Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Votto playing in the WBC....

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Votto playing in the WBC....

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...onoured-again/

Votto indicated he will play in the World Baseball Classic: “I thank the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame for recognizing my contributions to our division championship team,” Votto said. “This spring, I am very much looking forward to representing our country in the World Baseball Classic and having the opportunity again to play alongside the best baseball players in Canada.”

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Votto playing in the WBC....

I do not like this not one bit

Teams should start putting anti-WBC clauses in player contracts.

Actually, this might be a blessing in disguise. People will be able to see how much he has progressed from when he came back from his injury and his power was non-existent. This isn't Spring Training where he's facing guys who aren't throwing breaking stuff or minor leaguers. He will be facing first class pitching who are going to be giving it their all since they are playing for their country. If he isn't 100% perhaps the Reds are going to have to make some roster decisions they wouldn't have made otherwise. If that's the case, it may be easier to make a move in February and March than it would be in July.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Never going to happen. The WBC is an MLB showcase to try and promote the game worldwide.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I think it's great. He's such a hard worker, you know he's going to go into it with the season in mind. He'll want to find his home run swing and work on pitch recognition after playing essentially a half season. He's gonna come to spring training Opening Day ready.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

This has been a big conversation in my family the last couple of days. My son (18) trains with someone who is very very involved with the Canadian team and he has asked my son if he would like to go with him and basically spend a week with his family and the team... He knows we are huge Reds fans and of course that would mean possibility spending some time with Votto. The hard thing is my son plays on the High School team and is a senior this year. His season starts the next week after the WBC is over so he would miss a week of practice and a week of school. My son is super excited but I honestly don't know what to do.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    This has been a big conversation in my family the last couple of days. My son (18) trains with someone who is very very involved with the Canadian team and he has asked my son if he would like to go with him and basically spend a week with his family and the team... He knows we are huge Reds fans and of course that would mean possibility spending some time with Votto. The hard thing is my son plays on the High School team and is a senior this year. His season starts the next week after the WBC is over so he would miss a week of practice and a week of school. My son is super excited but I honestly don't know what to do.
    Sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity. Can't pass it up.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

All the things I've read lately have said that Joey is 100% healed now. I'm sure he just wants to get back on the baseball field and play the game again after not being able to do everything he wanted to after the injury. Hope Canada does better than they did last time!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

He knows we are huge Reds fans and of course that would mean possibility spending some time with Votto. The hard thing is my son plays on the High School team and is a senior this year. His season starts the next week after the WBC is over so he would miss a week of practice and a week of school. My son is super excited but I honestly don't know what to do.
    I wouldn't let him miss this. In the grand scheme of things, a week of high school is next to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    I'm with everyone else - this is the sort of chance you only get once, so he should go. Get with his teachers to have his assignments for him to work on during the trip at night and his coaches shouldn't mind him getting the chance to be around players of that caliber - he'll learn a ton about how to prepare like a pro.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    I'm with everyone else - this is the sort of chance you only get once, so he should go. Get with his teachers to have his assignments for him to work on during the trip at night and his coaches shouldn't mind him getting the chance to be around players of that caliber - he'll learn a ton about how to prepare like a pro.
    The last semester of HS everyone is goofing off anyway since all the college applications have been sent and everyone is just waiting for those acceptance letters.

He should go.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    I don't see the problem with this. How is it any different from spring training games?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I don't see the problem with this. How is it any different from spring training games?
    More games to get hurt in. Managers misusing players. Let's say the Puerto Rican manager wants to win so bad that he uses Yadi to catch all the games and all 9 innings of each game. In ST he would normally gradually work up to playing a full game. He may not be going full tilt in a ST game whereas if he's playing in the WBC, he may run out a ground ball to 2nd and injure himself.

Not that I'm against players playing in the WBC but a club doesn't have control over how and when its players are used. The players probably won't protest because they are playing for their country and if they did, there would be a media backlash back home.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    More games to get hurt in. Managers misusing players. Let's say the Puerto Rican manager wants to win so bad that he uses Yadi to catch all the games and all 9 innings of each game. In ST he would normally gradually work up to playing a full game. He may not be going full tilt in a ST game whereas if he's playing in the WBC, he may run out a ground ball to 2nd and injure himself.

Not that I'm against players playing in the WBC but a club doesn't have control over how and when its players are used. The players probably won't protest because they are playing for their country and if they did, there would be a media backlash back home.
    mehh... not too worried about it.

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtHezDaSE7Q
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 12-06-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Turn Off Ads?