Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

This is a dare-to-be-great move, and it isn't without risk. . . Yet, I love it.

This does leave some questions about OF defense and speed on the base paths--but those are discussions for another day.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Re: Shin-soo Choo?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    It's not as drastic a change as you'd think. Athletically, he clearly has the tools. It's simply a matter of learning to pick up the ball off the bat readily. Early on, his speed should cover up most of his mistakes. But reps alone will improve on his reads. My biggest concern defensively with Hamilton is how his arm plays in center. His legs & glove should be more than fine...they should be EXTREMELY fine.
    This is good to hear, and of course I am cheering for the best case scenario.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Choo will probably play LF at least about 30-40 games....I would imagine. Ludwick is not going to start more than 140 games, and at least 10 of those will be as a DH. He will be rested, like last year. If Dusty plays it right....he does mostly on the road. I know Heisey is not a great CF but at least he is more used to playing it.

Love the Trade and the compensation that will be rfecouped when Choo is qualified. the Red's addressed the one glaring weakness at the top of the lineup. Bring on the season right now!
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

So, we get Choo and $3.5M and all we have to give up are Gregorious and Stubbs? I must be missing something. Does Choo have a broken leg? Is the Korean military going to draft him if they lose the WBC? Is he allergic to chili?

This is a great deal! I feared Choo when the Reds played CLE. I am glad he's with the Reds. It's too bad Stubbs regressed like he did but you can't say the Reds didn't give him every opportunity. Every off-season we heard he was going to get better and every year he got worse. I liked Gregorious from what I saw of him in September but you can't hold on to all your prospects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Re: Shin-soo Choo?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Here's a thought: Given BP's double play tendencies and Choo's batting from the left-hand side, why not bat BP leadoff and Choo 2nd?
    This is an interesting comment so I'll quote it 30 pages later.

I think any value added from avoided BP double-plays is negated from the extra PA Phillips might get against a LOOGY thanks to be sandwichted between two lefties...

They are not batting Choo in the 2 hole unless he fails at lead off, which stats shows, he flourishes there. Something like this will happen:

RF/CF Choo
    2B BP
    1B Votto
    LF Ludwick
    CF/RF Bruce
    3B Frazier
    SS Cozart
    C Hanigan/Mes

I like that balance of L,R,L,R,L for the top 5 hitters!

Rotation of:
    Cueto
    Latos
    Bailey
    Chapman
    Arroyo

Legit all around!

My favorite part about this trade? Not having to listen to people whine about Stubbs' strikeouts.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Fantastic Trade. Awesome!
    The offensive upgrade from Stubbs to Choo is what this team needed after scoring less than 700 runs last year. We got an asset for a liability.
    And we got money. MONEY. $3.5 million. C'mon Walt, go out and buy something nice.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

My favorite part about this trade? Not having to listen to people whine about Stubbs' strikeouts.
    They will just whine about Choo's now. He isn't exactly a contact oriented hitter....

Adam Dunn II. I wish him (Drew) well, but I'd seen enough.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Brandon Phillips ‏@DatDudeBP

#RealTalk: @DidiG18 u are one of the #BEST SS I played next to & I played next to many! Sad to see u go but happy 4 your opportunity #DoWork

Cleveland fans will have to deal with that now (Reynolds and Stubbs!)
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Cleveland fans will have to deal with that now (Reynolds and Stubbs!)
    Wonder what the team record for strike outs are.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

If disk learns how to hit we are going to see him at the mid season classic....but then again there are tons of guys just like him who can't hit well enought to stick around.

Turn Off Ads?