Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 72 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Re: Shin-soo Choo?

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

Some rival evaluators very impressed with what CIN lineup might be:Choo, Phillips, Votto, Ludwick, Bruce, Frazier, Hanigan, Cozart. Balance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    So it's Didi and Stubbs for Choo and it sounds like it's pretty much done.
    I have to bring myself down to the fact that I liked the original trade. I had some outrageous hopes there for a moment.

I hope Arizona's unwillingness to take Cabrera instead of Gregorius doesn't put the kibosh on the Choo part of the deal.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Since the Tribe acquired Choo for Ben Broussard, does that mean the Reds finally won the Russell Branyon trade?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Indians supposedly will try and get a deal for Swisher completed after letting go Choo in this trade.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I'm fangirling right now... And I'm not even a girl

Here is a recent piece (November) on Choo's contract and extension possibilities.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Extending Choo's contract was a popular topic and seemed possible a few winters ago. The concept was floated again last offseason with no results. Signing Choo to a multi-year contract now -- in his final winter of arbitration eligibility -- seems like wishful thinking.

"We have, on numerous occasions, looked to try to extend Choo's stay in Cleveland," Indians general manager Chris Antonetti said Monday morning. "We've looked to extend his contract. We just haven't been able to reach an agreement."

That makes trading Choo a real possibility this winter.

An important part of the equation during negotiations over the past few years is the fact that Choo is represented by agent Scott Boras. History has shown that Boras' clients have consistently tested free agency when they become eligible in order to seek robust contracts. Rare is the player who -- under Boras' watch -- signs an extension during his arbitration years.

Choo, 30, earned $4.9 million last season and could net a salary in the $7-8 million range for the 2013 campaign through the arbitration process. Cleveland should (and will) listen to trade offers for Choo simply because due diligence dictates such an approach. One way or another, the right fielder seems destined to don another team's jersey in 2014.
    And here is a piece on Chin's 2011 DUI arrest.
    http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index..._shin-soo.html
    Sheffield Lake Law Director David Graves said Choo was stopped on Lake Road (Route 6) at 2:25 a.m. when a police officer saw his car weaving on the road.
    "The officer smelled alcohol on the driver's breath," said Graves. "He performed a field sobriety test and was taken back to the police test. Police said he also failed a Breathalzyer test, registering a .20 [more than twice the legal limit of .08]."
    And here is piece which gives a "scouting report" on Choo as a potential trade target by a Yankees blog back last fall.
    http://riveraveblues.com/2012/11/sco...oo-choo-78753/
    Here are the big cons:
    The Cons
    Choo is a pure platoon bat. Against left-handers he hit just .199/.318/.286 (78 wRC+) this year and .239/.329/.318 (86 wRC+) over the last three years. His strikeout rate (21.9% overall, 24.8% against lefties) is not awful but it is worse than the league average. He wouldn’t bring any significant contact skills to the offense.

Despite the stolen base totals, Choo is basically an average baserunner. He’s gone 55-for-74 in steal attempts the last three years, a solid but not stellar 74.3% success rate. He’s also taken the extra base just 40% of the time during these last three years, for all intents and purposes equal to the 41% league average.

The various defensive metrics just hammered Choo this year, bad enough that his three-year stats (-8.9 UZR, -4 DRS, -17 TZ, -0.4 FRAA) are all in the red. He generally graded out as average or better in 2010 and 2011 but apparently was just brutal this year.

It’s not the ugliest medical history you’ll find, but Choo is no stranger to the DL. He missed about a week with a hamstring issue this year (related to the poor defensive numbers?), about three months with thumb (surgery required) and oblique problems last year, and most of 2007 and 2008 with elbow problems that eventually required Tommy John surgery.
    Last edited by klw; 12-11-2012 at 06:11 PM.

If completed, just more validation as to why this regime should have the full faith and backing of Redszone. Don't bother with the day to day hand wringing, overall the moves will be made in line with reality.

I was getting up to speed on the thread while listening to White Christmas and it struck me as kind of ironic.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Jocketty says "no comment"

We all know what that means

I'm happy with every starter in the lineup now.

Lets just stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Since the Tribe acquired Choo for Ben Broussard, does that mean the Reds finally won the Russell Branyon trade?
    I know Seattle didn't.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'm happy with every starter in the lineup now.

Lets just stay healthy.
    Health is out of everyone's control, but there's not a whole lot to dislike right now.

From an Indians' fan's perspective on Cleveland.com:

What could be happening (posted by wahooooo): 3 way trade and we get Stubbs, Bauer, and Corbin. Then deal Asdrubal to the Cardinals for Lynn and a pitching prospect. We will have added Bauer, Corbin, Lynn, plus the STL prospect. That sure helps the rotation and gives us some depth.

How would you rank Corcino, Cingrani, Bauer?

I ask because it is easy to envision a scenario where we could've gotten Choo and Bauer, while only giving up Stubbs + one of Cingrani/Corcino. Oh well. Gotta see glass as half full, or in the Reds case, 95% full!
    Go BLUE!!!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quick question....how would people rate Asdrubal's defense? I don't get to see a bunch of the Tribe, but when I do he looks pretty pedestrian. The highlight reels speak differently, but when don't they?

Turn Off Ads?