Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mesoraco

Mesoraco

Rays have inquired as part of a 3 team deal.

Rays Still Seek Catcher
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 7 at 2:45pm CST]
    The Rays continue “poking around” for a catcher, Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter). They asked at least one team about the possibility of working on a three-way trade that would send Devin Mesoraco from Cincinnati to Tampa Bay.

Mesoraco, 24, appeared in 54 games with the Reds this past season, posting a .212/.288/.352 batting line in 184 plate appearances. He entered the season as the 16th-best prospect in MLB, according to Baseball America. The Rays currently have Jose Molina, Jose Lobaton, Robinson Chirinos and Chris Gimenez as internal catching options.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#yDvrvMmVfF1uqCmc.99
    Personally, I would not sell low on Mez at this point, as I still think he could be the catcher of the future. However, if the Rays could send someone interesting (like a pitcher) to the Royals and we could net Wil Myers, I'd pack Devin's bags for him.

Not sure there is equal value there, so there would likely have to be other parts involved, but it could be interesting. Maybe something like:

Royals trade: Wil Myers to CIN
    Rays trade: James Shields to KC
    Reds trade: Devin Mesoraco and Tony Cingrani (or Mike Leake) to TB

I'd guess the Reds would likely have to give more than that. Thoughts?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mesoraco

You beat me by 20 seconds! lol

Id be ALL ABOUT that trade you posted up. I doubt it'll happen, but I still would be on board.

-Matt

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Mez still has a ton of trade value.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Mez still has a ton of trade value.
    I agree. In fact, he is one year removed from being the catching equivalent of Wil Myers, which should be considerably more value than the RF equivalent of Wil Myers.

However, I'm not sure the current Mez would be enough to fetch Shields by himself (which is what the Royals would likely want for Myers).

Unless someone like Myers or J.Upton is coming to Cincy, I'd hang onto Mez.
    Go BLUE!!!

If it's a three-way, I'm guessing Tampa is looking to horde prospects and save money. Since KC is also looking to save some cash, I could see the following work out:
    Kansas City deals Alex Gordon to Cincinnati.
    Tampa deals James Shields to Kansas City.
    Cincinnati deals Devin Mesoraco and DiDi Gregorius to Tampa, with the understanding that Ben Zobrist moves back to the OF or 2B.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    If it's a three-way, I'm guessing Tampa is looking to horde prospects and save money. Since KC is also looking to save some cash, I could see the following work out:
    Cincinnati deals Devin Mesoraco and DiDi Gregorius to Tampa, with the understanding that Ben Zobrist moves back to the OF or 2B.
    Agree with the general logic, although why not sub Myers for Gordon (for the Reds sake)? The Royals were said to be considering trading Myers for Shields.

Also, I thought about including DiDi but Tampa has Hak Ju-Lee who is probably 1 year away. So give them an arm like Cingrani or Leake instead to replace Shields and/or Price who may also not be long for Tampa.

It just seems like there are more SS-needy targets out there if the Reds are going to deal DiDi (ahem, Arizona and Justin Upton) then trading him to Tampa.
    Go BLUE!!!

I don't know how I feel about trading Mes, but he should still have a lot of value. Question is would you trade him in a deal with Colorado being the 3rd team and Fowler coming to the Reds?

I'm all for trading anyone as long as the Reds get legit value for him, but I suspect the folks inquiring about Mesoraco are looking to get him at a discount in hopes that his awful 2012 has soured the Reds on him. I doubt they are offering anything like the packages you guys are mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    I don't know how I feel about trading Mes, but he should still have a lot of value. Question is would you trade him in a deal with Colorado being the 3rd team and Fowler coming to the Reds?
    I'd rather trade from our pitching excess for Fowler so long as that doesn't include Bailey.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Huh? Mes AND Didi for Alex Gordon? No thanks.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

With Ludwick signing I guess we can rule out a Myers, Upton or Choo acquisition.

IMO, that means we should rule out trading Mesoraco.

I hope Walt can trade for Ellsbury or Fowler. I also wouldn't be sad to sign Bourn to a 1 year deal.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Rays have inquired as part of a 3 team deal.

Personally, I would not sell low on Mez at this point, as I still think he could be the catcher of the future. However, if the Rays could send someone interesting (like a pitcher) to the Royals and we could net Wil Myers, I'd pack Devin's bags for him.

Not sure there is equal value there, so there would likely have to be other parts involved, but it could be interesting. Maybe something like:

Royals trade: Wil Myers to CIN
    Rays trade: James Shields to KC
    Reds trade: Devin Mesoraco and Tony Cingrani (or Mike Leake) to TB

I'd guess the Reds would likely have to give more than that. Thoughts?
    Mez and Leake/Cingrani for Myers? Catchers who can hit and actually catch are such a rare commodity; I think Mez still has more value than you do -- that Leake and Cingrani do.

I could see Mez and a lesser prospect, like Lotzkar.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

If we trade Mez it would to be an immediate priority for Walt to trade for our cacther of the future.

Mez is not some spare change we have.

He is our only viable catcher of the future.

And with any luck, the future starts next year.

Team insider says they aren't trading Mesoraco.

Good.
    Go BLUE!!!

Tampa needs a catcher, Colorado is desperate for pitching and we could use a SS.

Tampa gets Mesaraco, Leake or Corcino and one of Logan Ondrusek, Jose Arredondo or Nick Masset

Colorado gets James Shields, Drew Stubbs and one of Logan Ondrusek, Jose Arredondo or Nick Masset

Cincinnati gets Dexter Fowler, Drew Pomerantz and Chris Nelson or Eric Young
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-07-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Turn Off Ads?