Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wednesday, July 8th, 2015:Minor-League Updates.

Wednesday, July 8th, 2015:Minor-League Updates.

Johnny Beisbol Commemoration Edition or 7/8 never play it straight:

Louisville (42-44) - 7:05PM EDT - The Bats keep wallowing around that break-even mark. They currently sit at 2 under. Robert 'I need a nickname badly' Stephenson (3.60) goes for the 'Ville tonight. If you live in the Louisville area, get on out to see him in person, he likely won't be there for long. Stephenson allowed only two runs in five innings in his AAA debut. Louisville is suffering from the 8th-innings blues in 2015. They have been outscored 50-18 in that frame. They are also losing the sixth-inning battle as well, 64-32. The team has been outscored 192-128 from the sixth inning on. Despite those numbers, Louisville is 34-5 when leading after 7 innings of play. Layne Somsen, currently out with a broken 5th toe on one of his two feet, went to South Dakota State. Surprisingly, there are two JackRabbit alumni currently pitching in the majors - Caleb Thielbar of the Twins and Blake Treinen with the Nationals. Somsen was born in Yankton, SD, a tiny town of 14,000. Despite its small size, a number of famous folks hail from the Yankton area. Numbered among these are Lawrence Welk, Tom Brokaw, Adam Vinatieri, Lyle Alzado and Chief Pa-le-ne-a-pa-pe.

Pensacola (30-50) - 8:05PM EDT - Timothy Adleman (2.05) will go for the Wahoos tonight, and that is a good thing. Adleman has been charged with just one earned in his last two starts, covering 14 innings. He has been rock solid all season. As Bill Doran noted, his velocity has increased signifcantly since he was originally drafted, increasing from the 87-90 range to the 93-95 range. The results speak for themselves. With little fanfare, catcher Kyle Skipworth is having a nice year with the bat for the Blue Fish. His numbers look like this: .267/.347/.477/.824. He has shown some pop with 11 extra-base hits in 86 at-bats. This article is a little off the beaten path. It is all about Pensacola groundskeeper Ray Sayre - two-time groundskeeper of the year. Turns out that Ray grew up a Reds' fan. http://pensacolatoday.com/2015/04/wa...lds-of-dreams/ Remember Kyle Lotzkar? He is pitching in the Texas League (AA) for the Texas Rangers. Injuries derailed his career to a huge extent, but he keeps plugging away.

Daytona (43-39) - The game is already underway and they are about halfway through. Amir Garrett keeps on impressing. He is a little on the wild side this afternoon (4 BB), but has limited the damage to one run in four innings. Junior Arias has homered (7) for the Turtles. It is 1-1 after four. And just like that, Dunedin score three in the top of the fifth. With two outs and nobody on base they get a walk, a single, a double, an error and another single. Ugh. 4-1 Daytona trails.

Dayton (44-39) - 7:00PM EDT - The Dragons are hoping to snap out of their hitting funk today. Junior Morillo (5.57) will be the beneficiary if they do so. The Dragons have put 19 runs on the scoreboard in 7 games so far here in July, a miserly 2.7 per contest. I feel a breakout coming on. Parade recently named their five favorite ballparks, both minors and majors included. Dayton's 5th/3rd made the list. Congrats! I would say by the 1,000 plus consecutive sellouts that fans agree. And if the game is a snoozefest tonight, there is always Bucket Ruckus. They will be entertaining the crowd, probably non-stop. http://www.theskillvillegroup.com/bucket_ruckus.html

Billings (8-10) - 9:15PM EDT - Billings topped the division-leading Orem Owlz last night by a 5-4 margin. Tanner Rainey (4.15) will try to push that streak to two games with a big effort tonight. Rainey pitched 4.1 innings of scoreless ball last time out. Mustangs' pitchers are leading the league in team ERA at 4.10. Big Ty Boyles leads the way with a sparkling 2.57 mark. Billings is dead last however in runs scored with 94. Reydel Medina is doing his part - 6th in OPS at 1.086, 4th in SLG at .695 and tied for 3rd in homers with 5. Billings has seven regulars hittng .294 or higher: Kevin Garcia (.357), Funky Cold (.339), Brantley Bell (.327), Jonathan Martijn (.305), Tyler Stephenson (.302), Ed Charlton (.295) and Blake Trahan (.294).

AZL Reds - (7-7) - 10:00PM EDT - The A-Reds fell back to .500 with a 4-2 loss last night. Alberti Chavez is leading the early-season charge offensively. Always known as an excellent glove man, Chavez is OPSing 1.063. Fun while it lasts. Satchel McElroy came advertised as a speedster, and leads the team with 4 stolen bases. On a down note, he has been caught stealing 4 times. Learning his craft. Jose Siri is still looking for his first walk of the season. Patience, Grasshopper. Carlos Machorro has a 9/1 K/BB, a 0.60 WHIP and a 1.08 ERA. He has two saves as he settles into the closer's role. The 18-year-old righthander from south of the border is in his first season with the Reds' organization.

DSL Reds (19-14) - 10:30AM EDT - Los Reds have dropped two in succession. They are holding on to a tie for first place. Hernando Guzman has been a vulture out of the pen. He has appeared in 12 games and snagged 5 wins. He has struck out 26 batters in 28.2 innings on the mound. Tomas de los Santos is a man in a hurry. He has raced for six triples so far.

DSL Rojos (11-22) - 10:30AM EDT - Los Rojos are now tied for 8th in their 10-team division. After an ugly 3-11 start, they are 8-11 in their last 19 games. Baby steps. Their big bat in the middle of the lineup, Pabel Manzanero (.950-OPS), has been out since the 26th of June. They have a strong 1-2 starting punch in Jose Veras (1.04) and Wennigton Romero (2.04). The two have combined to punch out 69 batters, while waking just 15.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-08-2015 at 02:56 PM.

2. Likes:

76Rabbit (07-10-2015),RED VAN HOT (07-08-2015),SirFelixCat (07-08-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wednesday, July 8th, 2015:Minor-League Updates.

Dave, where did you find the splits for inning-by-inning scoring and the like? I've been wanting to check the numbers on how many games Pensacola has lost in the late innings.

Daytona lollygags their way to a 6-1 loss.

Amir Garrett was on his game for 4.2 innings and then hit a serious three-run lull.
    Scott Brattvet, Nolan Becker and Nick Howard each hurled a scoreless frame.

The second batter of the game, Junior Arias, went deep and then the offense shut things down. Five singles off the bats of five different 'Tugas the rest of the way. Jeff Gelalich, the only Daytona hitter to reach base twice, was five for his last 11 with three walks; and they pinch hit for him. I am confused. (Some say easily.) =P

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Nick Howard each hurled a scoreless frame.
    Three straight scoreless appearances now. Maybe he will return to the rotation if he keeps it up.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

7. Likes:

SirFelixCat (07-08-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Dave, where did you find the splits for inning-by-inning scoring and the like? I've been wanting to check the numbers on how many games Pensacola has lost in the late innings.
    Let me look around. Louisville has great game notes. I am not certain if Pensacola has them as well.

For Louisville you go to the team website on milb.com, then you click on stats and scores, then along the right side you will see game notes. If you click on that, this is what comes up. http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp...416&vkey=stats <--- you click on this and a pdf report comes up with all types of stats. Dayton has something that is similar. I am not sure if the other teams do as well.

Update: Mace, I could not find anything like that for Pensacola. I just emailed the club's information director and asked if that type of information is available online. I will let you know what the reply is.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-08-2015 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Three straight scoreless appearances now. Maybe he will return to the rotation if he keeps it up.
    That would be nice. I would like this post, but someone stole my like button - again. That seems to happen a lot. Although, I could flag your post, and have you sent down to the seventh layer of hell. LOL.

10. Likes:

Red Raindog (07-08-2015),SirFelixCat (07-08-2015),Tom Servo (07-08-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Let me look around. Louisville has great game notes. I am not certain if Pensacola has them as well.

For Louisville you go to the team website on milb.com, then you click on stats and scores, then along the right side you will see game notes. If you click on that, this is what comes up. http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp...416&vkey=stats <--- you click on this and a pdf report comes up with all types of stats. Dayton has something that is similar. I am not sure if the other teams do as well.

Update: Mace, I could not find anything like that for Pensacola. I just emailed the club's information director and asked if that type of information is available online. I will let you know what the reply is.
    Thanks, td.

Our other mission is to find what's up with Pabel Manzanero.

Is Travieso hurt?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Is Travieso hurt?
    I believe he went down a week or two ago.. If memory serves, he got hit by a comebacker ala Layne Somsen.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Is Travieso hurt?
    Yes he is. As cincyinco said, he was hit by a liner a few weeks ago. Took it on the wrist, it swelled up some. Nothing was broken, but he's going to miss some time. How much, I wasn't able to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes he is. As cincyinco said, he was hit by a liner a few weeks ago. Took it on the wrist, it swelled up some. Nothing was broken, but he's going to miss some time. How much, I wasn't able to find out.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

RobSteve so far: 3 innings, 1 hit (a bunt single), 1 walk, and 2 strikeouts. Thought it was a great sign that he won this lengthy battle against a pretty good prospect

He's thru 5 scoreless now. 3 hits, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; 07-08-2015 at 08:28 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I will chime in on Stephenson from tonight: The numbers look better than he actually looked, sort of.

The breaking ball was nails tonight. Guys couldn't touch it. FB control wasn't good tonight, but when he needed a strike, he was able to find it. Fell behind a lot tonight though. Change up was nice at times, but a few weren't there.

18. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-08-2015)

Let's get caught up on all of the action. Louisville leads 3-2 as they stretch in Derby City.

'Any nickname but RobSteve" Stephenson went six scoreless. Four hits, one walk and 6 Ks.
    Sam LeCure struck out the side in the seventh, around three hits and an error. Two runs (one earned).

Leadoff hitter Irving Falu singled and walked twice.
    Hernan Iribarren singled three times and scored two runs.
    Brennan Boesch (.407) has a perfect night going, two singles and a walk. He drove in a pair, and is aching for another chance up in the Queen City.

They have completed five inning in Mobile, and the Wahoos lead 3-1.

Tim Adleman wonders what he has to do to get a call-up to AAA. Two hits, one walk and 4 down on strikes for Adleman through five.

Kyle Skipworth has the big hit of the night so far for the Blue Fish, a two-run double.
    Superfluous J has singled in the third run.
    Jesse Winker has walked and singled.

Turn Off Ads?