Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wil Myers to the Rays

Re: Wil Myers to the Rays

Wade Davis is a potential 4th or 5th starter controlled for the next 5 years well below the going rate for that level of Sp's

This is one of those trades the Royals win in the short term and Rays win in the long term.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    But Myers looks like a legit star. Baseball America minor league player of the year alumni usually become all-star caliber players (Delmon Young notwithstanding).
    They become MLB players but many take all their pre-arbitration years learning the game and don't come consistent until its time to stat paying them. They Royals are a team that's been burned by hype several times and they seen how it took Alex Gordon 4 down years before he broke out, they had to lock him up after just one good season or risk losing him if he had a 2nd good year in time to become a FA. Lucky for them he came back with a 2nd good year and it didn't blow up in their face but they ended up paying him nice money before they got what they expected out of him.

There are the Mike Trouts out that make people want to hold on to every single player but there are 10 times as many Brandon Wood's out there who looked can't miss hitting 43 HR as a SS at 20 who would go on to be 28 next March with a .513 MLB OPS in 700 AB.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    This is a terrible trade for KC. Good Lord
    100% Agree. I Tweeted to the Royals that that was the Worst Trade because they didn't get David Price back for Wil Myers. I also said in the same Tweet that Dayton Moore is the Worst GM in Major League Baseball... I even got all that in under 140 characters!

I wish Walt would trade Mesoraco for Myers.... Awesome Thumper!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Impact arms like Shields are hard to come by, especially ones as durable as his. They control him for 3 more years at a fairly reasonable price. Add to that a guy in Davis who looks like he could become one of the more dominant middle relief guys in the game. It is hard to bring in guys like this via free-agency to a place like KC.

Myers looks like a talented kid, but he's still just a talented kid. I would've kept him, but I could see this deal being a win for KC if Shields anchors the staff and carries them into a WC spot in the next few years.
    Not sure if this makes a difference in your analysis, but the Royals will control Shields for only two years.

They control the team option, another $12MM year, so 3 years, $33MM.

One aspect of the trade I didn't really notice is the contract the Rays had Davis signed to. That could become a real sticking point for this trade. If he flops at his return to a starting role that could become a very bad deal for KC. Basically, they are banking on WD to turn the corner and become a solid 3/4 starter and for Shields to anchor/mentor the staff into legitimacy. It's a huge risk, but one I admire them for making...at the very least, they know what they'll get out of Shields. You can't really say that about any other piece in the deal.

Turn Off Ads?