Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Revere to the Phillies

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    282

    Revere to the Phillies

    For Vance Worley.

    Worley is pretty comparable to Leake. I don't think I would have given up Leake for Revere. His walk rate is pretty bad, and he has zero power. He is under team control for a while and can steal bases, but I don't think he would have been the answer to the lead off spot. It's still a notable acquisition from the Reds' perspective though because it's one more name off the board.

    UPDATE: Pitching prospect Trevor May is also heading to Minnesota. I'm not familiar with the Phillies' system, but he doesn't look like much to me. He's young but has struggled mightily with control.
    Last edited by Alpha Zero; 12-06-2012 at 12:31 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    510

    Re: Revere to the Phillies

    This is the guy Walt and the Reds should've went all out on. Young, great D, good lead off man, under team control til 2017 I believe. But no ole uncle sits on his hands and dies nothing as usual at these meetings.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    309
    That leaves Michael Bourn with the Mariners who need a CF? Sounds like a chance to get him cheap especially with Hamilton still on the board.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    53

    Re: Revere to the Phillies

    I like Revere, but this is an offer Walt should not have topped and I'm glad he didn't. Both teams got what they needed here, even though I believe the Twins come out ahead. Minnesota is doing this rebuild right it seems. Trevor May has good stuff and they desperately need some immediate pitching on that staff which Worley will provide. But they have a nice nucleus beginning to form in the minors

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    31

    Re: Revere to the Phillies

    Quote Originally Posted by americanoutlaw1 View Post
    I like Revere, but this is an offer Walt should not have topped and I'm glad he didn't. Both teams got what they needed here, even though I believe the Twins come out ahead. Minnesota is doing this rebuild right it seems. Trevor May has good stuff and they desperately need some immediate pitching on that staff which Worley will provide. But they have a nice nucleus beginning to form in the minors
    I agree. I think the Phils got fleeced; this is the equivalent of Leake and Corcino from the Reds (May was the #69 prospect pre-2012), which is a steep price to pay. With the contract that Michael Bourn is going to demand, though, it does save them a lot of payroll.

    As a Twins fan, I'm hoping that they trade Josh Willingham after already dismantling 2/3 of their starting outfield from 2012. He'd be a good fallback option if the Reds are unable to re-sign Ludwick, but who knows what the cost might be. Would anyone do Corcino straight up for 2 years of Willingham at $14 million?

  7. #6
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,805

    Re: Revere to the Phillies

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
    I agree. I think the Phils got fleeced; this is the equivalent of Leake and Corcino from the Reds (May was the #69 prospect pre-2012), which is a steep price to pay. With the contract that Michael Bourn is going to demand, though, it does save them a lot of payroll.

    As a Twins fan, I'm hoping that they trade Josh Willingham after already dismantling 2/3 of their starting outfield from 2012. He'd be a good fallback option if the Reds are unable to re-sign Ludwick, but who knows what the cost might be. Would anyone do Corcino straight up for 2 years of Willingham at $14 million?
    I like the Twins approach of grabbing pitching and more pitching. How are they looking as far as minor league talent in the outfield?
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    182

    Re: Revere to the Phillies

    I've been saying on here for weeks that the Twins were willing to trade both Span and Revere. They're also willing to trade Willingham (and pretty much anybody else on the MLB roster). I don't know what it would have taken to get both Revere and Willingham from the Twins (although I suspect Homer Bailey and Stubbs; Cozart and Cingrani; or Leake and Didi would have probably gotten it done), but they sure had the pieces the Reds needed. Oh well!

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    53

    Re: Revere to the Phillies

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I like the Twins approach of grabbing pitching and more pitching. How are they looking as far as minor league talent in the outfield?
    Good cf prospect named Aaron Hicks should be ready by mid year and a corner outfielder named Oswaldo Arcia who also may be ready this year. I would say they both project as above average regulars, with the potential for more- especially Arcia... Also Byron Buxton just went to them number 2 overall in the draft. May be 3 or 4 years but a very high ceiling... Miguel Sano is probably the best 3rd base prospect in the minors as well. I've heard comparisons to Miguel Cabrera

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    53

    Re: Revere to the Phillies

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
    I agree. I think the Phils got fleeced; this is the equivalent of Leake and Corcino from the Reds (May was the #69 prospect pre-2012), which is a steep price to pay. With the contract that Michael Bourn is going to demand, though, it does save them a lot of payroll.

    As a Twins fan, I'm hoping that they trade Josh Willingham after already dismantling 2/3 of their starting outfield from 2012. He'd be a good fallback option if the Reds are unable to re-sign Ludwick, but who knows what the cost might be. Would anyone do Corcino straight up for 2 years of Willingham at $14 million?
    It would be close. I wouldn't want to have to make the decision

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    97

    Re: Revere to the Phillies

    Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    This is the guy Walt and the Reds should've went all out on. Young, great D, good lead off man, under team control til 2017 I believe. But no ole uncle sits on his hands and dies nothing as usual at these meetings.
    This. Totally Agree. And I think he is from Lexington correct?

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    31

    Re: Revere to the Phillies

    Quote Originally Posted by sammonator View Post
    This. Totally Agree. And I think he is from Lexington correct?
    Yup, he was drafted out of a high school in Lexington.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    53

    Re: Revere to the Phillies

    I got to see Revere play about 10-12 times this year and while thats obviously not a huge sample, I always came away impressed. Revere is a good/great defender with good contact ability. But he has no power. At all. Which is fine, but after this year we cant afford to have two outfied postions that project to hit 2-3 homers combined. By the way- after looking into his numbers i saw some caution flags I did not notice throughout the season. He was absoultely horrible the last 2 months of the year. Maybe the league got a better read on him, maybe he wore down, or maybe it was just some random flux in his numbers. But for a guy that relies so heavily on contact he doesn't have a particularly high line drive percentage- 18%- and doesn't walk much. Combine that with 0 power and I have more questions about how he will produce going forward than I originally thought. He is not a guy we should have flipped Leake and Corcino for- which is essentially what he netted.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: Revere to the Phillies

    Quote Originally Posted by sammonator View Post
    This. Totally Agree. And I think he is from Lexington correct?
    Lexington Catholic
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  15. #14
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,157

    Re: Revere to the Phillies

    I'd give them 2 Leakes for Revere.

    People were saying the same thing about Bourne before he went to ATL.

    For the love of God, get a leadoff guy in here. Bip Roberts is the Mercury Morris of Reds leadoff hitters.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  16. #15
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,805

    Re: Revere to the Phillies

    Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    I'd give them 2 Leakes for Revere.

    People were saying the same thing about Bourne before he went to ATL.

    For the love of God, get a leadoff guy in here. Bip Roberts is the Mercury Morris of Reds leadoff hitters.

    You would clone Mike Leake just to make a trade? <---Mike 1 and Mike 2
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25