Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear Channel made cuts today.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Clear Channel made cuts today.

I interned with Jay Gilbert when I was 15, and he helped me get my first job...

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/2012/...-from-webn-fm/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Jay was an EBN deejay when I was in HS in the 70s

FYI clear channel is the devil

Retired

Re: Clear Channel made cuts today.

When is Clear Channel not firing people? At this point I am surprised they can even get people to work for them at all.

I have a friend who works for Clear Channel. She lives in constant fear of losing her job (a job she hates with the fire of a thousand suns).

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    FYI clear channel is the devil
    I agree with this statement about as much as I've agreed with anything ever.

Gah! They have something to do with LiveNation too?

The FCC needs to turn the airwaves back over to the amateurs, or sell off the frequency range and use it for something else. Anything else.

Clear Channel.... how are they even still in business? What is their model? Pick a genre, make it bland and crappy. Throw in 10 minutes of commercials every 30 minutes, rinse repeat.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I think Clear Channel is run by Gordon Gecko.

WEBN was the hippest station back in the day. Sad to see the last vestige go. But its spirit left a long time ago. It's just another frequency on the FM dial any more. I don't even have it on my car pre-programmed buttons.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

"You suck Jay Gilbert"

That used to be one of my favorite clips on the radio.

I'm not sure if Matt can answer this or not, but I've seen it mentioned in several places how little a DJ or talk host sometimes makes. In both cases it was well down in the single digit $/hour. I think the sports talk show host up in Dayton was making something like $5 an hour for a 3 hour show. he had all kind of problems, was living out of his car, etc...

I know they stand to make significantly more when they make a live appearance, though I'm not sure how much.

So my question...how much does a DJ make? talk show host? The 2 figures I heard for 2 different people made me questioned why anyone would bother.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Clear Channel has absolutely ruined radio for the most part.

Well, I think over the air radio has declined drastically across the board, even the stations not owned by Clear Channel. Years ago I used to do some volunteer work with WAKW, a Christian station in College Hill. Back then they had a mix of music and syndicated talk programs. One of the times I was in there one of the DJs showed me their music library and it was quite impressive. He was also picking out whatever he wanted to play, just putting CDs in there and picking whatever songs he wanted to play.

Now they've even gone to the point of the commercial stations. They're part of some larger group and they play the music they're told to play, basically the songs that are released for radio, and all the talk and teaching programs are gone. It's really gone downhill in my book. I pretty much just listen to XM or whatever I have on my iPod.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I'm not sure if Matt can answer this or not, but I've seen it mentioned in several places how little a DJ or talk host sometimes makes. In both cases it was well down in the single digit $/hour. I think the sports talk show host up in Dayton was making something like $5 an hour for a 3 hour show. he had all kind of problems, was living out of his car, etc...

I know they stand to make significantly more when they make a live appearance, though I'm not sure how much.

So my question...how much does a DJ make? talk show host? The 2 figures I heard for 2 different people made me questioned why anyone would bother.
    When I was in the biz, all the money went to the morning show. Your overnight guy made less than 20 grand a year , but there were some decent paying shifts doing middays or afternoon drive. Probably different now....

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Clear Channel has done a lot of damage, but radio was largely done on a shoestring long before the consolidations started. It's the main reason I decided not to go into radio even after majoring in broadcasting. (That, and a lack of observable talent.) If you don't get big ratings (and sometimes even if you do), you work for peanuts and bounce from job to job. There's always another guy waiting to take your spot. That's show business.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I remember when WEBN was in its ascendency in the 70s. If you were cool, you had the frog sticker on your van. Jay Gilbert was one of the few who were at the core of the station's hipness and it's sad to see that the station crumbled around him under Clear Channel.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I remember when WEBN was in its ascendency in the 70s. If you were cool, you had the frog sticker on your van. Jay Gilbert was one of the few who were at the core of the station's hipness and it's sad to see that the station crumbled around him under Clear Channel.
    Word

Turn Off Ads?