Turn Off Ads?
Page 68 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1858646566676869707172 LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1070

Thread: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

This site would be much better if people only made completely irrefutable posts like "I think if Didi can become a decent hitting shortstop he will be a decent hitting shortstop". It goes without saying that the above is just my opinion.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    This is all what makes baseball so much fun.

There isn't any other sport where trades are made and you can get ~1000 posts made on the nuances and assumptions and implications and predictions of trading a AAA shortstop. People get in here and endlessly wrangle over the trade.

But, we're all fans and we love this stuff and we thrive on it. We *like* endlessly wrangling and carrying points to the most extreme reaches of the universe. Sometimes people get too serious or get their noses out of joint, but its because we love this sport. And the fun thing about RedsZone is that it is a time machine where you can go back in time and see all the arguments pro and con before the story all unfolded. Some people end up correct and some people end up way off.

My wife laughs at me because sometimes we're standing in the checkout line at Target or Costco and I'm on my phone reading RZ and muttering under my breath and how some people are full of crap and she asks me "why do you bother so much about that stuff?". And then I go on this big rant about this player or trade and she looks at me like I've got a 3rd eye in my forehead. And then I realize how much of a fan I am and how much the Reds are part of the fabric of my life. Have been since the age of 12 and I think I'm pretty much stuck with it to my grave. But I think, overall, its a pretty good way to pass time and it keeps me out of bars.

Carry on... just me thinking out loud.
    Why on Earth would you want to stay out of bars?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    The Reds are going to kick some serious booty in the NL next year with Choo at leadoff!
    Bank on it

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Post #942:

Nobody sees any condescention there?

Is this not presented as fact? Especially in consideration of the remainder of the post basically tearing down WM for even suggesting that Cozart and the fact he is established could be considered the more valuable piece?

I'm just saying, there is a reason that people LOVE to bring back old incorrect predictions made by Doug specifically. When you put it on a tee, and push in everyone's faces until they can't see the light of day, I find it difficult to complain when it comes back at you.
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99639

Nearly every post in the 3 Bold Predictions for 2013 thread is "presented as fact" then. But of course they aren't. People just assumed, as they should, that they are being presented as "I think......"

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

The Angels have a surplus of outfielders following their agreement with Josh Hamilton, and there’s reason to believe GM Jerry Dipoto will make a deal to balance out his roster. The Angels are “very likely” to trade an outfielder such as Peter Bourjos or Mark Trumbo for a pitcher, Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter). Depending on the return, either player could be moved. Trumbo seems less available than Bourjos, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter).

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#AsGg7v6dss3LAbrK.99

Both Bourjos and Trumbo will remain under team control through 2016 and won't be arbitration eligible until after the 2013 season. Earlier today, Dave Cameron of FanGraphs explained that Bourjos closely resembles Cameron Maybin and suggested he’d be a worthwhile pickup for a team in need of a center fielder.
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#AsGg7v6dss3LAbrK.99

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Nearly every post in the 3 Bold Predictions for 2013 thread is "presented as fact" then. But of course they aren't. People just assumed, as they should, that they are being presented as "I think......"
    Exactly. Nobody (outside of Karnac of course *grin*) can see the future. To imply that someone is claiming that they can because they don't add in the "safety words" is kinda silly.

And the thread is labeled with "bold predictions." Bold being the key word.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    And the thread is labeled with "bold predictions." Bold being the key word.
    Just like a discussion about prospects with the key word being "prospects", right?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Exactly. Nobody (outside of Karnac of course *grin*) can see the future. To imply that someone is claiming that they can because they don't add in the "safety words" is kinda silly.
    If absolutes aren't intended then folks shouldn't speak in absolutes.

No amount of verbal gerrymandering will change that fact

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    If absolutes aren't intended then folks shouldn't speak in absolutes.

No amount of verbal gerrymandering will change that fact

I'm confused is that your opinion or is it a fact?

You do realize we're simply chatting on an internet message board and not typing up our college doctorate dissertation....right? I wasn't aware that we had to choose our words quite so carefully in such a casual environment. Apparently I was mistaken.

"None of the previous content should be construed as facts, these are all opinions or thoughts that I believe to be true even though they may not actually be true. Some things that I may believe to be facts were actually information gathered from the internet which does not have any sort of fact checking guru supervising it. Reader beware."

Maybe we should all include this phrase in our signatures? Lots of absolutes are quoted around here as facts but they're just bits of information we've gathered off of the net. Yet we're trusting that information as factual....how many people have actually done the research to verify that these things are accurate? I sure don't. There could be some guy at baseballreference.com who is dyslexic and has completely screwed up everybody's projections for Billy Hamilton going forward. Oh darn.

Semantics. I think a bit of common sense should simply be applied.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 12-14-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Wait... this is a chat board??

Look, the question was posed as to why Doug is constantly being slammed.

I provided an answer that most people seem to agree with, in that he could work on his tone and condescention, as it seems most people share that viewpoint.

You guys can keep your fingers in your ears, but, don't be surprised if the same conversation keeps coming up.

Ya, I think you must just have a reading comprehension issue if you don't understand the difference in the tone of the two threads.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Ya, I think you must just have a reading comprehension issue if you don't understand the difference in the tone of the two threads.
    So now it is tone, not that I didn't state it was an opinion?

Look, I get that I make strong statement. I don't know why I wouldn't. If I don't believe in what I am saying, why should I say it? Why should anyone?

Turn Off Ads?