Turn Off Ads?
Page 66 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667686970 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Let's not get into that discussion again, please.

It's been done-- three times in the past few months.

Suffice it to say, there are posters on each side of that fence, and the more you state your opinion as fact, the more people are going to dog you for it. It has little to do with opinions-- it has lots to do with the way those opinions are presented.
    If one dives into the archives-and it's a perfectly reasonable thing to do (actually everyone should play in the archives, it's loaded with interesting stuff)-one should just make sure that they accurately represent the original position. If that's the case, there really shouldn't be much of an argument. If that's not the case, then evoking the archives might be one of the more transparent tells there could be....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    You really, *really* can't understand why that happens?
    Sure, I understand why it happens. People get something by "winning" and letting someone else know it.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sure, I understand why it happens. People get something by "winning" and letting someone else know it.
    Respectfully, that completely and utterly misses the point

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    *Love* this post. This happens to me all the time, too. Smart phones have made me into a chain-poster on RZ some days -- as you all may have noticed lately.
    Agreed. Posts like this make me want "rep" back...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Respectfully, that completely and utterly misses the point
    I don't think it does. If that weren't the point, it wouldn't happen.

Whines? Please. I probably have my opinions attacked on this site more than anyone (at least on the baseball side of the forum). There is no whining. I don't go crying to moderators. I usually just respond back with my evidence as to why I have my opinion. And for the record, no track record is brought up. People bring up Stewart. No one brings up how I told everyone that Stubbs had power when hardly anyone believed he could hit 10 home runs. Or that I was about the only person around who believed Mesoraco was still a prospect (and even a decent one) when most everyone else was writing him off as a bust. My track record isn't perfect. No one who deals in sports is going to be. No one who has and posts opinions on hundreds of players a year will.
    Right, you win some, you lose some. Which is why the dogmatism in your assertions is browbeat.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Right, you win some, you lose some. Which is why the dogmatism in your assertions is browbeat.
    I think that nails it. When folks make statements with such confidence and certainty, they set themselves up for ridicule when they are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    I think that nails it. When folks make statements with such confidence and certainty, they set themselves up for ridicule when they are wrong.
    Bank on it

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Bank on it
    Mortgage payment and first-born son
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Conversations go much better when softened with words and phrases such as:

Maybe
    Might
    Perhaps
    In my opinion
    Probably
    I'm not 100% sure
    Possibly
    I could be wrong

It's just more social and polite, it's easier to read, and when wrong (happens to me a lot) people go easier on me.
    sorry we're boring

Isn't it implied that "I think" is before every statement about the future? But, yeah, I do say things with confidence and certainty. Why would I open my mouth and talk about something I didn't feel that way about? I have strong opinions because I put plenty of thought and research into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post

Maybe
    Might
    Perhaps
    In my opinion
    Probably
    I'm not 100% sure
    Possibly
    I could be wrong

It's just more social and polite, it's easier to read, and when wrong (happens to me a lot) people go easier on me.
    Wise, you are.

Isn't it implied that "I think" is before every statement about the future? But, yeah, I do say things with confidence and certainty. Why would I open my mouth and talk about something I didn't feel that way about? I have strong opinions because I put plenty of thought and research into them.
    Tone and perception. Sometimes we don't realize how we come across. Strong opinions get strong replies. Been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post

Maybe
    Might
    Perhaps
    In my opinion
    Probably
    I'm not 100% sure
    Possibly
    I could be wrong

I'm wrong so much, I surprise folks when I actually get things right!
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Tone and perception. Sometimes we don't realize how we come across. Strong opinions get strong replies. Been there.
    Sure. I just find it silly that the replies continue happening, in absolutely no context to that opinion, years and years down the road other than to simply be a "in your face" for the benefit of the person saying "in your face".

Turn Off Ads?