Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Jack Hannahan 2yr/$4MM

Reds sign Jack Hannahan 2yr/$4MM

I was going to make a thread this morning about the lack of discussion by Redszone about the Reds interest in Mr. Hannahan, so I suppose it's fitting that I start a thread based on what klw posted in the rumor thread that the Reds are close to landing him.

Darren Wolfson, a Minneapolis reporter who covers the Twins, says on twitter:

#MLB source: #MNTwins are out on free agent 3B Jack Hannahan. Good chance he signs with the #Reds.

I expect him to get a 2-year deal from the Reds. Highly doubt the Twins wanted to go to 2-years with him.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Reds close to signing Jack Hannahan?

Good. Bolster the bench and defense. Guy has a good glove.

He's one those "ballplayers" that Jocketty loves. Fills the Cairo role, but much younger, and much better glove. Tribe fans I know loved his approach to the game.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

How much of a dork am I that I'm excited about this move? Haha. I love it.

These little pieces to the puzzle are important!

He was alright in some spot starts on my AL only fantasy team.....I mean, could be a good bench part.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I like it.

Not bad for bench depth.

Is he sort of the Hanigan equivalent for a 3rd baseman? Decent contact, walks some, little power, best value is glove?
    Last edited by klw; 12-07-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Hannahan was fun when he played for the Mud Hens, because he always used Hulk Hogan's "Real American" as his at bat music. That's all I have for my scouting report.

Although with him and Mike Hessman coming in it does feel like a reunion of those 05-06 Mud Hen title teams. It was funny seeing some of the other names that passed through town those years: Gookie Dawkins, David Espinosa, Dewayne Wise, Ryan Ludwick, Jackson Melian, Dmitri Young, Lance Davis and Hector Mercado.

You know what else this says gents (and ladies)? That Scott Rolen is set to retire. Or at the very least, he won't be playing for the Cincinnati Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Is he sort of the Hanigan equivalent for a 3rd baseman? Decent contact, walks some, little power, best value is glove.
    That's pretty disrespectful of Ryan Hanigan. I know what you're trying to say, but trust me when I say that if Jack Hannahan were the 3B equivalent of Ryan Hanigan, he wouldn't be out looking for work at or near the veteran minimum as a backup. Hanigan is very underrated by some Reds fans and this post proves it (albeit unintentionally I'm sure).

EDIT: Oh, I'm sorry ... didn't notice you merely asked a question. I'm blind. (And illiterate.) I thought you said "he is" the 3B equiv of Hanigan.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 12-07-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    That's pretty disrespectful of Ryan Hanigan. I know what you're trying to say, but trust me when I say that if Jack Hannahan were the 3B equivalent of Ryan Hanigan, he wouldn't be out looking for work at or near the veteran minimum as a backup. Hanigan is very underrated by some Reds fans and this post proves it (albeit unintentionally I'm sure).

EDIT: Oh, I'm sorry ... didn't notice you merely asked a question. I'm blind. (And illiterate.) I thought you said "he is" the 3B equiv of Hanigan.
    I was afraid it would come across that way. Hanigan does have great value to the Reds. I think what I was trying to find out is whether Hannahan is not a power guy but gets on base and is a glove glove. It was not meant to show a lack of respect to Hanigan but rather a lack of knowledge on Hannahan.

I added a second question mark on the post above to further show it an inquiry.

All they need now is Joel Hanrahan to drive Tim McCarver into retirement.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Is he sort of the Hanigan equivalent for a 3rd baseman? Decent contact, walks some, little power, best value is glove?
    Well, I do know that it is quite possible I could say "Hannahan" when I mean to say "Hanigan" -- especially if I'm a few beers into watching a game. So there's that.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

If Reds sign Hannahan and keep XPaul that will be two lefty hitters on the bench.

If they add a LHH centerfielder they will have five lefty hitters, including Votto and Bruce.

That would be a dramatic improvement in overall balance from last season, in which they had only two lefty bats for much of the time.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-08-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Turn Off Ads?