Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Jack Hannahan 2yr/$4MM

Re: Reds sign Jack Hannahan

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    And do it with a LH pinch hitter, which is often far preferable vs late inning relievers.

I like the move a lot. HRod getting a full year in AAA is a good thing.
    I agree on all points. I'm glad the Reds are not in a position where HRod would basically be forced into MLB action next season as a utility player. I expect that being successful as a utility player takes the right mindset, and I doubt that a young player like HRod would be comfortable in that role right now. In fact, if his defense improves enough I think HRod's potential is more than a utility player (particularly if he could ever play at least average defense at 2B) - because the one thing he's always been able to do (post injury 2012 notwithstanding) is hit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hannahan was a good signing. I expect he will get plenty of time vs RH pitchers at 3rd base. I just dont see Frazier playing that well for a full year. Dont get me wrong I love Todd but I see him as a super utility player in the future. I dont know why but thats just what he seems to be for me. I hope Im wrong. Hannahans D is comparable to Rolens and I bet he has a stronger arm. I dont know about him playing SS but I remember last year he filled in nicely at 1st for the Tribe. I think it would be safe to say Jack only gets time at 3rd however because Frazier would play 1st if Votto isnt in the lineup. Our 2 weaknesses going into the Hot Stove season were bench depth and a leadoff guy that can get on base. Walt accomplished both those goals and Im super excited for 2013. Now if we can get a LH loogy for the pen this team is all but set barring injury.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

The new schedule makes it important to invest in the bench. A few more interleague games per year (up from 15 to 20 IIRC) and scattered throughout the year, makes flexibility very important. Moves like this one address that.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

ctrent ‏@ctrent

Jack Hannahan's deal with #Reds is two years with a club option. Should be announced today

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    ctrent ‏@ctrent

Jack Hannahan's deal with #Reds is two years with a club option. Should be announced today
    Anybody still think Hannahan may be going to the minor leagues to accomodate Rolen?

No way.

My guess is Rolen really isn't going to play, but if he does the Reds will have to accomodate him in some other way. Hannahan is here to stay. Walt called him the best utility player available.

I love this signing. The Reds now have five lefty hitters, including Choo who is tremendous against righties. This should provide for a major offensive improvement for this team.

Jocketty fixed the pitching last year and IMO has fixed the offense this year. Wonderful job.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-13-2012 at 09:40 AM.

The 2 year deal with an option can't make Henry Rodriguez very happy. Or David Vidal for that matter (although his ETA wasn't likely before 2015 anyway).
    Go BLUE!!!

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    The 2 year deal with an option can't make Henry Rodriguez very happy. Or David Vidal for that matter (although his ETA wasn't likely before 2015 anyway).
    I would think that HRod and Vidal are likely a little upset, but if they are I do not believe they should be. Both want to be starters on the Major League roster. This signing does very little to prevent that from happening. Both have to show major improvement at third base before they can be considered for that position. I would like to see Vidal get a full season's worth of PAs at 3B in Pensacola in 2013, where hopefully he can show marked improvement. Last year's .227/.291/.394 in 377 AA PAs dropped his stock in my eyes a little. Let's hope he repeats the league in 2013 and shows dramatic improvement.

Same with Henry Rodriguez. He did very little in his 221 AAA PAs (.244/.264/.333). I would much prefer him to get everyday AAA PAs to work on improving his offensive game while also getting the field time to improve his defensive game rather than have him rot on the Major League bench.

Both Vidal and HRod need work. They should not worry about being Frazier's backup. Both should worry about improving their games so if Frazier's 2012 was an abberation, they are ready to step in and take the role.

I also would like to go on to say that if this Hannahan deal is the two year for 2M a year deal with a Reds' club option for a third year we are hearing reported now, I am very happy with this signing. My Indians' fans friends love Hannahan's glove and I like what he can do vs. right-handed pitching. He should be a great start with a ground ball pitcher on the mound for the Reds and a righty starting for the other team. He will also be a solid defensive replacement and could be a decent lefty bat off the bench. Worlds more valuable than Cairo in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Well, if Jocketty's track record is any indication, Rodriguez at least won't be here all that long. He doesn't usually let MLB ready talent linger in AAA if they can be turned in to major leaguers (or younger prospects).
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Well, if Jocketty's track record is any indication, Rodriguez at least won't be here all that long. He doesn't usually let MLB ready talent linger in AAA if they can be turned in to major leaguers (or younger prospects).
    Agree.

At this point in the Reds development most prospects are trade material.

Not all of them, some still break through, Frazier, Hoover, Mes last year, but fewer prospects are becoming Reds, more prospects are being traded.

Reds have traded Alonso, Francisco, Boxberger, Grandal, Gregorius, Sappelt, Torreyes, in the last year from the prospect ranks. Probably more I'm forgetting.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-13-2012 at 10:39 AM.

HRod needs to force either a trade or oromotion by playing well in Louisville. That simply would give Reds ammo for setting up 2014 or good prospects to add to lower levels for future years. Same with Vidal. For a couple years anyway, position prospects let Walt trade to balance the budget and stay on top. Right now at least on paper this team looks as set up for a run as any team in Reds history short of the BRM going into 72. I mean from the big league team to the actual prospects, particularly quality pitchers and a potential game wrecker CFer this whole organization is flush. Only injuries might derail a nice run imo.

https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS
    Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
    hannahan is believed to have gotten about $4M on 2-yr deal with #reds.

Not realizing how bad the combined effort was from the bench, I didn't like this signing that much. Now, I add Cairo, Valdez, Costanzo, and Harris together and wow, this is a mega upgrade!

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Not realizing how bad the combined effort was from the bench, I didn't like this signing that much. Now, I add Cairo, Valdez, Costanzo, and Harris together and wow, this is a mega upgrade!
    Yes, most definitely.. Don't forget about Negron either, as much as you'd like too

I really like this signing. I like getting Donald as well.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Irish names lend themselves to limericks:

Handsome Jack Hannahan
    With the glove he could top any man
    But give him a stick
    And he wasn't too quick
    That's ok, he's our handsome Jack Hannahan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Irish names lend themselves to limericks:

Handsome Jack Hannahan
    With the glove he could top any man
    But give him a stick
    And he wasn't too quick
    That's ok, he's our handsome Jack Hannahan.
    Shin-Soo Choo has long been the most popular subject on the haiku thread of my fantasy baseball message board. Sample:

Shin-Soo Choo, hamstring
    Shin-Soo Choo, hamstring, Shin-Soo
    Hamstring hamstring choo

I wasn't going to bring it up but I mean, if we're doing companion player poetry and all.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?