Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacoby Ellsbury?

Re: Jacoby Ellsbury?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I don't think anyone expects the Reds to try and extend him. As another poster said, I think Matt, he is simply a 1-year bridge to Billy Hamilton, which makes sense.

Giving up Corcino and Stubbs for a 1-year rental that will be in a chase for a new contract, is not a bad thing.
    Don't forget the draft picks we'd pickup after he turns down the Reds qualifying offer- that alone should be able to replace Corcino.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Don't forget the draft picks we'd pickup after he turns down the Reds qualifying offer- that alone should be able to replace Corcino.
    There's a silver lining. Very true.

I don't think anyone expects the Reds to try and extend him. As another poster said, I think Matt, he is simply a 1-year bridge to Billy Hamilton, which makes sense.

Giving up Corcino and Stubbs for a 1-year rental that will be in a chase for a new contract, is not a bad thing.
    I wouldn't just assume that. If it works out, Jocketty has a history of extending these types of guys.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    I wouldn't just assume that. If it works out, Jocketty has a history of extending these types of guys.
    It's a win-win in a way. If Ellsbury has a great season in his march for a big contract, and the rest of the Reds players put up similar numbers to 2012 or possibly better, this team will be a favorite. The pitching staff intact and, on paper, and improved offense? Wow.

And if Hamilton gets a full season in triple A, and performs well........you probably see him in September.

Plus we retain Cingrani.

And as Beni pointed out, Walt offers a contract to Ellsbury and Reds get draft picks.

Twitterers mentioning Tracy Jones has mentioned this as well... Any updates local guys?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Twitterers mentioning Tracy Jones has mentioned this as well... Any updates local guys?
    Jones was saying this during the afternoon show before 3:30. Tracy has a terrible record with trade rumors. Most of the time it is all noise, no substance.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I've got nothing so far. Scouring the web ATM.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Tracy said he had sources in Nashville telling him that the Reds were going after Ellsbury during his show today. When I heard it, he didn't mention any names as far as trade....he may have later in the show. I don't exactly take what Tracy says too seriously....

Then Wildman posted something similar on facebook....I don't necessarily take what he says too seriously either....

But that's two people, who work for different companies (Wildman is no longer with Clear Channel)....

Maybe there's something to it....I'd say it's worth keeping an eye on.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 12-05-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Someone explain Jacoby Ellsbury's career to me. Assuming he's healthy, is he a solid leadoff hitter or Mike Trout? His '11 season seems so out of place.

Baseball reference has Ellsbury's 6th most similar hitter to be Roberto Kelly. Well there we go.

I certainly like the rumored price more than the Fowler rumored price.

If he he stays healthy and has a year like 2011, tender him a one-year qualifying offer. With Boras, the chances are very slim he would accept and even if he did, his 2011 numbers would be worth another year for around $13M.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Someone explain Jacoby Ellsbury's career to me. Assuming he's healthy, is he a solid leadoff hitter or Mike Trout? His '11 season seems so out of place.
    Outside of 2011, when he's healthy Ellsbury is pretty much cut from the same cloth as Angel Pagan.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I think we have to assume Ellsbury is going to test FA. Otherwise, wouldn't the Red Sox extend him? Instead, it appears they quickly signed Victorino and Gomes to fill up their outfield (and if this rumor is correct, Stubbs for CF).

This reeks of a move of a rebuilding team that feels it has no chance to extend the player. Maybe Ellsbury wants out of Boston and would be more willing to extend with the team that traded for him, but it seems to me that it's 95% likely this would be a one year rental.

If Ellsbury passes a physical, etc then I would really like the rumored trade.

Maybe this rumor is plausible.. We heard rumors of Walt going after Ellsbury last summer.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Outside of 2011, when he's healthy Ellsbury is pretty much cut from the same cloth as Angel Pagan.
    But 2011 happened, and can't be discounted. Talent and skill wise, that's probably closer to where he is than when he was first coming up.

He's a much better hitter than Pegan. He has a genuine hit tool. Hits for a higher average, and with much more power.

His big issue is health. If healthy, he's an All-Star. But who really knows about that. A good move, but a big risk as well.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

It's not the worst trade rumor I've ever heard from the Reds' perspective. It's certainly aiming at the right kind of target -- leadoff-hitting center fielder that won't block Billy Hamilton if BH is ready for 2014. Assuming they believe Ellsbury will have a more career-average year instead of flailing around the .310s again in OBP, he would be a big help. Stubbs is certainly no real loss if Ellsbury is here and Hamilton is on the way. I think I'm okay with parting with Corcino, although I do like the kid.

So it basically comes down to whether the Reds can and will write Ellsbury's paychecks. He's going to arbitration again, right? So we don't know exactly how much he'll cost? If a chip like Corcino is going the other way, I hope that means the Red Sox would be kicking in some money.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?