Turn Off Ads?
Page 63 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Has Krono brought everyone apple juice?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's about 59,000 posts short - http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26042

Krono alone had more posts in that thread than there are in this thread.
    Wow, go to post #237 of that thread (and remember that thread was started in 2004).

I missed that appointment.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not really. The difference between Didi and Cozart for 2013 is small. Maybe a win, which on this team, isn't going to make a difference. And by the time the playoffs roll around, I think they will be on par.

Again, this isn't to say I don't like the trade or wouldn't have made it. Just that I believe there is more risk involved with the trade than a lot of people seem to believe there is, even for 2013.
    On par by playoff time is a pretty aggressive stance. Don't see it, I'm not sure I would be as bold as projecting as anymore than any slick field no hit shortstop that litter the game's history.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    On par by playoff time is a pretty aggressive stance. Don't see it, I'm not sure I would be as bold as projecting as anymore than any slick field no hit shortstop that litter the game's history.
    And I obviously disagree with that.

At this point, Cozart is a slick fielding no hit shortstop isn't he. Sure, he has a little bit of power. But he still can't hit. For all of the people who keep talking about how Didi is a light stick, are they forgetting that their current guy couldn't muster a .690 OPS at age 26 in the Majors?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Wow, go to post #237 of that thread (and remember that thread was started in 2004).

Today I Learned: Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Me as well

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    It spins the other way in Australia.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

At this point, Cozart is a slick fielding no hit shortstop isn't he. Sure, he has a little bit of power. But he still can't hit. For all of the people who keep talking about how Didi is a light stick, are they forgetting that their current guy couldn't muster a .690 OPS at age 26 in the Majors?
    I think your needle's stuck. Yes, Cozart is an old rookie, I get it. He has one year of major league numbers for you to drone on about, and drone on you will. By age 26, who will Gregorius be backing up?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Yep some folks think that a light will go on and then the guys out of the game at 31

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

You keep harping on this age thing when it's quite clear that a good number of us absolutely could not care less about it. He was still a rookie, 26 or not. He will get better with more MLB experience.

And yeah, Cozart didn't hit for any kind of average and he didn't get on base much, but he still showed good power for a SS.

By the way, Cozart has shown more than Gregorious has ever dreamed of to this point. Gregorious has some kind of mythical power potential. Cozart has actual power.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It spins the other way in Australia.
    Shut down Redszone, none of us will ever top this one.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    You keep harping on this age thing when it's quite clear that a good number of us absolutely could not care less about it. He was still a rookie, 26 or not. He will get better with more MLB experience.

And yeah, Cozart didn't hit for any kind of average and he didn't get on base much, but he still showed good power for a SS.

By the way, Cozart has shown more than Gregorious has ever dreamed of to this point. Gregorious has some kind of mythical power potential. Cozart has actual power.
    Sure. Most 26 year olds are better than most 22 year olds. I don't care what a good number of you think about him being an old rookie. Your assumption that he will get better with more experience may be true. But history of thousands of players just like him suggest it won't be by much and that the guy he is today is very likely close to the best he is going to ever be.

I also doubt that Gregorius has sat back and dreamt of his future and thought "Man, I bet in my best dream possible I can't hit .250 or get on base 29% of the time".

Gregorius doesn't have mythical power. He hit 6 home runs in 200 AAA at bats last season. He isn't Zack Cozart in the power department. Cozart has average power. Gregorius may have average shortstop power. There is a difference and Cozart undoubtedly has an edge there.

I really am done with all of this stuff though.

Within two seasons, Gregorius is going to be better than Cozart is. The Reds need to address their complete lack of actual shortstops behind Cozart. The Reds don't have a starting center fielder on their roster. I am glad we acquired Choo, even at the expense of Gregorius. The Reds offense is going to be awful good in 2013. /dougdirt in this thread.

Will be truly interesting to look back at this in two years to see who is the better player.

If I had to pick my poison, I'd rather be arguing about SS depth at AAA than a glaring hole at the top of the major league club lineup.

Sure, I"d like better depth, but I think WJ can putty up and bondo up SS depth by the end of sring training. It won't be perfect, but it will be passable.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post

Stay thirsty, my friend.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?