Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stubbs' Toe

Stubbs' Toe

STUBBS ADJUSTS: Drew Stubbs knows that many of his batting statistics have dropped steadily over the past three years, so the Reds center fielder is making adjustments.Stubbs is experimenting with a shorter stride. Stubbs said he has been working with Reds minor league hitting coordinator Ronnie Ortegon at Stubbs’ offseason home in Texas, where Ortegon also lives.
    “They talked a lot in the postseason about Austin Jackson of the Tigers, going from more of a leg kick to a toe tap,” Stubbs said Friday. “We’ve been tinkering with that a little bit. Obviously the longer your foot’s in the air, the more room for error you have.”
    Nice to see him working on adjustments. Too little, too late if the Reds trade him. Drew also stated that toe tapping does not define him as a player.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stubbs' Toe

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Nice to see him working on adjustments. Too little, too late if the Reds trade him. Drew also stated that toe tapping does not define him as a player.
    I genuinely hope he puts it together. He has to much potential talent not to.

Now he makes adjustments when he knows his starting spot is on the line and possible trade. I said it since Edmonds was here. He only had a short stroke was after Edmonds was here and 10 days before the trade deadline last season. He even admitted he did nothing to change his approach last spring training which really didnt fly with me as a fan. He has the talent, but refuses to get past "I was a #1 pick, why do I need to worry" mentality. I would trade him in a heart beat for Fowler(including Leake)

IMO, the least of his problems with his swing is a leg kick. It's his hands. Before delivering his hands through the zone, he moves his hands straight downward even with the top of his shoulder. This is problematic on anything hard in the upper half of the zone because you are fighting yourself to loop the bathead upward toward the baseball rather than making a straight, level swing from just above the shoulder. Of course, this is the opinion of a guy sitting behind a keyboard. With that all said, I'm glad he's making adjustments.

At least he's trying something. Can't really hurt at this point.

Ain't gonna help, hopefully someone will take him from us.

Is that going to help him hit those sliders 2 feet out of the zone and in the dirt that he loves to swing at, or somehow swing the bat for him when he watches fastballs right down the heart of the plate?

His plate discipline and his batting eye are his biggest problems.
    Last edited by scott91575; 12-10-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    Is that going to help him hit those sliders 2 feet out of the zone and in the dirt that he loves to swing at, or somehow swing the bat for him when he watches fastballs right down the heart of the plate?

His plate discipline and his batting eye are his biggest problems.
    If the leg kick is his problem. In theory it could help with his plate discipline and his batting eye. If he's timing mechanism (leg kick) is taking too long, he is probably guessing on pitches to make up for it. If he can shorten that up, in theory, he would have more time to actually read pitches rather than guess

I'd bet his vision and pitch recognition are towards the bottom of the list.

If this move can get stubbs back to his peak season perfromance I would take it. But still only him as a bench player and starter vs lefties anything other than that he is a detriment to the team.

I think his BA took a major hit last year because striking out was in his head every pitch...As you saw his strikeouts dropped to 160..He just needs to stop thinking so much and be aggressive...His numbers when he swings at the first pitch are completely different than his overall numbers

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    I think his BA took a major hit last year because striking out was in his head every pitch...As you saw his strikeouts dropped to 160..He just needs to stop thinking so much and be aggressive...His numbers when he swings at the first pitch are completely different than his overall numbers
    A lot of it was mental IMO and Duhsty continuing to put him out there despite his poor performance actually made it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    A lot of it was mental IMO and Duhsty continuing to put him out there despite his poor performance actually made it worse.
    Completely agree..and with the fans all but giving up on stubbs, with him knowing that, I think the best opportunity for him would be a fresh start with another club

although i sure wish he could just get it together and show cincinnati what he can do

Re: Stubbs' Toe Tapping

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?