Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Los Rojos

Re: Los Rojos

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    I think the jerseys are ugly.

It looks like Walt Disney made the letters/signature for it.
    Or a graphic artist in depression era Cincinnati

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...02#70907090676

2. Turn Off Ads?

The idea is fine but the execution stinks, in my opinion. A couple reasons:

First, as brought up elsewhere, the convention in Latin America is to translate the name of baseball teams excepting those that can't be easily translated into Spanish. Hence, Rojos, Cachorros, Cardenales, Gigantes, Piratas, Cerveceros, etc. vs. Los Dodgers. The "Los" article is used on the Hispanic heritage jerseys in the NBA because the team names aren't usually translated (e.g., los Bulls rather than Toros, los Lakers, el Heat, los Spurs).

Second, the most successful of these jerseys (Gigantes and Cerveceros) work because they are minor changes to the familiar uniform template. They don't look like gimmicks because they resemble the team's typical uniforms with a minor nod to the language being used.

My question is simple -- why not just do a standard home or alternate red top with the C-REDS logo replaced by C-ROJOS? Why do we need a crappy looking softball jersey with silly piping and a design that has no connection to the Reds existing visual identity? (I guess arguably it looks a little like the batting practice jersey.)
    Last edited by dsmith421; 12-11-2012 at 05:08 PM.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    To sell shirts and make easy money.
    This is absolutely the reason, it's not about anything else deeper, more cultural, more sacred, and it's not that hard to understand

If los Rojos can get Shin-Soo Choo this offseason, I'm having a custom made jersey with "Reds" in Korean script.

And if he gets on base 38% of the time, I'd bet I could sell a boatload of them too.
    sorry we're boring

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    How many people on this board are actually from Cincinnati?
    I think it's fair to assume most of us are associated with the city in some regard.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    This is absolutely the reason, it's not about anything else deeper, more cultural, more sacred, and it's not that hard to understand

If los Rojos can get Shin-Soo Choo this offseason, I'm having a custom made jersey with "Reds" in Korean script.

And if he gets on base 38% of the time, I'd bet I could sell a boatload of them too.
    Sounds cool, good luck selling them though if Atlanta fans can't even sell "BARVES" t-shirts.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

So, I'll bite:

Who else wants a LOS ROJOS Shin-Soo Choo jersey besides me?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    So, I'll bite:

Who else wants a LOS ROJOS Shin-Soo Choo jersey besides me?
    Sign me up! Best jersey ever!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Sounds cool, good luck selling them though if Atlanta fans can't even sell "BARVES" t-shirts.
    Babylon tells me it this:

명. 빨강, 빨간색; 빨간 그림 물감이나 안료; 좌파, 급진파, 특히 공산주의자

And that's just for "Reds". I don't think that would fit on the front of a jersey. I also plugged it into Spanish, and it told me Rojos and Comunista, so maybe the Korean is saying some bad stuff about communists?

Which takes us back to REDLEGS!! We've come full circle.
    sorry we're boring

Do we get these complaints when the Reds wear green on St. Patrick's Day? I'd be tempted to buy a "Rojos" jersey if it looked liked the English language one with the wishbone C. Otherwise, this jersey doesn't really look like a Reds jersey.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

If you do get a Los Rojos jersey, I expect to have the option to add unnecessary accent marks or tildes above player names.

Hañigañ

or

Brucé
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If you do get a Los Rojos jersey, I expect to have the option to add unnecessary accent marks or tildes above player names.

Hañigañ
    My, God, that'd be hard to pronounce..
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

While I agree with Randy in not liking the design, I have no problem with a Rojos jersey if properly executed.

Personally, I've always thought the Reds should do something to tie in with Oktoberfest Zinzinnati and celebrate the city's German heritage. "Roten" or "Rotstrümpfe" (Red Stockings/Redlegs) on a classic home white jersey would look good. Add in a hat giveaway, like a German hat with a wishbone C stitched on it would be fun.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    While I agree with Randy in not liking the design, I have no problem with a Rojos jersey if properly executed.

Personally, I've always thought the Reds should do something to tie in with Oktoberfest Zinzinnati and celebrate the city's German heritage. "Roten" or "Rotstrümpfe" (Red Stockings/Redlegs) on a classic home white jersey would look good. Add in a hat giveaway, like a German hat with a wishbone C stitched on it would be fun.
    I like that. Make it so.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I like that. Make it so.
    Made it so (at least with photoshop)! These would be a huge hit at Oktoberfest.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    Made it so (at least with photoshop)! These would be a huge hit at Oktoberfest.
    If you move the wishbone C, people would be all over that. It's only a matter of time before someone's making money off that.

Turn Off Ads?