Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Re: Shin-soo Choo?

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    And if Mesoraco pans out well:

1 Bham
    2 Choo
    3 Joey
    4 Bruce
    5 Mesoraco
    6 BP
    7 Frazier
    8 Cozart
    9 Pitcher
    Stop! You're giving me chills!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Why? Walt has already said he's looking to deal from a strength at SS. They've got Cozart to start and Burriss to backup already. DiDi is surplus value that should be traded to fill other needs. Right?
    Because Zack Cozart is entering his age 27 season and has a career OBP of .290 in the Major Leagues?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Did the post say that? Did I say that?
    The MLBTR post did. Rosenthal just tweeted the Reds may be getting a second player in the deal, which is crazy.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Because Zack Cozart is entering his age 27 season and has a career OBP of .290 in the Major Leagues?
    I'm not saying he's perfect. But he's serviceable. And you've got to give up something to get Choo. I know you value DiDi highly -- but this trade just seems too good to pass up, doesn't it? If not, what would you suggest?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I keep saying that people on here drastically underestimate the trade value of Gregorius. He is a Top 100 prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    The MLBTR post did. Rosenthal just tweeted the Reds may be getting a second player in the deal, which is crazy.
    Ah, sorry. I'm reading things too fast. If the second player is worth beans, yes, it is crazy.

I'm not saying he's perfect. But he's serviceable. And you've got to give up something to get Choo. I know you value DiDi highly -- but this trade just seems too good to pass up, doesn't it? If not, what would you suggest?
    Oh, I would pull the trigger on the deal. I am just saying that Cozart isn't exactly someone to count on IMO and that is why I could understand the hesitation to move Gregorius.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Did the post say that? Did I say that?
    ...yes?

Choo almost assuredly is not as bad a fielder as last year indicated, as he's not that old, and other seasons he has been more than adequate. He'd clearly be below average in CF, but his bat would of course more than make up the difference.

I'd much prefer to work this deal around Heisey and maybe another lesser piece in replace of Stubbs. Stubbs would fit the roster much better, as he could pose to be a perfect platoon partner for Choo (as he can't hit lefties whereas Stubbs is very good), and replace Choo in late inning defensive situations. Heisey really doesn't offer either of those qualities very well and therefore would be a much more poor fit as a back-up OF'der.

Choo would represent an upgrade, but I fear that there are much cheaper ways of doing so (ie. get a DeAza or Morgan to be a true platoon partner for Stubbs), and likely wouldn't have to give up the prospect of Didi's caliber).

Cozart hit a lot of XBH, which can serve well at the bottom of the lineup.

Is this happening?

Senor Votto

This let's Billy play Triple A all year if it happens.

1. Choo
    2. Phillips
    3. Votto
    4. Ludwick
    5. Bruce
    6. Frazier
    7. Cozart
    8. Hanigan

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    How did Gregorious end up so highly regarded? How is he anything more than a glorified Paul Janish?

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Cozart hit a lot of XBH, which can serve well at the bottom of the lineup.

Is this happening?
    Good point. Replacing Stubbs's bat with Choo's is already a huge leap, but getting Stubbs and Cozart out of the top two spots will be an even bigger offensive jump.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Is this happening?
    Wish I knew the answer to that! All I do know is that I'm going to be glued to this forum tonight. So yes, Ojo Rojo will be around some more today (collective sighs).

Wish I knew the answer to that! All I do know is that I'm going to be glued to this forum tonight. So yes, Ojo Rojo will be around some more today (collective sighs).

Turn Off Ads?