Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds' #2 prospect for 2013?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tucker Barnhart

0 0%
  • Tony Cingrani

7 9.72%
  • Daniel Corcino

6 8.33%
  • Jeff Gelalich

0 0%
  • Ismael Guillon

0 0%
  • Ryan LaMarre

0 0%
  • Dan Langfield

0 0%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

0 0%
  • Donald Lutz

0 0%
  • Seth Mejias-Brean

0 0%
  • Tanner Rahier

0 0%
  • Henry Rodriguez

0 0%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

0 0%
  • Chad Rogers

0 0%
  • Neftali Soto

0 0%
  • Robert Stephenson

58 80.56%
  • Nick Travieso

0 0%
  • David Vidal

0 0%
  • Jesse Winker

1 1.39%
  • Ryan Wright

0 0%
  • Other (Please name)

0 0%

Thread: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect? 2013

Who is Redszone's #2 prospect? 2013

As expected, Billy Hamilton ran away with the top spot.

Prospect #2 should be a little more competitive. Didi Gregorius may well have garnered some votes here but he is out in Arizona now. The list was increased from 16 to 20 and there is a space for other, if anyone is so inclined.

As is customary, if anyone would like a prospect added just mention it in this thread and we will get him up there on the next go-around.
    Last edited by texasdave; 12-13-2012 at 10:23 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect? 2013

Cingrani's performance, Stephenson's upside, or Corcino as the compromise? Still pondering.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Robert Stephenson, without question.

For me, there is a solid gap between the top two guys and the next four guys (then a huge drop off from them). Stephenson is a Top 40 prospect in all of baseball. Cingrani, Corcino, Winker, Travieso.... not so much.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I like Stephenson a lot, but with the Reds making a run for a 2013 WS, I value proximity to the majors more this year than I have in the past. Cingrani is the kind of guy who could make an impact on the 2013 Reds either in the bullpen or as a fill-in in the rotation. His minor league stats are ridiculous and while Stephenson has a Clemens-like ceiling, I will go with Cingrani's stats and proximity to the majors.

Stephenson for the upside, without a doubt. He's the only guy on this list with real ace potential, and from all the reports on his stuff and results in Dayton and Billings, it looks like he's already started to come into his own. I can't see rating a guy with #3 or #4 upside over that, no matter how much of a sure thing Cingrani might be.

Stephenson-- the TOR arm possibilities make him, IMO, the easy choice.

A high 90s fastball and very good (if inconsistent) offspeed stuff puts him above anyone else.

I also agree with doug-- there's a gap after these two, then another gap after those five.

First two were easy, but then I'm a big believer in Stephenson. Now things should get interesting.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

As someone who saw Stephenson pitch this year and some scouts' reaction to his stuff, it's him without a doubt. The kid has a great arm and great potential with his offspeed pitches.
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

I'm a ceiling guy over proximity so I went with Stevenson, but Cingrani will be next for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'm a ceiling guy over proximity so I went with Stevenson, but Cingrani will be next for me.
    Cingrani's lack of secondary pitches drops him quite a bit in my book. I just can't see a guy with average velocity getting by as a starter with nothing but a fastball. Sure, he gets the most out of that fastball by mixing in a ton of deception and movement, but he doesn't have any other pitches to speak of.

I think he's going to be damn solid lefty out of the bullpen for many years to come, but I can't justify ranking a bullpen guy ahead of guys who are potential starters either on the field or on the mound.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 12-15-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Cingrani does have other pitches.

His other pitches are inconsistent. Like every other minor league pitcher.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Cingrani does have other pitches.

His other pitches are inconsistent. Like every other minor league pitcher.
    His change up is pretty consistent actually. His slider sucks. It often just resembles a flat low 80's fastball. Every now and again he can snap off one that may be an average pitch.

But the biggest concern is that he simply has no faith to throw the other pitches. Listen to him talk about his stuff. "I throw the fastball. With the fastball." I like Cingrani, quite a bit and think there is a chance that he actually does do something as a starter. I also think there is a real good chance he is going to go through some big growing pains at some point when he reaches the point where guys can hit his fastball.

Turn Off Ads?