Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: James Shields and Wade Davis traded to Kansas City

James Shields and Wade Davis traded to Kansas City

Marc Topkin
    @TBTimes_Rays
    Hearing #Rays have traded Shields AND Davis to #Royals. Working on confirmation and return

Gotta figure Myers is heading to Tampa.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: James Shields and Wade Davis traded to Kansas City

It looks like it's for Myers & other prospects

Shields, Davis, & a PTBNL for Wil Myers, Jake Odorizzi, Mike Montgomery, & Patrick Leonard

Hate this trade for the Royals. Maybe if they were one pitcher away from being a world series contender and their window was closing this would make sense.

But moving Myers, in addition to multiple interesting pitching prospects for a pitcher I would not characterize as an ace, on a team that had a strong enough farm system to stay the course for another few years I think this could be very costly long term.

Shields, Davis, Santana, Guthrie.... still not that strong of a rotation considering the cash and prospects it was required to shell out. I don't think they were ready for a move like this for another few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tornon View Post
    Shields, Davis, & a PTBNL for Wil Myers, Jake Odorizzi, Mike Montgomery, & Patrick Leonard
    Two above average starter pitchers for the Royals top hitting prospect and top two pitching prospects, plus their #5 draft pick from this year.

I wonder if the Rays are rebuilding, and if Price will be available soon.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Hate this trade for the Royals. Maybe if they were one pitcher away from being a world series contender and their window was closing this would make sense.

But moving Myers, in addition to multiple interesting pitching prospects for a pitcher I would not characterize as an ace, on a team that had a strong enough farm system to stay the course for another few years I think this could be very costly long term.

Shields, Davis, Santana, Guthrie.... still not that strong of a rotation considering the cash and prospects it was required to shell out. I don't think they were ready for a move like this for another few seasons.
    I agree. Not sure if he was available, but for that price, I would have demanded David Price.

I will note that Montgomery had a real bad year last year, but Myers and Odorizzi themselves are worth more than Shields and Davis.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

One of the dumber trades I've seen in awhile.

KC should be modeling their rebuilding after the Reds.

They simply should have brought up their top pitching prospects (if ready) and Wil Myers and let them grow in the majors. Maybe traded away some older parts for lots of prospects. Rebuild the farm system like the Reds have done.

A few good pitchers aren't going to help that team right now.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    So much for the Royals being relevant anytime soon. They probably just set themselves back a couple years, IMO.

Wouldn't mind David Price, who's already been rumored as available. I wouldn't want to pay Hamilton for him though, so no dice I guess.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I feel really bad for Royals fans, and I actually like Shields. Dayton Moore should seriously go before the firing squad for this one.

The usually level-headed Rany Jazayerli, M.D., gives the deal a two-word review:

http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/2012/...lds-trade.html
    Stick to your guns.

The worst part of the deal is that both Shields and Davis have big contracts. For the amount of money the Royals will have to pay them, they could have just signed Lohse or Sanchez and kept their prospects.

Stat geek...and proud
    You know what they say, anytime you can trade your farm to go from bad to mediocre, you gotta do it.

Wait. No one ever says that.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The worst part of the deal is that both Shields and Davis have big contracts. For the amount of money the Royals will have to pay them, they could have just signed Lohse or Sanchez and kept their prospects.
    Unless guys have no interest at all in signing in Kansas City. Which is something that often gets overlooked.

Going from the AL East to the AL Central will likely do good things for Shields and Davis.

Still, I see this as a rather large overpay.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Unless guys have no interest at all in signing in Kansas City. Which is something that often gets overlooked.

Going from the AL East to the AL Central will likely do good things for Shields and Davis.

Still, I see this as a rather large overpay.
    That's a good point. But I still think they could have spent the $30+M better somehow, and not given up prospects.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    That's a good point. But I still think they could have spent the $30+M better somehow, and not given up prospects.
    I agree. There were better ways to spend the money without losing the prospects, but they were able to add some impact talent rather than average talent.

If I were them, I would have stayed the course with the prospects.

Could have done a similar move to what they did with Santana, in getting Haren locked in for a year. He's probably not quite Shields at the moment, but he's pretty close. Shields could just as easily follow Haren's career arch anyways considering how similar pitchers they are.

There were plenty of ways to make improvements to their pitching staff this year considering the money they have been able to take on with Guthrie, Santana, Shields, and Davis. I liked their plan up until tonight where they seemed committed to not locking in dumb contracts. It gave them the opportunity to field a reasonable ballclub and hold onto their prospects. Once the Moustakas/Hosmer/Myers group and young pitching started to successfully transistion to the majors, that's when you maybe thing about making the major splash and move the prospect surplus. The rest of the team just hasn't proven their worth enough to make the fit right now. Completely missed the timing on this.

Turn Off Ads?