Turn Off Ads?
Page 46 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Re: Shin-soo Choo?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Cozart had over 30 doubles. Decent home run power. Great defense. Maybe he'll never get on base at a great clip, but I would say he's an above average shortstop. May Didi be better than him? It's possible. But is he likely to be so much better that we rue the day we made this trade? I highly doubt that. LOVE this trade so much. I don't even care about the downgrade in center defensively. We see the Cards sacrifice D for offense all the time, and more often than not, it's worked for them.
    Honestly, I agree with Doug that Didi has a great shot at becoming an above average SS. Didi is a legit top 100 prospect.
    But when is Didi going to be an above average prospect? Probably not in 2013 when we need it.
    Cozart is a great solution now. I agree with you, the power makes up for the lack of OBP, especially since he'll be batting #7 or #8 now. I agree Cozart is above average.

I absolutely LOVE this deal. Choo was probably the best possible option to add (for the short term and long term). I'm stunned that it only took Stubbs and Didi to make it happen. I like Didi, but he's a reasonable price to pay.

Man, I'm glad we didn't get Span or Revere now
    If this lineup stays healthy, it's going to terrorize the league next year.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

I like this deal..Love Choo's OBP at leadoof..

Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Absolutely love this trade for the Reds. I've long been a fan of Choo. I liked Stubbs and Didi, but I'm surprised the Reds were able to acquire Choo for those two.

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    Keith Law said that Hamilton was not outstanding in center either. I would hope his glove would become better over time.
    Keith Law is probably still upset because he predicted Hamilton to be a bust.
    I remember his comment when Billy was drafted.. a sarcastic "Well, he's fast.."
    as if the Reds were idiots.

BHam just started playing CF. I'm sure after playing a full season of it in AAA this year, he'll be a lot better.. Not saying you agree with KLaw, just a comment.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    My favorite part about this trade? Not having to listen to people whine about Stubbs' strikeouts.

I didn't even think about that.
    The Brennamens instantly become slightly less annoying.

I do wish Stubbs well.. Incredible athlete, I hope he gets his swing straightened out. Drew, you were frustrating at time, but I always had a soft spot for you.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    This guy thinks CLV wins the trade, Reds and Dbacks not so much.
    http://releasepoints.com/2012/12/12/...ree-team-deal/

This analysis made me lol
    He’s [Stubbs] going to improve in 2013 and should be capable of putting up something north of 2.5 wins above replacement, or about Choo’s production last season.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Absolutely love this trade for the Reds. I've long been a fan of Choo. I liked Stubbs and Didi, but I'm surprised the Reds were able to acquire Choo for those two.
    Where have you been OBM?! I haven't seen you around here in forever it seems like.

"When I saw him, he reminded me of a young Derek Jeter," Towers said. "I was fortunate enough to see Jeter when he was in high school in Michigan. He's got that type of range, he's got speed, more of a line-drive-type hitter, and I think he's got the type of approach at the plate and separation to where I think there's going to be power there as well."

Kevin Towers really likes DiDi. He also said in the interview with MLB.Com that the only way he traded Bauer was for Gregorius. He lastly went on to say he had been talkin to Walt for a while now but they were not a match(what? no Didi for Upton??) I guess Antonetti called Towers on Mon. and said I can get Didi if you can let go of Bauer. Seems like all 3 teams got what they wanted. A win win for every organization.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Me too. Now it's like 1973 all over again.
    1973? Now who can the Reds get to take the Pedro Borbon role of putting a bite on the opposition?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

That was easily the best Reds birthday present I ever got.

No complaints on any level.

Looking forward to having a real OBP guy at leadoff. Makes me kinda weepy. No more "where have you gone Bip Roberts, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you" snark from me this year. Great news all around.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    This guy thinks CLV wins the trade, Reds and Dbacks not so much.
    http://releasepoints.com/2012/12/12/...ree-team-deal/

I simply question this:
    Is one year of Choo, playing out of position, worth a projected 15-year career of an above Avg. SS and a "toolsy" outfielder that was a 6 win player in 2010-11?

Hang a WS Championship banner in 2013? Yes it's worth it. Anything less, it's probably not worth it at all.
    Don't forget the Reds should get a high draft pick from qualifying Choo at the end of the year. What's the value of a draft pick at the end of the first round?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The comparisons crack me up.

Gregorius = Jeter????

Give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    The comparisons crack me up.

Gregorius = Jeter????

Give me a break.
    He clearly loves Gregorius.

This deal may have made them much better down the road. With all of the usual caveats, it made the Reds much better right now.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    That was easily the best Reds birthday present I ever got.
    You'll have to share the trade with me. My oldest daughter told me it was made as a birthday present for me. The trade was just icing on the cake of a great birthday. Hope your birthday was equally as good.

Oh my goodness, how long until pitchers & catchers report?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Possibly. Making last year 72... And 2013 1973? Which Red will punch Bud Harrelson?
    Todd Frazier, of course.
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?