Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Jack Hannahan 2yr/$4MM

Re: Reds close to signing Jack Hannahan?

Fair enough. I didn't realize that his glove is that good.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Fair point, but why not just give H-Rod the opportunity? It's not like he's a huge prospect that we'd be spoiling by not playing everyday, but at the sametime, he is a switch-hitter who would be useful as a pinch-hitter, and 3B is his natural position. Then you save the $2MM to acquire someone if you really need them due to an injury, rather than spending it on someone who can't really fill in fulltime if Frazier or Votto goes down.
    I am not sure H-Rod does any of that. He struggled in 2012 at Louisville, and he didn't do anything in September with the Reds. I think it is smart to put him in Louisville to start the season. If he is successful he can always be called up. I just don't like banking on a suspect prospect to be a backup should someone get hurt. That leads to ugly things like calling up the Joey Gathwrights of the world, if the suspect prospect struggles.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I love guys who can pick it. Hannahan can pick it. Plus plus plus. Great backup to Frazier and will be a real help if they need him to play more. And, they can carry weaker bat there better now if they need to with Choo in the lineup.

Yep, Hannahan is an absolute wiz at third with the glove, and my friends who are Indians fans tell me he has filled in and played pretty well at SS too.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    This is really nit picking as I couldn't be happier with the state of the Reds and Walt Jocketty, but am I missing something here?

$2MM for a (obviously backup) corner infielder who has a .671 career OPS and never hit double digit HR in a season? I'd think they could replicate his production for less with a Henry Rodriguez, Beau Mills or Neftali Soto, let alone bringing Rolen back for one more go-round.
    I think the $2 mill is mostly for his glove. He's way better than H-Rod, Mills and Soto on that side of the ball.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Reds now have Votto, Bruce, Choo, Paul, and Hannahan from the left side. Burriss, a switch hitter, in reserve at AAA.

Righties include Phillips, Ludwick, Frazier, Mes/Hanigan, Cozart, Donald, Heisey.

Much better balance than last two seasons.

Only question I have with the bench is whether Donald or Hannahan are adequate backups at shortstop. Just don't know, but no big deal with Burriss and others at AAA who can fill in if an injury.

Finally, this move likely marks the end of Scott Rolen's tenure as a Red.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-12-2012 at 01:12 PM.

85 OPS+ and a great glove. No problem with him being on the team.

I've heard Hannahan compared to Doug Mientkiewicz but with less contact ability at the plate. For $2MM he doesn't have to do very much to be worth the contract.

He can't hit lefties at all, but he's actually decent against RHP (.270/.331/.381). In addition to being a PH and defensive replacement, I imagine he'll got 20-30 starts against tough RHP to keep Frazier fresh.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    Done

Re: Reds sign Jack Hannahan

Thanks, Boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Finally, this move likely marks the end of Scott Rolen's tenure as a Red.
    I don't think this move has any impact on Rolen's tenure as a Red. You don't turn away a guy like Rolen because you just signed a utility infielder. If Rolen wants to come back, Hannahan can start the year at Louisville and be the first guy called up in the event of injury. His $2MM salary isn't going to make or break the Reds budget.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    He can't hit lefties at all, but he's actually decent against RHP (.270/.331/.381).
    Last year, with a high babip.

Lifetime he's .233/.318/.363 against RHP.

That glove better be fantastic.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I don't think this move has any impact on Rolen's tenure as a Red. You don't turn away a guy like Rolen because you just signed a utility infielder. If Rolen wants to come back, Hannahan can start the year at Louisville and be the first guy called up in the event of injury. His $2MM salary isn't going to make or break the Reds budget.
    Nah, I think he's saying that the Reds would not have signed Hannahan unless Rolen told them he's not coming back ... and I agree. I'm sure the Reds awaited word from Rolen and then when he decided he's not playing, they signed Hannahan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    That glove better be fantastic.
    Arguably, top five in all of MLB. He's pretty excellent.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?