Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buster Olney's comments on 1530 ESPN

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Buster Olney's comments on 1530 ESPN

Olney was on Mo's show this afternoon. Here are some of his comments. Keep in mind, this is from memory, so they won't be exact quotes.

In regard to Choo playing CF:
    Olney said nearly all the experts he spoke with don't see Choo being able to play CF and fully expect the Reds to make a change during Spring Training and move Bruce to CF.

In regard to acquiring Choo to bat leadoff:
    Olney thought it was a great move offensively. Thinks Choo is perfect for many reasons - good OBP, lefty that balances out the lineup, has some pop and base stealing ability, has hit well in GABP for his career.

In regard to Gregorius and what the experts think:
    Olney said the majority of experts see Gregorius as a good glove, no-hit major league shortstop that most likely ends up a utility guy. He also added that most GM's and experts are shaking their heads at the D-Backs acquiring Gregorius.

In regard to Stubbs:
    Olney said the Indians are excited about Stubbs and think he will improve offensively. To which Olney said the rest of the league's GM's and experts are shaking their heads wondering what the Indians are thinking???

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Buster Olney's comments on 1530 ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Olney was on Mo's show this afternoon. Here are some of his comments. Keep in mind, this is from memory, so they won't be exact quotes.

In regard to Choo playing CF:
    Olney said nearly all the experts he spoke with don't see Choo being able to play CF and fully expect the Reds to make a change during Spring Training and move Bruce to CF.

In regard to acquiring Choo to bat leadoff:
    Olney thought it was a great move offensively. Thinks Choo is perfect for many reasons - good OBP, lefty that balances out the lineup, has some pop and base stealing ability, has hit well in GABP for his career.

In regard to Gregorius and what the experts think:
    Olney said the majority of experts see Gregorius as a good glove, no-hit major league shortstop that most likely ends up a utility guy. He also added that most GM's and experts are shaking their heads at the D-Backs acquiring Gregorius.

In regard to Stubbs:
    Olney said the Indians are excited about Stubbs and think he will improve offensively. To which Olney said the rest of the league's GM's and experts are shaking their heads wondering what the Indians are thinking???
    I'm certainly no expert, and don't pretend to be, but Buster and I agree. DiDi is going to be a no hit, great glove shortstop. Drew is going to be a +/- .240 player with speed and little OBP, and Choo is a real MLB player. If its only for one year, so be it. Next year should be a blast. I've learned after 50 years of fandom that there is only this year because next year may never come. We gave up potential for performance. I like that.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I'll give DiDi a chance before just saying he's a no hit SS, Stubbs I am one of his biggest supporters on this board. My take is his problems are all mental and if the Indians can get through that hard head of his and get him to attempt 20-30 bunts next season he can show enough progress next year to begin to turn his career around, the kid needs to try to bunt at least once or twice a week, thats it. Can the Indians fine him for not attempting to bunt the ball?
    Last edited by icehole3; 12-13-2012 at 04:11 AM.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I'll give DiDi a chance before just saying he's a no hit SS, Stubbs I am one of his biggest supporters on this board. My take is his problems are all mental and if the Indians can get through that hard head of his and get him to attempt 20-30 bunts next season he can show enough progress next year to begin to turn his career around, the kid needs to try to bunt at least once or twice a week, thats it. Can the Indians fine him for not attempting to bunt the ball?
    Bunts never were and never will be even remotely close to what Drew Stubbs' problem is.

Francona may get Stubbs on track who knows but they've went through at least 3 hitting coaches in the past 2 years so maybe this wont be the right place for him either. I wish him the best. hes probably going to like playing in Cleveland though. They only get like 10K fans in the stadium so the boos shouldnt be as loud as in Cincy.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

if the Indians can get through that hard head of his and get him to attempt 20-30 bunts next season he can show enough progress next year to begin to turn his career around, the kid needs to try to bunt at least once or twice a week, thats it.
    He's a poor bunter -- always has been, and likely always will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Bunts never were and never will be even remotely close to what Drew Stubbs' problem is.
    thats my opinion and it cant be changed, you're right and I'm wrong

How in the world did someone get Buster Olney to talk about something besides the Yankees?
    Where we gonna go?

Does anyone know if the Indians are still following this model:

http://www.cleveland.com/gameplan/

This article first appeared in 2003. My first thought hearing about this trade is how Drew Stubbs fits into this model. But I'm not sure if they still follow this or not.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I keep reading this from various sources and posters, and it makes me feel stupid. If Choo has enough speed to to steal 20+ bases and enough arm to play RF, what is it that would keep him from developing into an adequate CF? I've always heard that it's actually easier in the sense that balls don't slice and hook away from you as much as they do in the corners.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    I keep reading this from various sources and posters, and it makes me feel stupid. If Choo has enough speed to to steal 20+ bases and enough arm to play RF, what is it that would keep him from developing into an adequate CF? I've always heard that it's actually easier in the sense that balls don't slice and hook away from you as much as they do in the corners.
    Hey, they kept running Deon Sanders out to CF and called him adequate, and he didn't have that great of an arm.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

With all this talk since Choo was acquired, I still haven't heard any comments from him or his agent about his feelings towards CF. Does he think he can do it? Is he on board with it? Did the Reds even ask him? I think silence here is not good from the Reds perspective. Why would they make this trade without consulting the player?

If he can't play CF, then is this still a worthy trade? You can make the case that the answer is no; that he and Ludwick were both acquired to play the same position.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Ryan Freel was a good example of why you need more then just good speed to play CF. Choo is not known to take good routes to the ball, same as Freel. Since CF has more ground to cover then the corners, bad routes are a death sentence to a CF defensively. On the flip side, remember Eddie Milner? He didn't have a strong arm, but he was an expert on how to track balls and how to take proper routes.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Stubbs will probably never be a star player, but he's ok as a complimentary player, especially for a team like the Indians who are rebuilding. I can see why they are happy to have him. Nice defensive CF who will give their developing SP a little more margin for error. Stubbs has had flashes of greatness.. there's always the hope that maybe he'll tap into it, and the Indians have time to wait for that. Heck, Stubbs might end up having a better career than Didi, and I like Didi.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I think this was a pretty good trade, but people seem to be hand waiving away the concern about the lack of a true CF in the starting lineup. This could be a huge problem--but I am happy we have Heisey so if things spiral too much out of control he can just start in CF and we can figure out what to do with Ludwick/Choo.

I hope the Reds are also looking for a weak bat/good defense/AAAA-type CF to sign to a minor league deal--if such a player exists.

Turn Off Ads?