Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Re: Shin-soo Choo?

Choo strikes me as a guy sick of losing. I think he'd be revitalized on a team that's young and on the cusp. Not to mention playing in a hitters ball park.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Any thoughts on the "other" player Reds would receive?

I'd take Tony Wolters as the eventual heir to BP at 2B. With DiDi, Lindor, and (still) Cabrera, not sure why the Indians would need that many future middle infielders.
    Go BLUE!!!

Part of me is extremely nervous about cutting bait on Drew Stubbs.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Choo would be like Tanaka in Major League 2
    Go BLUE!!!

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    This would be perhaps the best of all possible upgrades to bridge the way to Hamilton's arrival.
    Was just thinking the same thing. He could simmer until September without having to hear fans screaming for him to come up all year.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I can see that, but not when I think about Billy Hamilton's eventual arrival.
    Go BLUE!!!

Thrilled with the idea of Choo.

Keep in mind, though, he is a much, much better hitter against RHP.

Last year he hit .199 with a .605 OPS against lefties.

Against righties? .327/.403/.523/.926. Superb.

Lifetime, .695 OPS v. lefties. .914 against righties.

So we could see Ludwick sit against some righties, and Choo sit against some lefties.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Not me, man. It's time.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I wish they wouldn't have gotten Ludwick if this is true...
    Since Stubbs is part of the rumored deal, they'd still be an OF short if they hadn't signed Ludwick.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I know he's never shown it in the actual games vs Reds, but is he the kind of hitter who may not be helped by GABP as much? I'd think a high OBP type of hitter with doubles power would actually lose more hits than he gains in cheap home runs.

On the flip side, could make a defense with less than stellar range easier to swallow.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Ummmm....yes please?

I like Drew and Didi. But Choo has been my #1 target for a couple years now. He's a PERFECT fit for this club. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I know he's never shown it in the actual games vs Reds, but is he the kind of hitter who may not be helped by GABP as much? I'd think a high OBP type of hitter with doubles power would actually lose more hits than he gains in cheap home runs.

On the flip side, could make a defense with less than stellar range easier to swallow.
    With all due respect I think you are over thinking it. It's all about OBP and protecting the middle of the lineup.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    This rumor has been around for weeks. Probably has some legs to it. But you know, without Danny Knobler telling us who told him this rumor and what they were wearing when he was told it, we probably shouldn't believe it.

Really though, Choo is 30 years old and has played 10 games in his life at the position. Not sure how I feel about that kind of move. It is a move that makes sense if you didn't bring in Ludwick, but now that you have, I just don't know.
    Lol. Nice. :O)

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    With all due respect I think you are over thinking it. It's all about OBP and protecting the middle of the lineup.
    Totally. Actually, Choo could be a potential candidate to hit behind Joey as well, couldn't he? I know lineup needs would probably dictate that he hit earlier -- but his bat is potent enough to provide protection as well.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I'd be hesitant to part with Didi unless they are confident they can resign Choo.

Turn Off Ads?