Turn Off Ads?
Page 39 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Re: Shin-soo Choo?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Who said that Cozart was a below average defender?

And a lot of professional people in baseball would take Gregorius over Cozart, probably starting at some point this next season.
    Post #526 on this thread. Not you. Says Cozart is slightly below average shortstop.

If Cozart is hitting toward the bottom of the lineup, I'm very happy with him as the Reds' shortstop. Hopefully, Didi will do well too, a different type of player.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds acquire Shin-soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Choo in CF will likely burn us occasionally in bigger ballparks, but I don't think range will be an issue for him in GAB. And we likely do a Heisey to CF with Choo moving to LF in late inning defensive situations. The offensive upgrade suddenly makes this an above average lineup.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Well, he has played all of about 20 games there. He is still pretty raw out there. He should get better with experience.
    That's what I thought. Just a few weeks. You can't really expect improvements in that short of a time. I think we'll have a much better handle on what he can do out there around the middle of this coming season.

Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Acquiring Choo is nothing to sneeze at....but to get $3.5 back as well....that's even better.

Doug....when are you ever happy about them trading any prospects. Choo is a solid player, you cannot get him for Grade B prospects, even in his walk year.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Acquiring Choo is nothing to sneeze at....but to get $3.5 back as well....that's even better.

Doug....when are you ever happy about them trading any prospects. Choo is a solid player, you cannot get him for Grade B prospects, even in his walk year.
    I was thrilled about the Mat Latos deal. I am ok with this deal.

Adn Choo is much more than solid. I just don't think he is a center fielder.

Assuming everyone's healthy, the lineup should now have folks in more natural places:
    Righty
    Choo
    Phillips
    Votto
    Ludwick
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Cozart
    Hanigan/Mes

Lefty
    Phillips
    Cozart
    Votto
    Ludwick
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Heisey
    Hanigan/Mes
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Well, he has played all of about 20 games there. He is still pretty raw out there. He should get better with experience.
    All I'm saying is that it's something to watch for this season, and that he is not starting from a very good place.

It's asking a lot of a player to suddenly change their position. Especially from the infield to outfield no?
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Re: Reds acquire Shin-soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Choo in CF will likely burn us occasionally in bigger ballparks, but I don't think range will be an issue for him in GAB. And we likely do a Heisey to CF with Choo moving to LF in late inning defensive situations. The offensive upgrade suddenly makes this an above average lineup.
    Ludwick will probably need 35-50 games off throughout the season. Use some of them on the west coast trips, put Heisey in center, Choo in left.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Bronson now has company.
    Bronson's a pitcher though, we all know that doesn't count. A regular position player though? Who is he, Mark Lemke?
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Assuming everyone's healthy, the lineup should now have folks in more natural places:
    Righty
    Choo
    Phillips
    Votto
    Ludwick
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Cozart
    Hanigan/Mes

Lefty
    Phillips
    Cozart
    Votto
    Ludwick
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Heisey
    Hanigan/Mes
    I would think Choo would get a few of the starts against lefties too, wouldn't he? Doesn't he have like a career .340 OBP against them?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm stunned we got Choo for two marginal major leaguers.

Stubbs may be out of baseball before long if his numbers continue to trend downward. And Gregorius will never be anything more than a utility guy. No power. Doesn't hit for average. Just a good glove. He's Janish-lite.

Choo was a steal. Reds will be dealin' in 2013.

I was thrilled about the Mat Latos deal. I am ok with this deal.

Adn Choo is much more than solid. I just don't think he is a center fielder.
    Yes, that is true you liked that deal better than the Marshall deal....which confused me though more....that you would be.

You said though that this could have serious ramifications later....which said to me, you were not that happy with it. My mistake./

Good luck to Drew Stubbs. One of the most perplexing talents the Reds have had on their roster in recent years. Love this trade. Good friend of mine (Indians fan) said you have a great player in Choo. Go Reds! Our glaring weakness is not so glaring any longer.

Walt continues to deal redundent parts for needed parts.

Well done.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Walt continues to deal redundent parts for needed parts.

Well done.
    Well said. "Redundant part"

Turn Off Ads?