Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mesoraco

FWIW, Mes tends to look a little lost his first time around at every level. Then something clicks and he dominates. No idea whether that will be true in the majors or not, but it seems possible.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mesoraco

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    So we are down on a guy with 237 career plate appearances? That's still a fairly small sample.
    I'm not down on him. I just am not of the "it would be crazy to trade him" opinion. Like I said, I want him playing a lot next season.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'm not down on him. I just am not of the "it would be crazy to trade him" opinion. Like I said, I want him playing a lot next season.
    Agreed, he needs to play a lot next season and my worry is that with Hanigan doing such a good job defensively and handling the pitchers that Mes wont get much of a shot. If pitchers are requesting to pitch to Hanigan is Dusty really going to start Mes instead?

How valuable would Hannigan be as a trading chip? Personally, I wouldn't trade either right now. Just a question.

he needs to play a lot next season and my worry is that with Hanigan doing such a good job defensively and handling the pitchers that Mes wont get much of a shot. If pitchers are requesting to pitch to Hanigan is Dusty really going to start Mes instead?
    Huge question. I think Mesoraco needs regular reps, offensively and defensively, in order to play well. I also think Hanigan is highly valued in the organization, from the front office to the manager to the pitching staff. I think it's going to be tough for the team to put Mesoraco's development ahead of winning in 2013. Will be one of the best storylines of the year, along with the Chapman conversion.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I want nothing to do with trading Mesoraco when his stock is low (or not as high as it should/could be). In addition, I fully believe he's the catcher of the future for the Reds. He'll be a good backup to Hanigan for a couple more years and then will be ready to take over. I see natural leadership qualities in this young man. It might have rubbed some of the older players the wrong way, but I don't think he meant anything by it. I think Mesoraco is used to being "the leader" of every team he's ever been on and he took that same attitude to the Big Leagues with him. Nothing wrong with that. It shows he feels he belongs. I remember Hanigan's brash attitude on the field standing out to me when he first came up too. "This guy sure isn't shy." I want my catchers to be outspoken on the field. Hanigan seems laid-back as heck off the field, but he's a fiery character between the lines.

I like the catching situation moving forward with Hanigan and Mesoraco.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    This is close to where I am on Mez. Although I am a little down on him.

I'd love to know why he was benched late in the season. The rumors I heard is that the pitchers were down on his game-calling, and that he had an attitude problem about it.

Agree, I'd hate to sell low on him.

I'm a huge Hanigan fan, and think he is one of the most underrated catchers in MLB, moreso because of his game-calling and defense, with a good but not great bat. I believe he is only signed through 2013, another dilemma for the Reds.

As I said prior in this thread, I wish Navarro could have been signed as the backup, simply because I see Hanigan getting 120+ games. And if that's the case, Mez would have been better off getting 120 games at Louisville to work on things. And it may have increased his trade stock again, or been more convincing that he is ready to be the next full-time catcher for the Reds.

Organization is way too thin at catcher to trade Mez, especially after such a bad season.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    This is close to where I am on Mez. Although I am a little down on him.

I'd love to know why he was benched late in the season. The rumors I heard is that the pitchers were down on his game-calling, and that he had an attitude problem about it.

Agree, I'd hate to sell low on him.

I'm a huge Hanigan fan, and think he is one of the most underrated catchers in MLB, moreso because of his game-calling and defense, with a good but not great bat. I believe he is only signed through 2013, another dilemma for the Reds.

As I said prior in this thread, I wish Navarro could have been signed as the backup, simply because I see Hanigan getting 120+ games. And if that's the case, Mez would have been better off getting 120 games at Louisville to work on things. And it may have increased his trade stock again, or been more convincing that he is ready to be the next full-time catcher for the Reds.
    I am also a big Hanigan fan, and love seeing him on the team. I think he's a really valuable part of the roster going forward, and wouldn't want to cut bait at all.

The big difference between Hanigan and Mesoraco is that Mesoraco could end up being a middle of the order bat, while Hanigan has no power and, being 32 years old, isn't going to develop power. His eye remains terrific, and having a guy who walks more than he strikes out is very valuable.

But he had 16 extra base hits last year. 12 the year before. Bill James projects him for 11 next year.

Mesoraco had 200 less ABs and had 13 extra base hits. His numbers were crippled by a .234 BABIP and a manager reluctant to play him with any consistency or regularity (I don't consider start-sit-sit-start-sit patterns to be consistent at all).

In the best of all possible worlds, Hanigan is a nice player who fits a nice role on a very good team. But Mesoraco is a middle of the order bat who becomes the RHB that this team has been looking for for quite some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Hanigan is 32 and has old player offensive skills. No interest in purely relying on him going forward.

Yeah, I wouldn't be out actively trying to deal Mesoraco. I think he'll be a good to very good player.

But I'd also listen to offers. They'd have to be slobber-knockers and someone would have to pay a very dear price for. But like the old joke with the punch line "we've already established that madam, we're just haggling over the price", Mesoraco can be bought. But it better be a huge return,
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    The rumors I heard is that the pitchers were down on his game-calling, and that he had an attitude problem about it.
    Not what I was told by several difference sources.

Well? If you're going to post that, give it up.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Well? If you're going to post that, give it up.
    Been down this road before on this topic. It isn't something I am willing to give up. And that is my last post about why I am not giving up what it was.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not what I was told by several difference sources.
    I guess you got bad info then Doug. Just kidding, man.

Look, I get all the love for Mez in terms of hoping he is the future catcher.

But my dilemma is, if Hanigan is a huge upgrade in calling a game. And the pitchers have tons more faith in Hanigan's game-calling, and very little in Mez. Then you may be right. If Mez is the future middle of the order bat with power, THE REDS MAY NEED IT if his game-calling is suspect and the pitching staff gives up a run or two more per game.

Simply, I'm fine sticking Hanigan 8th in the batting order, if his work behind the plate merits 1 or 2 less runs per game and he's throwing out basestealers at a good clip.

I just think some people have penciled Mez in as the future and he's really yet to prove anything. Plenty of #1 picks have put up good minor league numbers and bombed in the majors. I'm not sure what Geovany Soto's minor league career was like or if he was a #1 pick, but he won rookie of the year over Joey Votto, and look at Soto's career now. Look at Stubbs.

I think there is zero certainty about Mez at this point.

Turn Off Ads?