Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Five Trades I Make

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,748

    Five Trades I Make

    Obviously most if not all of these would be mutually exclusive. In this order:

    1. Gregorius, Leake, Cingrani, and Lutz for Justin Upton
    2. Stubbs, Leake, and Lutz for Ellsbury
    3. Heisey, Corcino and Lotzkar for Choo
    4. Leake, Cingrani and Stubbs for Fowler
    5. Bailey and Stubbs for Fowler and Pomeranz

    Now tell me which one(s) of these are wildly unrealistic/one-sided.
    Go BLUE!!!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amarillo,Texas
    Posts
    4,327

    Re: Five Trades I Make

    5 might be, if the Reds are going to offer Bailey a long term extension as Fay referenced. NM, I just saw Jocketty mentioned he hasn't discussed a LTC deal with Bailey.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 12-04-2012 at 10:50 PM.

  4. #3
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: Five Trades I Make

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Obviously most if not all of these would be mutually exclusive. In this order:

    1. Gregorius, Leake, Cingrani, and Lutz for Justin Upton
    2. Stubbs, Leake, and Lutz for Ellsbury
    3. Heisey, Corcino and Lotzkar for Choo
    4. Leake, Cingrani and Stubbs for Fowler
    5. Bailey and Stubbs for Fowler and Pomeranz

    Now tell me which one(s) of these are wildly unrealistic/one-sided.
    Where are the Reds going to get the money to pay for 1-3? The Rockies might be interested in something similar to #4, but Stubbs practically has negative value right now. #5 is an underpay, and I don't think your giving enough credit to how much Colorado likes Pomeranz.

  5. #4
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,001

    Re: Five Trades I Make

    I don't think any team with access to baseballreference.com will be too interested in Drew Stubbs.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

  6. #5
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,632

    Re: Five Trades I Make

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I don't think any team with access to baseballreference.com will be too interested in Drew Stubbs.
    I am constantly amazed at how few execs seem to reference such stats wgeb making deals...Stubbs has tools...there are always Jimbos out there that won't see past his potential. Looking at sone of this winter's contracts I'm stunned. Ludwick at 2/14m for instance suddenly looks extremely attractive, even cheap.

  7. #6
    Member paulrichjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Savannah, TN
    Posts
    2,875

    Re: Five Trades I Make

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I don't think any team with access to baseballreference.com will be too interested in Drew Stubbs.
    So you think the Astros might be interested then?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

  8. #7
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,343

    Re: Five Trades I Make

    Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    So you think the Astros might be interested then?
    Hey now. They HAVE access to baseballreference.com. They just don't know HOW to access the site, that's all .

  9. #8
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,698

    Re: Five Trades I Make

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Obviously most if not all of these would be mutually exclusive. In this order:

    1. Gregorius, Leake, Cingrani, and Lutz for Justin Upton
    2. Stubbs, Leake, and Lutz for Ellsbury
    3. Heisey, Corcino and Lotzkar for Choo
    4. Leake, Cingrani and Stubbs for Fowler
    5. Bailey and Stubbs for Fowler and Pomeranz

    Now tell me which one(s) of these are wildly unrealistic/one-sided.
    I like the Heisey, Corcino, Lotzkar package the best. I think Choo would be an awesome acquisition if he could be had for that. Not really wanting to deal any of the current 6 starters, Didi or Cingrani at this point.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  10. #9
    Member hebroncougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,218
    Instead of any of the above, I'll take my chances this year plus the next three with these players and prospects. With, hopefully a healthy Joey Votto. I'm not make any trades unless its for an impact player that is proven at this point. I'd do a Stanton deal and that's about it.

    Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,748

    Re: Five Trades I Make

    Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Instead of any of the above, I'll take my chances this year plus the next three with these players and prospects. With, hopefully a healthy Joey Votto. I'm not make any trades unless its for an impact player that is proven at this point. I'd do a Stanton deal and that's about it.

    Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    So are you suggesting that none of the OF mentioned are "impact players that are proven"?
    Go BLUE!!!

  12. #11
    Member hebroncougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,218

    Re: Five Trades I Make

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    So are you suggesting that none of the OF mentioned are "impact players that are proven"?
    Not enough to give up what you'd have to at this point. I don't trust Upton going forward, especially with that contract. Ellsbury can't stay healthy, and would only be here for one year (Boras client), Choo likewise (Boras client), and Fowler is nothing more than a Coors field creation (.700 OPS career on the road). So no, I wouldn't. I know some people are willing to take that risk, but I don't want a one year gamble on Ellsbury, or Choo, I don't want to tie up that money in Upton who is far, far from a sure thing. I think he's likely to go the way of his brother. I think the Reds are built for long term success with their pitching, especially with Corcino and Cingrani in the wings. They won 97 games last year with Stubbs in CF, and Votto playing on one leg for 1/2 the year. The pitching health won't hold again, but that's why I hold onto Corcino and Cingrani.
    Last edited by hebroncougar; 12-05-2012 at 08:23 AM.

  13. #12
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Five Trades I Make

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Obviously most if not all of these would be mutually exclusive. In this order:

    1. Gregorius, Leake, Cingrani, and Lutz for Justin Upton
    2. Stubbs, Leake, and Lutz for Ellsbury
    3. Heisey, Corcino and Lotzkar for Choo
    4. Leake, Cingrani and Stubbs for Fowler
    5. Bailey and Stubbs for Fowler and Pomeranz

    Now tell me which one(s) of these are wildly unrealistic/one-sided.
    The problem is that Choo and Ellsbury are 1 year rentals, yet their current teams are wanting a kings ransom for them. And the Reds can probably not afford to sign either of them long term at this point. I'd be interested in Choo for LF if we could sign him to an extension.

    Upton and Fowler are under reasonable control for a few more years. But again, both current teams want a kings ransom for them. Both are still young, Upton 25, Fowler 26, and their best years are probably ahead of them.

    I think Bailey for Fowler is an overpay. I think Leake/Stubbs for Fowler would be more fair.

    Upton is out of the picture at this point as the Reds have a near signing of Ludwick.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  14. #13
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,148

    Re: Five Trades I Make

    Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Not enough to give up what you'd have to at this point. I don't trust Upton going forward, especially with that contract. Ellsbury can't stay healthy, and would only be here for one year (Boras client), Choo likewise (Boras client), and Fowler is nothing more than a Coors field creation (.700 OPS career on the road). So no, I wouldn't. I know some people are willing to take that risk, but I don't want a one year gamble on Ellsbury, or Choo, I don't want to tie up that money in Upton who is far, far from a sure thing. I think he's likely to go the way of his brother. I think the Reds are built for long term success with their pitching, especially with Corcino and Cingrani in the wings. They won 97 games last year with Stubbs in CF, and Votto playing on one leg for 1/2 the year. The pitching health won't hold again, but that's why I hold onto Corcino and Cingrani.
    Agreed.

    Now if an extension could be worked out at a non-payroll-breaking rate for Choo...I'd reconsider. But I don't see that happening unfortunately...because I think he'd be a perfect fit as a player.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  15. #14
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,114

    Re: Five Trades I Make

    My trade

    Trevor Bauer for Didi.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  16. #15
    .377 in 1905 CySeymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Carmel, IN
    Posts
    2,098

    Re: Five Trades I Make

    I honestly think the Red Sox hang up on the Reds if they call and offer that package for Ellsbury
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25