Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Sign Bourn As Rental Player?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, 8 million + buyout for following season makes sense.

30 93.75%
  • No, he isn't much of an upgrade over Drew Stubbs.

2 6.25%

Thread: One Year Rental For Michael Bourn?

One Year Rental For Michael Bourn?

With his suitors dwindling, the article mentions the Reds could sign him to a one year deal like they did with Ryan Madison and let him re-enter free agency the following season. By then, Billy Hamilton should be ready to take over the position.

So would it make sense for the Reds to sign him to similar terms to a contract that they did to Madison?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...the-reds-radar
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    It would make sense, yes. And WJ would once again deserve congratulations for playing the market just right.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Re: One Year Rental For Michael Bourn?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    It would make sense, yes. And WJ would once again deserve congratulations for playing the market just right.

Walt was asked this at Redsfest and said it would take a miracle. Bob took the microphone and said " let me answer this for Walt, no."

He went on to explain how the Madson deal was totally different last year. Who knows for 100% sure though.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

It is impossible to vote "no" based on how the question is posed.

I don't think Bourn would ever sign a one year deal with the Reds. But of course I would do it if I'm Cincinnati. But according to a poster in the Hamilton/Stanton thread, that means I should vote no. I'm so confused.

I think if it got to the point that Bourne was willing to take a one year deal you would see enough other teams jump in that the reds wouldn't have a real chance. Theres enough money flowing in the league this year that other teams would be willing to give Bourne 8M for a year. Would be great for us if it happened but I just dont see there being any chance of it.

-The Insider-

Hell yes I would do this. It would be very reckless not to do it if it came down to it.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    It is impossible to vote "no" based on how the question is posed.
    Exactly. If it is simply is Bourn better than Stubbs, its an easy yes. The question is could the Reds afford it? Would they need to deal off other stuff to fit in this season's budget?

Against RHP, there are a lot of guys better than Stubbs. Even below average guys are better than Stubbs against RHP and platooning Stubbs with one would improve the team overall. The real question is can the Reds acquire somebody without blowing a hole in the team somewhere else and/or would that player be a better option than Heisey.
    Last edited by mth123; 12-09-2012 at 10:09 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I bet it would take at least $10 million for one year, but I'd still do it. No long-term risk. Definitely overpaying, but you're only doing it for one season while your top prospect learns the trade. Also, it would be addressing our No. 1 need by far, that of a leadoff hitter who plays CF.

Do it! (Get to the choppa!)

I voted yes, but I figure with then Reds luck, he'll probably needtommy John surgery in spring training and be out the whole year, if the Reds signed him to a one year deal.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

It sure seems like their attempt to upgrade the most obvious need is falling way short.

If a 1-year deal for $10M or less could be done, they should do it in a heartbeat.

But based on Castellini saying what he said, I don't look for it to happen.

At this point, I think they ship Leake off for their less expensive leadoff answer, if they do anything at all.

This would be an almost ideal circumstance. It's not my money, but short of a Madson situation, it's hard to lose out on a 1-year deal. The guy has been a 4.5+ WAR player four 4 years in a row now.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 12-09-2012 at 11:54 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?