Turn Off Ads?
Page 49 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

I really like this trade. This really improves the offense. Getting Choo puts someone at the top of the lineup who isn't allergic to 1b. The defense took hit, how much of a hit is a big question. If Choo can play a slightly below average CF then its a big win for the Reds.

The writing was on the wall for Stubbs. I think Walt knew he couldn't go into the 2013 season with him starting and leading off. As for Gregorious I don't mind losing him. He may end up being a better SS than Cozart but Zack isn't exactly a slouch. The Reds now have 5 years to find a suitable replacement for Cozart.

As for the question of who backs up Cozart, who cares? I guess the answer is who ever is playing SS in Louisville. I don't think you can go into a season worrying about who is the backup at every position. Gregorious value may have never been higher, no sense on holding onto him if he isn't going to see the field.

Now adding to my wish list, go sign Tony Plush. Heisey is going to see a ton of late inning action if he isn't starting. Heisey is an average CF defender, Plush is better. I would rather have him on the bench than Xavier Paul.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Is it in this team's character to play with a lead? 2010 and 2012 being marked by come back wins?
    It's two sides of the same coin. A good bullpen stops late scoring, which allows your team to keep scoring for comeback wins. And, when you've got a lead, that good bullpen protects it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Now adding to my wish list, go sign Tony Plush. Heisey is going to see a ton of late inning action if he isn't starting. Heisey is an average CF defender, Plush is better. I would rather have him on the bench than Xavier Paul.
    Morgan made sense as a platoon partner for Stubbs. I don't think he makes nearly as much sense now that we have a left-handed hitting CF. I'd rather see the Reds go after a power bat to replace Paul.

One thing that might not be worth forgetting - Ryan LaMarre bats right handed. He could be ready for the majors at some point this year, and reportedly plays pretty good defense in CF. Chris Heisey is likely a better option right now, but in case there is an injury of some sort, I wouldn't rule out LaMarre as a backup CF.
    Go BLUE!!!

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=19139

Here's some more scouting detail on Gregorius, courtesy of BP prospect person Mark Anderson:

Gregorius moves well to both sides, displaying good instincts and first-step quickness and making his range a strong positive. His hands are soft and he reads hops well, allowing him to make plays cleanly. He adds in plus arm strength, giving him an above-average overall defensive profile.

At the plate, Gregorius makes easy contact but lacks the strength to impact the ball and consistently drive it to the outfield. He is an aggressive swinger who won’t work deep into counts or take many walks, and he would be well-served to develop a better plan at the plate. There is very little power projection in Gregorius’ game.

Gregorius may be able to hit only at the bottom of the order, leaving some scouts to project him as a second-division starter and possibly only a utility player. He shouldn’t be viewed as a frontline player with impact potential.

All right, predictions:

Reds - Choo's bat is as advertised. He'll have a shaky April in the field, leading some to insist his dWAR is -1,000,000, but he'll get the hang of things and play steady out there for the rest of the season. Jason Donald turns out to be one of those sneaky good utility players, the kind the Cardinals are always pulling out of their hat.

Indians - Bauer fights control issues all season and speculation arises that he might need to make a bullpen conversion. Stubbs' flaws continue to overwhelm his strengths and he gets non-tendered after the season. Fat Matt Albers (he of the nickname announcers dare not speak out loud) pitches well enough and gets dealt away this summer. Shaw serves as a bullpen innings eater.

DBacks - Gregorius' glove proves ready, but he struggles at the plate. Cliff Pennington gets most of the SS work in 2013. Sipp gives the team a working LOOGY. Anderson settles into his career as a AAA 1B.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Being that I live in Korea and they televise every Choo game, I'm stoked! Also the reds will see a boost in merchandise sales. There are more Indians hats/jerseys seen around Seoul than local Kleague teams. Just an added bonus.

WJ never ceases to amaze.

Dusty's obsession with L-R-L-R-L is going to come in handy late innings now. Either Brandon sees more lefties, Joey sees more righties, or a team burns their bullpen in one inning.

If its the late inning of a close game, and the opposing manager brings in a LOOGY to face Choo, do you PH him with Heisey?
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    One thing that might not be worth forgetting - Ryan LaMarre bats right handed. He could be ready for the majors at some point this year, and reportedly plays pretty good defense in CF. Chris Heisey is likely a better option right now, but in case there is an injury of some sort, I wouldn't rule out LaMarre as a backup CF.
    As a backup. LaMarre has been viewed as a "tweener" since even before he was drafted- and while he runs and gets on base well, he lacks power. He'll be 24 all season and has never hit more than six homers per year in three as a pro.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And I've yet to watch it. Still no interest to.

Can we start referring to Jason Donald as The Donald? No need to beat around the bush on this. We're all going there at some point. Everything this guy does, he does classy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I like this deal..Love Choo's OBP at leadoof..
    Actually Ron...that's what we had last season. Lead-OOF! Punch to the kidneys. :O)

Choo started slow at the plate last year as he did the prior year too. Some casual fans may be questioning the move after he misplays a couple in center early and is struggling some at the plate.

Donald has usually failed to impress in the many chances he has been given, but he will be an improvement no doubt in the utility spot for the Reds.

Cleveland is good about trading for young starters and realizing later they are better off in the pen. Bauer though is different. He has 4 or 5 above average pitches and is young, stubborn, but young enough to gain the control (which he showed more of in college).

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    All right, predictions:

Reds - Choo's bat is as advertised. He'll have a shaky April in the field, leading some to insist his dWAR is -1,000,000, but he'll get the hang of things and play steady out there for the rest of the season. Jason Donald turns out to be one of those sneaky good utility players, the kind the Cardinals are always pulling out of their hat.

Indians - Bauer fights control issues all season and speculation arises that he might need to make a bullpen conversion. Stubbs' flaws continue to overwhelm his strengths and he gets non-tendered after the season. Fat Matt Albers (he of the nickname announcers dare not speak out loud) pitches well enough and gets dealt away this summer. Shaw serves as a bullpen innings eater.

DBacks - Gregorius' glove proves ready, but he struggles at the plate. Cliff Pennington gets most of the SS work in 2013. Sipp gives the team a working LOOGY. Anderson settles into his career as a AAA 1B.
    Last edited by Bill; 12-12-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Have had "I am the Walrus" stuck in my head since the rumors hit twitter last night...and, yes, I know now its goo goo g'joob, but growing up, I always heard it as coo coo k'choo
    You made me look it up Mem. I'm a Beatle-maniac...and I also always thought it was coo coo k'choo. To be honest, I'm not sure I believe the internet lyrics on that one. I'm sticking with coo coo k'choo. It's just...WRONG, otherwise. :O) Happy belated btw.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/...sports_bl.html

Speaking of watching, the Reds want Choo to replace Stubbs in center. They will regret that move, because one reason the Indians were able to deal for Choo was that he struggled in center for Seattle. He also was inconsistent last season for the Tribe in right. Stubbs and Michael Brantley will give the Indians superb speed in the outfield, regardless of who plays center.

Turn Off Ads?