Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Los Rojos

Re: Los Rojos

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    So are you telling me I have to like the jersey? I didn't like the ugly St. Patricks day uniform and I'm of Irish heritage. I like traditional home whites, road greys. That's all.
    This isn't about you liking the jersey. It's about calling it unnecessary. Those are two different things.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

So are you telling me I have to like the jersey? I didn't like the ugly St. Patricks day uniform and I'm of Irish heritage. I like traditional home whites, road greys. That's all.
    Nobody's saying that. Not even close. Not one person here takes any offense to you not enjoying the style of the jersey or that it doesn't appeal to you.r

It's more that it seems that you can't accept or at the very least acknowledge that there is a place for stuff like this because it appeals to other people. It comes accross as "if Randy doesn't like it shouldn't exist".

Is it that hard to say that you pass on the design and the shirts aren't for you without getting into all this other nonsense about whether the Reds should be able to produce stuff like this to appeal to others?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    This isn't about you liking the jersey. It's about calling it unnecessary. Those are two different things.
    How many times do I have to explain my view, my opinion. I prefer home white traditional Reds uniforms. I prefer road grey traditional Reds uniforms. It is my opinion that any other jersey is unnecessary, outside of a BP jersey to "sweat up" in pre-game workouts. I feel any other "on field" jersey is really unnecessary. It's my opinion. I'm not saying you have to agree with it, but neither do I have to agree with yours.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 12-11-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Nobody's saying that. Not even close. Not one person here takes any offense to you not enjoying the style of the jersey or that it doesn't appeal to you.r

It's more that it seems that you can't accept or at the very least acknowledge that there is a place for stuff like this because it appeals to other people. It comes accross as "if Randy doesn't like it shouldn't exist".

Is it that hard to say that you pass on the design and the shirts aren't for you without getting into all this other nonsense about whether the Reds should be able to produce stuff like this to appeal to others?
    I've never said that they can't produce the jerseys. They can do whatever they want. So can you. So can anyone. I just feel that extra "on-field" jerseys are unnecessary. My opinion.

It doesn't bother me that you or anyone else like the jerseys. Go buy 6 of 'em. Do whatever you like. I still can have my opinion. Why does it bother you so much?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    This is all true. Good points.

You would admit, though, that there are distinctions to be made here as well. Adding a Spanish language shirt to the mix has more potential for far different forms of fandom than the green Irish shirt. To me, the Irish shirt seems more like a pure gimmick (and I'm part Irish) than the Los Rojos, if only because it is in the same language and there is a ton of overlap between the two groups (Anglophone Irish Americans and other Anglophone Americans tend to be pretty closely affiliated with one another, at least over the past few centuries).

The Spanish stuff, though, that's much newer and more dynamic and untested waters. Right?
    I'd say Rojos shirts are a pure gimmick with the opportunity to spawn future gimmicks, even to progress beyond gimmicks. Green shirts and caps are about as far as you can take the Irish thing. Beer cozy is about the only other place to go. Irish cultural traits like extreme distrust of outsiders and repressed sexuality just don't make for great merchandising opportunities.

Like you noted, who knows where the Hispanic thing goes. There's nations full of Spanish speaking people who follow MLB plus a massive Hispanic-American culture. The jersey itself reflects American mashup culture, which is an avenue to reaching younger fans. So it's definitely bigger down the road.

As for today, it's just another product off the huckster mill.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Let me get this straight.

We have four pages dedicated to Randy not liking a jersey and people mad at Randy for not liking the jersey.

So when do pitchers and catchers report?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I've never said that they can't produce the jerseys. They can do whatever they want. So can you. So can anyone. I just feel that extra "on-field" jerseys are unnecessary. My opinion.

It doesn't bother me that you or anyone else like the jerseys. Go buy 6 of 'em. Do whatever you like. I still can have my opinion. Why does it bother you so much?
    I don't even like the jerseys (as I stated).

It only bothered me to the point that your argument at times seemed like it was bordering at times on intolerant (not necessarily bigotry, but intolerant) and stuff like that bothers me.

I stated that I thought you had better intentions than were coming across, and attempted to mediate the discussion a bit and thought a different perspective might lighten your stance a bit and maybe shed some light on maybe why your posts are being interpreted in a negative light.

Anyways... have a good night.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Well, as of today, this is the Cincinnati Reds uniform. One of them.

Since when does baseball have a language? It's a sport. It's played with bodies and skill and athleticism, not words -- that's one of the things that makes it universally appealing. Given that pitchers and catchers are the ones who communicate most intensely on the field, in fact, it's possible that for many MLB teams there's more Spanish spoken on the field than English.

Also, Randy, I realize that part of your above argument is rhetorical, but the reality is that Hispanic/Latino heritage does have a disproportionate amount of influence on the game when compared with almost every other company in the world. What "huge heritage" do other countries have in MLB besides America and Japan? Would you have problems with a French jersey for the Blue Jays given that they play in Canada? And those are countries, not languages; many countries speak Spanish including this one. From a commercial standpoint, yes, it does make far more sense to market to them than to the Dutch-speaking population.
    Ohh, well, I can think of a few pretty good Italian players. And since we are a country of immigrants, I think you would find a lot of different heritage in the makeup of MLB rosters over the years. Should we honor those as well with on field jerseys? And baseball doesn't have a language but the symbols on teams jerseys over the years have represented many different heritages and languages. How can anyone look at the Pirates uniform and not think of Roberto Clemente. The classic interlocking "NY" on the Yankees uniform says Dimaggio, Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Jackson, and Posada just to name a few. The classic old English "D" of the Tigers says Ty Cobb, Hank Greenberg, Al Kaline, and Willie Horton, and the Dodger uniform most certainly says Sandy Koufax and Jackie Robinson. It's an honor to wear a classic Major League uniform. The players are remembered for what they did in those flannels and double knits. There is a bond to those that wear them. As a kid, I would've given anything to have one of those jerseys. I think kids of any heritage would have felt the same way and would have given anything to have one of the classic jerseys that their heroes wore. To be able to wear one of those jerseys was a dream.

Today's MLB can and will market anything it can for the almighty dollar. I just choose to like the classics. You, or anyone else, can like whatever you want. Doesn't bother me in the least, but, my opinion is my own. I won't give that up.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 12-11-2012 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

We have four pages dedicated to Randy not liking a jersey and people mad at Randy for not liking the jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I don't even like the jerseys (as I stated).

It only bothered me to the point that your argument at times seemed like it was bordering at times on intolerant (not necessarily bigotry, but intolerant) and stuff like that bothers me.

I stated that I thought you had better intentions than were coming across, and attempted to mediate the discussion a bit and thought a different perspective might lighten your stance a bit and maybe shed some light on maybe why your posts are being interpreted in a negative light.

Anyways... have a good night.
    Thanks, Patrick.

Whatever you think of the Los Rojos uniforms, they are not even close to the most offensive Reds uniforms ever. The 1993 Good Humor Reds...

Hoping to change my username to 75769024

"We saw the Brewers do this with Los Cervezeros," said Karen Forgus, the Reds' senior vice president of business operations. "There is an appetite for the fans to buy them. They sell well in other markets."
    That explains everything.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    That explains everything.
    Not really... The Brewers don't have "Los" on their uniforms...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

134 posts and counting...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

For a Level Playing Field

Freedom of speech? Not for you, Randy! Unless you speak Spanish or some other non-English language. Funny how that works.

According to the 2000 US Census 7.7 times as many people claim English as their primary language versus Spanish. Spanish is #2 in this great country though. And ahead of English and Spanish is the almighty dollar/peso/euro/etc. Hmmmm.

Sign Language is #15 (more than Japanese). Therefore, I think we may see MLB catering to these 1/2 million people. The sign for "red" is made by making a movement that looks like you are stroking your lips (one time) with the tip of your index finger. I hope to see this on a jersey... with moving finger! If we can use computers to call balls-and-strikes, then this technology has to be there.

Turn Off Ads?