Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: de Aza rumor

de Aza rumor

Didn't see this posted anywhere

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...or-de-aza.html

I guess the Reds are in talks about landing de Aza. I wouldn't mind him at all.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: de Aza rumor

I like de Aza, but I'm not really all that familiar with Chicago. What do they need? What would it take to land him? They almost won that division last season, so I assume they'll want major league talent for him, or guys who are close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    I like de Aza, but I'm not really all that familiar with Chicago. What do they need? What would it take to land him? They almost won that division last season, so I assume they'll want major league talent for him, or guys who are close to it.
    I can't help you too much there, I don't know much about them either. Although, if I'm not mistaken they are known to have one of the worst farm systems in baseball, maybe they just want some depth, or a good prospect or two. Do they still have Alexei Ramirez at short? Wasn't he incredibly bad last year? Maybe they would like DiDi.

If this is indeed true. The Reds Front Office is not smart. They could've landed Span (Who I didn't even want but who'd be a lot better player than de Aza) for probably Corcino... Smh at this rumor.

I don't see too much difference between the two. Span is a bit better, but he isn't "a lot better player". Slightly better defensive metrics, slightly higher OBP. de Aza has a better slugging. De Aza also has a better wRC+ and wOBA over the past two years.

Denard Span is NOT a better player than De Aza. At the bare minimum it is a wash between the two

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    If this is indeed true. The Reds Front Office is not smart. They could've landed Span (Who I didn't even want but who'd be a lot better player than de Aza) for probably Corcino... Smh at this rumor.
    If we could have done that then we would have, but its clear the Twins liked who they were offered by the Nats more than what we could give.

Interesting. Does he hit for power at all?

Quote Originally Posted by americanoutlaw1 View Post
    Denard Span is NOT a better player than De Aza. At the bare minimum it is a wash between the two
    Well, I disagree with both of you... I actually watch the players play and de Aza doesn't come close to covering the ground as Span, and I do not even like Span... Span is more consistent hitter throughout a year, doesn't go up and down and up and down...

But hey, you are entitled to your opinions.

I would rather have Alejandro De Aza than Fowler since ADA can hit on the road. He and Stubbs would make a good platoon in CF.

Career Splits
    .276/.344/.476/.821 vs LHP for Stubbs
    .287/.348/.422/.770 vs RHP for ADA

.283/.324/.464/.788 vs LHP for Stubbs
    .291/.354/.425/.779 vs RHP for ADA

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Well, I disagree with both of you... I actually watch the players play and de Aza doesn't come close to covering the ground as Span, and I do not even like Span... Span is more consistent hitter throughout a year, doesn't go up and down and up and down...

But hey, you are entitled to your opinions.
    Well, I disagree with you. Implying that I don't "actually watch" also? I have seen enough Sox baseball and listened to The Hawk and Steve Stone more than I care to remember (honestly once is enough), so take this elitist "I actually watch, you don't" crap somewhere else cuz it doesn't apply to me. The reason I included the "at the bare minimum it is a wash" part originally was due to the defensive difference, even though I didn't feel necessary to clarify that in my post.

Now, lets address the consistency thing since you threw it out there. Span hit 220 in June and August and over 330 in April and July last year. That is the definition of up and down. Come to think of it, his career has kinda been up and down. He also had an on base percentage lower than 302 for 3 months of the year last year and over 355 in the other 3 months. I mean he squeezed a 411 obp in July between marks of 302 and 270 in June and August, and then followed it up with a nice 300 mark in September to wind up the season. That is very up and down. De Aza had an obp for 1 month under 300 last year and the other 5 months were significantly higher than 300. So while he may be no Joey Votto, De Aza wasn't "up and down up and down" nearly as much as Span was. And another thing- at any level De Aza had gotten 150 at bats since 06 he has never had an obp under 346 and has consistenly been well above that. Span has consistently missed that mark since 09.

Anything looks good compared to Drew Mendoza.

what do you guys think it would take to acquire ada

I believe the reason they didn't go after Span is strictly monetary. He will make $4.75M in 2013 and $6.5M in 2014 with a $9M club option. That may not seem like a lot but they didn't want to restrict themselves with Ludwick. De Aza and Fowler are under control for a reasonable prize for numerous years in case it takes Hamilton a little longer to develop or if he doesn't pan out. So I think its a good thing we didn't get Span and am excited about these rumors.

I feel bad that I never heard about him...

But his numbers are REALLY solid.

Career .344 OBP
    Career .280 Batting Avg
    30 Steal potential

like it alot/

Turn Off Ads?