Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Los Rojos

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Los Rojos

The Reds are unveiling an alternate jersey starting in 2013. The Red jersey will have ‘Los Rojos’ emblazoned on the front, in white scripted letters. Los Rojos is Spanish for “Reds.”
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...jersey-for-13/

Re: Los Rojos

Ughh

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Ughh
    Randy, I'm curious why you consider it an "ugh" move. Clearly uniforms are a marketing tool, IMO, and looking for a wider spectrum of fans to draw in from not just Cincinnati , but the larger region, not to mention throughout the country and beyond. With both Johnny Cueto and Aroldis Chapman as premier pitchers for the club and other Latin players, not to mention a plethora of up and coming prospects from throughout Latin America, I think it makes smart business sense. I say this as an Anglo too. I've loved the Hispanic Heritage day the club has had the last couple of seasons too.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Randy, I'm curious why you consider it an "ugh" move. Clearly uniforms are a marketing tool, IMO, and looking for a wider spectrum of fans to draw in from not just Cincinnati , but the larger region, not to mention throughout the country and beyond. With both Johnny Cueto and Aroldis Chapman as premier pitchers for the club and other Latin players, not to mention a plethora of up and coming prospects from throughout Latin America, I think it makes smart business sense. I say this as an Anglo too. I've loved the Hispanic Heritage day the club has had the last couple of seasons too.
    It's an ugly jersey, just like the BP jersey, and unnecessary in my opinion. I certainly won't be spending my money on one.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    It's an ugly jersey, just like the BP jersey, and unnecessary in my opinion. I certainly won't be spending my money on one.
    It's also not being marketed to you, and likely going to only be used in very rare occurrences. Not like they are lining these bad boys up for the playoffs.

Can't really see how there could be much more pushback on the Reds trying to expand their fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    It's also not being marketed to you, and likely going to only be used in very rare occurrences. Not like they are lining these bad boys up for the playoffs.

Can't really see how there could be much more pushback on the Reds trying to expand their fan base.
    I'm a fan, go to games, and entitled to my opinion. It may not agree with yours or the majority, but I'm entitled to it, nonetheless. .

I don't know Spanish, but would Rojos work?

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I don't know Spanish, but would Rojos work?
    Rojo does mean Red in Spanish.

So yes it does work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Rojo does mean Red in Spanish.

So yes it does work.
    I mean, does the "Los" need to be on there, as I think english jersey's say "Reds" not "The Reds". I was wondering if just "Rojos" would read properly.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I mean, does the "Los" need to be on there, as I think english jersey's say "Reds" not "The Reds". I was wondering if just "Rojos" would read properly.
    "Rojos" reads fine in Spanish. The "Los" is used pretty much as the "The" is in English.

When saying something about the team, you will use "Los", as in "Los Rojos firmaron un contrato con..." (The Reds signed a contract with...). When quoting a score, it will be omitted. "Rojos 12, Cachorros 0".

I like "Rojos" better.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    "Rojos" reads fine in Spanish. The "Los" is used pretty much as the "The" is in English.

When saying something about the team, you will use "Los", as in "Los Rojos firmaron un contrato con..." (The Reds signed a contract with...). When quoting a score, it will be omitted. "Rojos 12, Cachorros 0".

I like "Rojos" better.
    Ahh, see that's a mistake then. I like "Rojos" better too.

1. The Hispanic population in Greater Cincinnati continues to grow at a steady rate.

2. The Reds are marketing to this demographic.

3. I solidly approve this.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    1. The Hispanic population in Greater Cincinnati continues to grow at a steady rate.

Same here. I have absolutely no problem with this. Pretty cool, actually.

-Matt

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati

At the 2010 Census, there were 296,945 people residing in Cincinnati, a decrease of 10.4% since 2000. At the 2010 Census, 48.1% of the population was White, 44.6% African American, 0.2% Native American, 1.80% Asian, 0.01% Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander, 0.2% from some other race, and 2.2% of two or more races. 2.08% of Cincinnati's population was Hispanic and Latino or any race.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    You realize that is just the municipality of Cincinnati, not the Greater Cincinnati area. The municipality probably represents less than 5% of Reds fans. They draw almost exclusively from the suburbs and surrounding areas. I don't know about where you live, but where I live Hispanics account for one hell of a lot more than 2% of the population.

Turn Off Ads?