Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dickey to Jays almost done

Dickey to Jays almost done

Dickey for D'Arnaud and Gose as principals. Other players likely prospects may be involved in the final deal. Jays prefer to send Arencibia over D'Arnaud. Mets also want a catcher which is why prospects are being talked. Two sources I read say the principal part isa done deal though.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Dickey to Jays almost done

I like Dickey, but I just don't see him repeating last year. And isn't he on a one year deal? Seems like the Jays are overpaying, but it's hard to say that because he just won the CYA. Just seems like a risky guy going forward. And trading the #1 catching prospect for a question mark is a poor move IMO.

On a relared note those crazy Cubbies sign 36 y/o Korean reliever Lim Chang-Yong a sidearm Rh with 296 saves in Asian leagues over 18 yrs. He just had shoulder surgery and likely won't pit h until August 2014...

On a relared note those crazy Cubbies sign 36 y/o Korean reliever Lim Chang-Yong a sidearm Rh with 296 saves in Asian leagues over 18 yrs. He just had shoulder surgery and likely won't pit h until August 2014...this is either really stupid or brilliantly shrewd on Epstein's part.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Dickey for D'Arnaud and Gose as principals. Other players likely prospects may be involved in the final deal. Jays prefer to send Arencibia over D'Arnaud. Mets also want a catcher which is why prospects are being talked. Two sources I read say the principal part isa done deal though.
    Good deal for both teams. The Mets really need to add some position players to build with. Right now they have Wright and Ike Davis and that's about it. They need to get some luck and a good first half from Johan Santana so they can deal him for a couple more.

Dickey should help the Jays. I think they'll rank as the favorite in the AL East now.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

RA Dickey doesn't strike fear to me.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I believe as part of the deal they will sign Dickey to a two year extension for about $26M (what he was willing to sign with the Mets for), so they would have him for 3 years at about $10M per season.

Great financial deal for the Jays, but the cost in prospects is high. I like Gose (if he can fix his K and contact issues) as a leadoff hitter, especially. I also really like D'Arnaud. This, IMO, makes the Mets much better as early as this year.

A middle of the order including Davis Wright, Ike Davis, and D'Arnaud with Gose and Daniel Murphy is solid, if not spectacular. Add a couple corner OF bats (Duda and Baxter scare no one), and you've got a solid little lineup in front of a middling pitching rotation and a bad bullpen.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Hmmm.

So the Blue Jays, Dodgers, and Angels are in overpaying mode, and trying to win it all.

I'm a Dickey fan. But the fact that his lone start against the Reds last year resulted in him getting beat up by our offense didn't help things. Along with the fact I didn't realize he was 39 years old until Brutus pointed it out.

Dude will probably pitch 'til he's 45 or so. Good luck to him.

If the Reds didn't have their best starting pitching staff in my lifelong Reds fan history, I would have been interested.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    So the Blue Jays, Dodgers, and Angels are in overpaying mode, and trying to win it all.
    I don't agree that the Jays are in overpay mode. I think this Dickey trade is very similar to the Latos deal the Reds made last year. The Jays are trading from redundancies to land a TOR starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I don't agree that the Jays are in overpay mode. I think this Dickey trade is very similar to the Latos deal the Reds made last year. The Jays are trading from redundancies to land a TOR starter.
    That's one of the benefits of being based in Toronto-- any starter they acquire instantly becomes a TOR starter

In all seriousness, though, I agree that the deal makes sense for the Jays. Dickey has been consistently good since he started throwing the knuckler, and if the deal really does come with an extension on the order of 2/26, it seems pretty cost-effective.

I actually like the trade for Toronto should it happen. d'Arnaud is a stud but not exactly a sure thing (ie: he's more a Mesoraco than a Posey based on minor league performance). If you are in win-now mode, adding one of last year's Cy Young winners is about as good as it gets.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I see the Jays as taking going for it all because this is one of the first times in 10 years where the Yankees and Sox are not clearly the best teams. Toronto knows at some point in the near future everyone else in the AL East will be playing for 3rd again.

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    I see the Jays as taking going for it all because this is one of the first times in 10 years where the Yankees and Sox are not clearly the best teams. Toronto knows at some point in the near future everyone else in the AL East will be playing for 3rd again.
    Agreed completely.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Hmmm.

Don't forget the Royals!

Turn Off Ads?