Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Re: Shin-soo Choo?

One huge benefit from acquiring Choo: Arroyo wouldn't have to face him.

I'm not too bothered by the prospect of Choo in CF. 1. His steady stolen-base production suggests he has enough speed. 2. He has a tremendous arm. 3. He'll have good outfielders around him. 4. There's a relatively small CF at GABP. 5. Between platooning, Heisey, etc., his exposure in CF will be somewhat hedged. 6. He played a good bit of CF in the minors.

Also, I don't mind at all that Ludwick was signed first. It fills both the cleanup and leadoff roles, which is exactly what needed to be done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I believe this blurb from MLBTR was updated with more info:

The Reds and Indians are deep in talks that would send Shin-Soo Choo to Cincinnati, according to Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com. The Indians would receive center fielder Drew Stubbs and shortstop Didi Gregorius in return while the Reds are expected to receive another player in the deal.

The Reds would use Choo in center field even though he hasn't seen time at the position for the Indians since 2009 and has played just ten MLB games at the position in total. The Reds are banking on the 30-year-old's offensive production being able to make up for whatever they might lose defensively. The veteran owns a .289/.381/.465 slash line across eight major league seasons.

The acquisition of Gregorius could allow the Indians to deal fellow shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera. Cabrera, 27, is set to earn $6.5MM in 2013 and $10MM in 2014 before hitting free agency. Meanwhile, the 22-year-old Gregorious won't be arbitration eligible until 2016 and won't see the open market until 2019. The Netherlands native split time between Double-A and Triple-A last season, hitting .265/.324/.393 with seven homers in 561 plate appearances.

Choo, a Scott Boras client, is set to hit the open market after the 2013 season. The club was said to have him available via trade, albeit with a high price tag.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#loPcOdJFWWfZJ14Y.99
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    I'd be hesitant to part with Didi unless they are confident they can resign Choo.
    Why? Walt has already said he's looking to deal from a strength at SS. They've got Cozart to start and Burriss to backup already. DiDi is surplus value that should be traded to fill other needs. Right?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Color me surprised Choo made only $4.9 million in 2012. He had three straight star-level seasons from 2008-2010 and just one off/injured year before bouncing back to .283/.373/.441 in 2012.

He's obviously due for a raise in 2013, but it also looks like a probable one-year rental.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    One huge benefit from acquiring Soo: Arroyo wouldn't have to face him.

I'm not too bothered by the prospect of Choo in CF. 1. His steady stolen-base production suggests he has enough speed. 2. He has a tremendous arm. 3. He'll have good outfielders around him. 4. There's a relatively small CF at GABP. 5. Between platooning, Heisey, etc., his exposure in CF will be somewhat hedged. 6. He played a good bit of CF in the minors.

Also, I don't mind at all that Ludwick was signed first. It fills both the cleanup and leadoff roles, which is exactly what needed to be done.
    Nice post, completely agree.

This deal would transform the Reds lineup for 2013. Choo is that good, and exactly fills the Reds' need for OBP against RHP.

Stubbs and Gregorius? Would do it, yes, despite Gregorius' potential.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I believe this blurb from MLBTR was updated with more info:
    Stubbs and Gregorius doesn't seem to qualify as a "high price tag," does it?
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

With all due respect I think you are over thinking it. It's all about OBP and protecting the middle of the lineup.
    More than likely true. Even if numbers hurt a little bit, he'd still be light years ahead of Stubbs numbers from last year.
    But the larger point is that "hitter's park" doesn't apply perfectly evenly.
    I worried about this when they discussed guys like Fowler and Pierre, who both had good OBP in Coors because the outfield is HUGE. But the larger point is that "hitter's park" doesn't apply perfectly evenly.

Some will see numbers go up, some will see numbers stay even, few will see numbers go down, and they need to identify what type of hitter would have more trouble in GABP than in a different park.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Totally. Actually, Choo could be a potential candidate to hit behind Joey as well, couldn't he? I know lineup needs would probably dictate that he hit earlier -- but his bat is potent enough to provide protection as well.
    In my eyes the perfect scenario is to resign him and once BHam comes up slide him down to Second.

1 Bham
    2 Choo
    3 Joey
    4 Bruce
    5 BP
    6 Frazier
    7 Cozart
    8 Hanny/whoever's catching

In my eyes the perfect scenario is to resign him and once BHam comes up slide him down to Second.

1 Bham
    2 Choo
    3 Joey
    4 Bruce
    5 BP
    6 Frazier
    7 Cozart
    Good lord. If Billy pans out, that's one doozy of a lineup!

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Nope. But with most teams settling their OF needs and Texas still fixated on Justin Upton, I'm not sure the Indians have much of a choice. They are not contending this year (especially not with the latest Royals trade) so they have no use for one more year of Choo- might as well sell him for the highest bid, which seems to be Stubbs and DiDi at the moment.

If I were Walt, I may just call up Kevin Towers one last time and offer him the same package + Leake for J.Upton, just to be sure (esp. since Reds don't seem to mind going without a true CF). Once they decline, hang up and get the Choo deal done.
    Go BLUE!!!

Did the post say that? Did I say that?

1 Bham
    2 Choo
    3 Joey
    4 Bruce
    5 BP
    6 Frazier
    7 Cozart
    But what if Ludwick is still hitting well?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I don't think so. As I see it the Reds on paper are the best I've seen in a long time and I like the fact that this deal is for 2013. We aren't restacking here - we are going for it. If Chap works out in the rotation and we can fix the OBP issue in front of Votto. If we stay healthy this team could make a series threat towards the WS. I would love this deal and just maybe Choo likes an opportunity to win a ring and falls in love with the Reds and a deal can be worked out. We just don't know.

And if Mesoraco pans out well:

1 Bham
    2 Choo
    3 Joey
    4 Bruce
    5 Mesoraco
    6 BP
    7 Frazier
    8 Cozart
    9 Pitcher

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    And if Mesoraco pans out well:

1 Bham
    2 Choo
    3 Joey
    4 Bruce
    5 Mesoraco
    6 BP
    7 Frazier
    8 Cozart
    9 Pitcher
    I'd be surprised if Mez ever hits above Frazier in the lineup.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?