Turn Off Ads?
Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22626869707172
Results 1,066 to 1,070 of 1070

Thread: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

OK, I guess you didn't use the word bust, but you essentially called him a failure of a pick.

Hamilton will be in Louisville. Wouldn't surprise me to see LaMarre back in Pensacola, though it wouldn't surprise me to see him working a corner spot in Louisville either.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    OK, I guess you didn't use the word bust, but you essentially called him a failure of a pick.

Hamilton will be in Louisville. Wouldn't surprise me to see LaMarre back in Pensacola, though it wouldn't surprise me to see him working a corner spot in Louisville either.
    You don't even need to use the word "essentially." I flat-out called him a "big disappointment." I just think "bust" is going a bit far.

As for your comparison re: LaMarre/Cozart ... there is no way LaMarre will ever have the kind of pop that Cozart does. Cozart is good for 30+ doubles and 15+ HRs every year most likely, especially playing in GABP. LaMarre wouldn't come close to that. Their OBP are similar, but Cozart has a lot more pop. Cozart's minor league numbers > LaMarre's minor league numbers. Also, one thing I really liked about Cozart in the minors is the steady improvement that he showed. He was once considered a guy that would never hit well enough to sniff the Majors as you know. Not that he's a great hitter now, but he's all right. Coupled with his defense and you've got a solid MLB shortstop. And I'm of the opinion we'll see some slight improvement in Cozart's offensive numbers these next couple of years. Nothing drastic, but steady improvement. I know he's already 27, but he's a student of the game and will improve.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

There is no way that Cozart is ever going to walk as much as LaMarre is either. Overall though, Cozart sucks as a hitter. Yet he has value because he can play defense up the middle. I don't see why LaMarre can't also suck as a hitter, yet also provide some value because he can also play defense up the middle. The two will go about their offense differently, but I could see them both being .700 OPS bats.

So overall I have to say that I'm a big fan of this trade. In fact, I'd go so far to say that it may be Walt's best in terms of value acquired vs. value lost. Defensively I think Choo can handle it. Let him work it out in Spring Training and see how it goes. Ultimately I don't know how much of a difference we'll notice. I'd be more concerned if the Reds were trying to "hide" a poor fielder in either corner spot. Couple that with the otherwise strong D up the middle and I'm not too worried.

As for this spirited debate on Gregorius - good prospect, good potential, but not someone that makes me think twice about dealing if I can get an impact bat like Choo. What's Didi's best-case scenario? Orlando Cabrera? I think I can manage if that's the case.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

We're well over 1,000 posts, so as is our policy, please start a new thread to continue this discussion. Thank you.

Turn Off Ads?