prime I wouldn't be looking to trade him but if I was offered Willie Mays and Juan Marichal I would make the trade.
    I like pitching depth. If someone wants Homer I would want a good return.
    See the Matt Latos trade. Both teams "won" the trade.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

I don't why you would want to trade Bailey when it finally looks like he has turned the corner and will be a really good, solid starter. The Reds have the makings of one whale of a good rotation. Latos,Cueto,Bailey,Chapman and for next season Arroyo. With Leake and Cingrani waiting in the wings. Also Stephenson in two to three seasons. Unless you get bowled over by a trade proposal, for someone like Giancarlo Stanton, I wouldn't touch any of those starters. The holes the Reds need filling can be done by signing free agents or trading other parts other than anyone in the rotation.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I don't think Bailey is necessarily an ace, but I do think he's a solid #2.
    I think he could be a #2 here but I wouldn't count on that as long as Latos and Cueto are healthy. I do think he would be the de facto #1 on a team like the Rockies.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    If there's anything that can stop a playoff caliber team from reaching the playoffs, it's injuries, particularly to the pitching staff. If you trade Bailey, an injury to the rotation means that you're using LeCure, Redmond, Villarreal, et al for an extended period of time--and that's taking for granted that Chapman will be an effective starter.
    The Reds were very, very fortunate last year since none of the starters missed time due to injuries. That's not something you can count on for next year or the year after. I'm ambivalent on trading him to COLO for Fowler. I see the need for a true leadoff hitter but I'd hate to give up pitching depth - especially if Homer continues his success from late last year.

Perhaps Homer would like to go someplace where he can be the big kahuna. If he stays here, he's 2 injuries - maybe 3 if Chapman starts - from being the #1 guy here. He's been a constant source of ire from fans here so perhaps he would want to go elsewhere where he can get a fresh start and be the man. Not that he has any say in the matter now but if the Reds are pushing him to sign a long term deal, he may tell his agent to not agree to anything because he wants to test the free agent waters. If he doesn't sign long-term, the Reds might just trade him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

He is the best chip to deal to improve the Reds' offense. By moving Bailey you basically have the same rotation as last year except for Chapmen replacing Bailey. That seems likely to be about the same. Factor in Bailey's health issues in the past, if the Reds can get a not over the hill stud outfielder like Upton such a trade could be what puts the Reds over the top. The Reds would still have 3 TOR starters come playoffs without him.

That said, it is great to have the starting pitching depth the Reds enjoy with Bailey in the fold. It would be a risky move. At the end of the day I don't see it happening; there really don't seem to be any strong partners for such a trade.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

The Broxton signing says to me that the Reds don't intend to do that much with their core pitching, both starters and relievers. I expect (hope) that they will move Leake, but I think that will be the only really major move. I would like more depth to shore everything up until we know how durable and effective Chapman is as a starter.

I get this. I'm in the no-one-is-untradeable camp ultimately. The Reds have comparatively few holes to fill, but the ones they do are ones with few candidates who will require a lot to get them. I see their most golden legitimate trading chips right now to be Bailey and Hamilton, and I really doubt they'd deal Hamilton. Bailey is more likely, but I think they'll only do it if they get a real stud to fill center field or perhaps shortstop. Honestly, I don't think that will happen. Their pitching is, for once, something they don't have to worry a lot about right now, so for the most part I think they are tending toward leaving it alone (and thus possibly not filling those few holes).
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I run the gambit on Bailey. There were times that I was finished with him and times I was enamored with him. Right now I think I would rather trade Cueto than Bailey. He really matured down the stretch last season and was their best pitcher as the season closed. Something clicked for him last year and he really took off.

I would extend both Bailey and Latos now and not think twice about it. Both are protypical power pitchers and have the frames to go along with it. I think that if Chapman gives the Reds anything similar to what Bailey did last year most of us would be thrilled. It was a roller coaster ride with Homer for the first handful of years but now is the time to reap what he has become.

Turn Off Ads?