Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Idea: Pete Rose for Extra Innings Show

  1. #16
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,729

    Re: Idea: Pete Rose for Extra Innings Show

    700 wlw used to have star quality, now it's just filled with knobbers.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,145

    Re: Idea: Pete Rose for Extra Innings Show

    As someone who didn't grow up idolizing Pete Rose, I was 11 when he was banned, I don't care to listen to him. When I do, I can't help but think that it is a self serving ego trip when he does talk baseball. I like the stories of the Big Red Machine and such, but frankly I would rather listen to Marc Amazon. I get very annoyed with Doc Rogers, I could only imagine how a Pete Rose show would go. Every caller telling him how he used to love to watch him, and then no one would be allowed to argue with Pete.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  4. #18
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,258

    Re: Idea: Pete Rose for Extra Innings Show

    Please no.

  5. #19
    Stat geek...and proud
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Paris, OH
    Posts
    2,572

    Re: Idea: Pete Rose for Extra Innings Show

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Pete used to have a syndicated radio show. I can't remember if it was before or after the ban.. I think it was after though.

    Pete was great when he was telling stories about Eric Davis, etc.. stories from playing or managing or talking about hitting.. Other than that, he talked in cliches and was pretty boring (like most talk show hosts are). He's been away from the game so long now, that I'm not sure his stories would be as cool. Not many people remember the Reds from the 80's..
    LOL I used to listen to that show when I was in, I think, 8th grade or so. WHON in Richmond, IN carried it. I actually called in a couple of times and they put me on the air, and I was, like, 13. My recollection is that I did pretty well for a kid.

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,616

    Re: Idea: Pete Rose for Extra Innings Show

    If Pete Rose had been a Cards players all those years, he'd be hated more around here than Chris Carpenter.

  7. #21
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,385

    Re: Idea: Pete Rose for Extra Innings Show

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    If Pete Rose had been a Cards players all those years, he'd be hated more around here than Chris Carpenter.
    Perhaps. My late grandmother was a Cubs fan and she couldn't stand him. I'm sure Phillies fans have a soft spot for him.

    I think a lot of non-Reds/Phillies fans have kind of warmed up to him in the 80s and after. I think he got a kind of grudging respect from fans when he was in his 40s going after Cobb's record. While he may have lost some of that respect over the banishment, he may have gained some back during the steroid-era. He and his defenders will say Pete didn't use artificial enhancement to break the records he broke.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  8. #22
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,729

    Re: Idea: Pete Rose for Extra Innings Show

    If not Rose, then I think having guest spots for Larkin, Davis, O'Neil, Casey, Morgan, etc would be very cool, although some of those guys would probably play the safe card all show long. Pete Rose tells it like it is, if not, he at least acts like he tells it like it is. One way to fix the PC nature of the show would be to have a week long residency for these guys, so eventually the bs would reside and baseball talk would get better. So far the only guy that could hold down the show for a full season would be Rose, IMO.

    Finally, I'll admit to not having much fatigue with Rose due to less exposure to his career. I didn't want to bring up any of the bad vibes surrounding him, but that seems to be the first thing on many minds.

    This show isn't about that and would be a way of moving past that stuff, and getting closer to the game for Pete. He's in Siberia as it is. Maybe he could make the broadcast HOF, haha.

  9. #23
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,636

    Re: Idea: Pete Rose for Extra Innings Show

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    If not Rose, then I think having guest spots for Larkin, Davis, O'Neil, Casey, Morgan, etc would be very cool, although some of those guys would probably play the safe card all show long. Pete Rose tells it like it is, if not, he at least acts like he tells it like it is. One way to fix the PC nature of the show would be to have a week long residency for these guys, so eventually the bs would reside and baseball talk would get better. So far the only guy that could hold down the show for a full season would be Rose, IMO.

    Finally, I'll admit to not having much fatigue with Rose due to less exposure to his career. I didn't want to bring up any of the bad vibes surrounding him, but that seems to be the first thing on many minds.

    This show isn't about that and would be a way of moving past that stuff, and getting closer to the game for Pete. He's in Siberia as it is. Maybe he could make the broadcast HOF, haha.
    That's a lot of talent for a AM radio show, what is the actual audience for such a show?

    I know I watch the games, skip pregame and post game noise myself, who watches these shows and do they care about Pete 23 years after he was banned?

    That's a whole generation.

  10. #24
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,729

    Re: Idea: Pete Rose for Extra Innings Show

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That's a lot of talent for a AM radio show, what is the actual audience for such a show?

    I know I watch the games, skip pregame and post game noise myself, who watches these shows and do they care about Pete 23 years after he was banned?

    That's a whole generation.
    That's part of why this fits. It's not really about the banishment. IMO, Pete is such a great talker, he'd beat anyone else for filling the EI show. If there are more people that don't know or care much about the banishment, that could serve the greater purpose of, 'this is Pete Rose today, great baseball mind (and if you didn't catch on sooner one of the best ever to play).

    I know the attention would start to wear on people, including Pete in some ways, but when people call Marty a HOFer, it's not tiresome, it's perhaps emptied out a bit, but I think Rose could age more gracefully in the context of the Reds, Cincinnati, and baseball fans. He's our Barry Bonds, it's irrational, but he belongs to us. In the end, I think it comes together perfectly, except I guess, for the people that can't stand the guy.

  11. #25
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,385

    Re: Idea: Pete Rose for Extra Innings Show

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    If not Rose, then I think having guest spots for Larkin, Davis, O'Neil, Casey, Morgan, etc would be very cool, although some of those guys would probably play the safe card all show long. Pete Rose tells it like it is, if not, he at least acts like he tells it like it is. One way to fix the PC nature of the show would be to have a week long residency for these guys, so eventually the bs would reside and baseball talk would get better. So far the only guy that could hold down the show for a full season would be Rose, IMO.
    As I said about the idea of Pete hosting the show, if you have these guest stars hosting the show, it won't take long before it turns into, "Hey, (fill in the blank with your favorite guest host) remember when you did such and such? That was awesome!" You don't want to have the host overwhelm the show. The show is about Reds baseball - preferably the current team. Nostalgia is great every now and then but then it ceases to be a novelty. The people calling the show should be calling about Dusty's latest screwup or Billy Hamilton or if Jay Bruce will ever be a superstar or Homer's ups and downs.

    Having these guys on as a guest would be great - as I'm sure it was during the show on Tuesday. But don't draw attention away from the current product on the field by reminiscing about the past.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  12. #26
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,729

    Re: Idea: Pete Rose for Extra Innings Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    As I said about the idea of Pete hosting the show, if you have these guest stars hosting the show, it won't take long before it turns into, "Hey, (fill in the blank with your favorite guest host) remember when you did such and such? That was awesome!" You don't want to have the host overwhelm the show. The show is about Reds baseball - preferably the current team. Nostalgia is great every now and then but then it ceases to be a novelty. The people calling the show should be calling about Dusty's latest screwup or Billy Hamilton or if Jay Bruce will ever be a superstar or Homer's ups and downs.

    Having these guys on as a guest would be great - as I'm sure it was during the show on Tuesday. But don't draw attention away from the current product on the field by reminiscing about the past.
    True. In my sense for the idea it would take a commitment to the tradition of the show to focus appropriately on the game that day and take lots of calls. It may be naive to assume Pete could do that frequently without telling too many old stories. The idea of that show is to serve the public, indulge the average fan, answer their questions. That in itself is usually enough, but is often very boring. If Pete were up to it, I think he could slot nicely in this role, but there are lots of things to avoid. If channeled properly it could really be a blast, too.

  13. #27
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,385

    Re: Idea: Pete Rose for Extra Innings Show

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    True. In my sense for the idea it would take a commitment to the tradition of the show to focus appropriately on the game that day and take lots of calls. It may be naive to assume Pete could do that frequently without telling too many old stories. The idea of that show is to serve the public, indulge the average fan, answer their questions. That in itself is usually enough, but is often very boring. If Pete were up to it, I think he could slot nicely in this role, but there are lots of things to avoid. If channeled properly it could really be a blast, too.
    I think Pete could do it if he watched Reds games. I have no doubt he could speak knowingly about the current team if given a chance. I just think the callers would turn it into "Pete Rose's Greatest Hits" and basically ignore the current team. I think Pete would indulge fans that wanted to talk about him not necessarily because he has a big ego but he would do it just to be courteous. That's one reason Tracy Jones didn't work out. It became, "I'm Tracy Jones and I used to play major league baseball therefore I know more than you do." I'm sure a lot of it was a put-on but it was annoying put-on.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  14. #28
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    21,001

    Re: Idea: Pete Rose for Extra Innings Show

    Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    LOL I used to listen to that show when I was in, I think, 8th grade or so. WHON in Richmond, IN carried it. I actually called in a couple of times and they put me on the air, and I was, like, 13. My recollection is that I did pretty well for a kid.
    Yea, I am older than you, but I called in once to talk to Pete.
    I'm sure you did fine. It's not like the bar was set that high.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  15. #29
    The rest is drama. marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the woods, with a shovel
    Posts
    5,149

    Re: Idea: Pete Rose for Extra Innings Show

    I would have an easier time listening to Pete being annoying than someone who hadn't earned that right. Honestly, I've thought for a while he'd be good hosting a show where he interviewed old players. That would be more interesting than a call in show Imho.

  16. #30
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,175

    Re: Idea: Pete Rose for Extra Innings Show

    I occasionaly listen to the show if I'm on a trip or something, and can get WLW in the car. 98.657% of the callers are idiots. 92.35% of the things the hosts say are idiotic.

    That's a large percentage of awfullishness.

    Pete would be worse.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25