Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds' #1 prospect for 2013?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tucker Barnhart

0 0%
  • Tony Cingrani

0 0%
  • Daniel Corcino

1 1.25%
  • Jeff Gelalich

0 0%
  • Didi Gregorius

0 0%
  • Ismael Guillon

0 0%
  • Billy Hamilton

64 80.00%
  • Dan Langfield

0 0%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

0 0%
  • Tanner Rahier

0 0%
  • Henry Rodriguez

0 0%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

0 0%
  • Steve Rogers

1 1.25%
  • Robert Stevenson

14 17.50%
  • Nick Travieso

0 0%
  • Jesse Winker

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect? 2013

Re: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect? 2013

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    While Hamilton's speed is "better" than Stephenson's velocity, I will take a pitchers velocity as a "carry tool" over a players speed every day of the week and so would every scout in the history of the world.
    I'm not so sure that Branch Rickey would agree with you.

2. Turn Off Ads?

x
    Last edited by texasdave; 12-11-2012 at 03:41 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I'm not so sure that Branch Rickey would agree with you.
    I bet he would. If Billy Hamilton were just an above-average runner, his value would plummet. If Robert Stephenson merely had above-average velocity, he would still have a ton of potential because he would have a plus pitch and two above-average ones. If your carry tool is really the only tool you have, speed is not a good one to bet on.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I bet he would. If Billy Hamilton were just an above-average runner, his value would plummet. If Robert Stephenson merely had above-average velocity, he would still have a ton of potential because he would have a plus pitch and two above-average ones. If your carry tool is really the only tool you have, speed is not a good one to bet on.
    Maybe so. I don't recall reading much of Rickey's philosophy on pitching, other than his development of the "strings" section at Vero Beach, which he devised for pitchers to work on their control. But he positively placed a premium on foot speed, and actively searched it out. The quote, "Speed never goes into a slump," is attributed to the Mahatma.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Maybe so. I don't recall reading much of Rickey's philosophy on pitching, other than his development of the "strings" section at Vero Beach, which he devised for pitchers to work on their control. But he positively placed a premium on foot speed, and actively searched it out. The quote, "Speed never goes into a slump," is attributed to the Mahatma.
    And every time someone says that speed never goes into a slump I laugh. Any leg soreness or injury or tweak and "speed slumps". Speed is a complimentary tool, not a carrying tool. It is like the throwing arm strength of a position player. Yeah, at some point you do need enough of it to work. But it isn't going to make or break you in 99% of the cases. Your inability to hit or field (be it catch or range to the ball will). Speed is the same way. If you can't hit, it doesn't matter how much speed you have. If you can't read the ball off the bat, it doesn't matter how much speed you have. Speed is a compliment tool. It helps you in other areas, but you need other skills to begin to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    x
    I saw your post before you deleted it. Believe me--doing these prospect rankings is a big pain in the behind. Mistakes are inevitable. Hopefully everyone knows it's okay to chip in because it's a lot of work for just one person.

I went Hamilton, as his combination of ceiling, production, position, and excitement are among the highest in the game. He has a chance-- a good chance-- to become one of those rare players you have to see play a game. And this about this-- Hamilton vould very well post a speed-adjusted OPS in the 1.000 range-- for a decade. Which is patently ridiculous. And fun. And unnerving even to professional ballplayers.

He'll never hit all that many home runs (though I think he'll add power as he matures). He'll like never OPS 850 (though his peak years make that an outlier possibility). But he has real MVP capabilities.

And he to Votto, Bruce, Chapman, Cueto, Latos, and perhaps Bailey as Red game-changers. (Hopefully.)

I just felt like I should give some love to someone besides Billy
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Turn Off Ads?