Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bobby Petrino

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Bobby Petrino

Bobby Petrino will be announced as the head coach at Western Kentucky University, according to multiple sources. I would link it to the Louisville Courier-Journal article, but I am out of free articles this month.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bobby Petrino

I really believe if he had taken the year off, he would have had some real interest next season. Now he will have to win at WKU and hope for offers. Shows what a little dishonesty can do to ruin a man's career.

I'm not sure being head football coach at WKU constitutes a "ruined" career. And you're in Louisville, so you know damn well Petrino's going to win at WKU unless he suffered a brain injury in the motorcycle crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'm not sure being head football coach at WKU constitutes a "ruined" career. And you're in Louisville, so you know damn well Petrino's going to win at WKU unless he suffered a brain injury in the motorcycle crash.
    You're right "ruined" is a bit of overstatement. And he will most likely win and win big at WKU. Although, I am not convinced he was ever in a motorcycle accident. There have been rumors (conspiracy theorists) that he pushed his bike down a hill after having his face beaten in by his mistress' fiance. The reasons to believe this are two-fold: One, Petrino is a liar, and two, everyone saw how badly he was beat up and she had not even a scratch. Two people, one motorcycle and one looked like death and one was completely unharmed. Hmmmm.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

LOL.....yeah "ruined" is kind of harsh. Maybe "disgraced" is more like it. Guys that have been successful always land back on their feet somewhere. Ask Larry Eustachy, Steve Fischer, Rick Neuheisel, etc......

Interesting on the conspiracy theory at Arkansas, I hadn't heard that before, but it is plausible.

Oh yea, here is a brief article from ESPN............

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...rs-source-says

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    LOL.....yeah "ruined" is kind of harsh. Maybe "disgraced" is more like it. Guys that have been successful always land back on their feet somewhere. Ask Larry Eustachy, Steve Fischer, Rick Neuheisel, etc......

Interesting on the conspiracy theory at Arkansas, I hadn't heard that before, but it is plausible.

Oh yea, here is a brief article from ESPN............

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...rs-source-says
    The best comparison I can see for Petrino is Mike Price. Both ran high powered offenses at the top levels of college football; both had downfalls due to sex. Mike Price never made it back to the top of the mountain

A small school with no expectations, not a bad hire on WKY's part, any coach worth anything will leave town anyway, may as well get one with something to prove.

Better hire for them then some bigger schools.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    A small school with no expectations, not a bad hire on WKY's part, any coach worth anything will leave town anyway, may as well get one with something to prove.

Better hire for them then some bigger schools.
    Petrino said he hopes to stay at WKY a long time so I don't expect him to leave a place that he said he and his wife love. If we know anything about Bobby Petrino it is that his word is his bond.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I just saw where his buyout is higher than his anuual salary ($1.2 million vs $850k), so if he leaves after 1 season the school makes money. Brilliant move for WKU.

An interesting article on some coaches who have "fallen from grace."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...565462382.html
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Yep. And after a year or two of image laundering, some big school will hire him and pick up the tab for the buyout without blinking. Win-win.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I heard a tape of Petrino's press conference last night. He didn't sound too excited. I'll be shocked if he's there more than a season or two.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I heard a tape of Petrino's press conference last night. He didn't sound too excited. I'll be shocked if he's there more than a season or two.
    He never sounds excited. He's very monotone and boring with the media.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    An interesting article on some coaches who have "fallen from grace."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...565462382.html
    Interesting read. I would probably say that most coaches that reach the top(Big time job, big time program) never quite get back to that point ever again. However, there is always a school out there that will give them another chance and some have flourished when given that opportunity, it just aint as big of a stage as they once performed on. Eddie Sutton, Bob Knight, and Steve Fisher come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    He never sounds excited. He's very monotone and boring with the media.
    Oh ok, I didn't realize that. He almost sounded depressed.

Turn Off Ads?