Turn Off Ads?
Page 67 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1757636465666768697071 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1070

Thread: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

  1. #991
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,914

    Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Isn't it implied that "I think" is before every statement about the future? But, yeah, I do say things with confidence and certainty. Why would I open my mouth and talk about something I didn't feel that way about? I have strong opinions because I put plenty of thought and research into them.
    Your comment in this thread was "Gregorious will be xxxx as a hitter". At no point in your argument about him have you recognized there is even a slight chance that he might not be an acceptable major league starting SS.

    I just don't get that. As a prospect, that isn't even elite, I find it difficult that you aren't willing to even entertain that notion. People get turned off by the notion that you state things as a fact, especially when you generally do so in regards to prospects. Just because you watch the minor league games more closely than us, and examine the stats, and talk to the scouts does not make your stances infallible, and does not mean that another poster's perception of the prospect is flawed because they didn't arrive at the analysis the same way. It just seems especially on that topic that posters here are consistently turned off by the tone you use on those arguments.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #992
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,037

    Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Isn't it implied that "I think" is before every statement about the future? But, yeah, I do say things with confidence and certainty. Why would I open my mouth and talk about something I didn't feel that way about? I have strong opinions because I put plenty of thought and research into them.
    But when you say things with such confidence and certainty when there is an opposing viewpoint, and that opposing viewpoint turns out to be correct...prepare to take the heat. Not call the other side "childish".

    I think Zack Cozart is going to be better than Didi career-wise. But I could be wrong.

    However you will never see me write a curt response to someone simply saying "Cozart will be better than Didi." It comes across confrontational to many, whether or not it was intended that way. So I would ask that ones who speak/type like that confront that reality. And many take the heat just fine. You usually do too Doug, but every once in a while you break out the "act like an adult" speech.

    We've (the board) had this discussion earlier this year...

  4. #993
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,445

    Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Your comment in this thread was "Gregorious will be xxxx as a hitter". At no point in your argument about him have you recognized there is even a slight chance that he might not be an acceptable major league starting SS.

    I just don't get that. As a prospect, that isn't even elite, I find it difficult that you aren't willing to even entertain that notion. People get turned off by the notion that you state things as a fact, especially when you generally do so in regards to prospects. Just because you watch the minor league games more closely than us, and examine the stats, and talk to the scouts does not make your stances infallible, and does not mean that another poster's perception of the prospect is flawed because they didn't arrive at the analysis the same way. It just seems especially on that topic that posters here are consistently turned off by the tone you use on those arguments.
    When I use the words project or has the potential to be, and I have numerous times in this thread, it means he isn't that and needs to work to do so. It is implied within there that of course there is a chance it won't happen.

  5. #994
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,667

    Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Isn't it implied that "I think" is before every statement about the future? But, yeah, I do say things with confidence and certainty. Why would I open my mouth and talk about something I didn't feel that way about? I have strong opinions because I put plenty of thought and research into them.
    If you would have said something like "don't be surprised if Didi outperforms Cozart at the same age," I'm guessing there would have been friendly discussion from dissenters. Instead, you get "who does this guy think he is?" type responses. It just sounds arrogant. And I know arrogant. Look at my posting history
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  6. #995
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,445

    Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    If you would have said something like "don't be surprised if Didi outperforms Cozart at the same age," I'm guessing there would have been friendly discussion from dissenters. Instead, you get "who does this guy think he is?" type responses. It just sounds arrogant. And I know arrogant. Look at my posting history
    I prefer the term confident. And I am. I don't just talk to talk.

  7. #996
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,914

    Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    When I use the words project or has the potential to be, and I have numerous times in this thread, it means he isn't that and needs to work to do so. It is implied within there that of course there is a chance it won't happen.
    It's implied only when you use it.

    Ok, as usual, everyone wrong but you. The rest of us are the ones with the reading comprehension problem!

  8. #997
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,667

    Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I prefer the term confident. And I am. I don't just talk to talk.
    Confidence wouldn't spend several posts defending oneself after they claim to be done with the discussion.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  9. #998
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I prefer the term confident. And I am. I don't just talk to talk.
    If you are being told that you sometimes come across as arrogant, and you come back with a comment like this one, well, I think you deserve whatever gets thrown your way when your opinions are wrong.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  10. #999
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,445

    Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Confidence wouldn't spend several posts defending oneself after they claim to be done with the discussion.
    I am done with the conversation as it involves the players involved. I however am not done defending myself or to sit back and not respond to people who attack or question me.

  11. #1000
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,445

    Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    It's implied only when you use it.

    Ok, as usual, everyone wrong but you. The rest of us are the ones with the reading comprehension problem!
    As we have seen when this has been brought up in the past, I am hardly alone on "my side".

  12. #1001
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,445

    Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

    Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    If you are being told that you sometimes come across as arrogant, and you come back with a comment like this one, well, I think you deserve whatever gets thrown your way when your opinions are wrong.
    Go for it then. Personally, though, I don't get anything extra from "in your facing" someone because they were strong or confident in their stance on something. Maybe you and others do. I prefer to just let them be wrong.

  13. #1002
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,374

    Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

    Okay, maybe I'm missing something. But did people on here really assume that Doug was stating facts about what Didi was going to turn out being? That he WOULD BE a +.700 ops bat? Foregone conclusion? I certainly didn't see that anywhere. If you guys can't see that someone is simply posting their opinion on what someone may become when they're talking about a prospects' future, then IMO you're simply looking to stir things up and start an argument. "IMO" and "Possibly" and such things should be implied in any discussion about a prospect's future. Heck, most everything that I type on the internet could have a "IMO" attached to it...because guess what, I'm stating what I think. This whole discussion is beyond silly, but then again, this is just "my opinion." *rolls eyes*
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  14. #1003
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,914

    Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

    Post #942:

    I don't care what a good number of you think about him being an old rookie.
    Nobody sees any condescention there?

    Within two seasons, Gregorius is going to be better than Cozart is.
    Is this not presented as fact? Especially in consideration of the remainder of the post basically tearing down WM for even suggesting that Cozart and the fact he is established could be considered the more valuable piece?

    I'm just saying, there is a reason that people LOVE to bring back old incorrect predictions made by Doug specifically. When you put it on a tee, and push in everyone's faces until they can't see the light of day, I find it difficult to complain when it comes back at you.
    Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 12-14-2012 at 05:28 PM.

  15. #1004
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    21,081

    Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

    The Reds are going to kick some serious booty in the NL next year with Choo at leadoff!
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  16. #1005
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Post #942:



    Nobody sees any condescention there?



    Is this not presented as fact? Especially in consideration of the remainder of the post basically tearing down WM for even suggesting that Cozart and the fatc he is established could be considered the more valuable piece?
    Yep
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25