Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds Acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Re: Reds Acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Absolutely love this trade for the Reds. Shin Soo Choo is exactly what this offense needs. Great move by Walt. Does anyone know much about Jason Donald? Guessing he will be our backup shortstop. How is he defensively? I know Donald won't hit much but solid defense is necessary and he'll get his share of playing time (we all know how much Dusty played Valdez).
    Donald isn't an offense force by any means but he was a solid back up and was putting up decent numbers in 2010-11 (solid .260 hitter), but last year was definitely a slump. He is much more of a utility player rather than just a back up SS. Can play 2nd, SS, and Third decently well. I would say he is a younger version of Cairo who we control for several more years. I think its a nice add to our bench.
    "The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price." -Vince Lombardi

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Not sure I like this trade. Choo isn't nearly as fast as Stubbs. Afraid he may clog up the bases.

Just got home from a company function and saw this on MLB Network. Like the trade without a doubt. Best wishes to Stubbs. It will be interesting with him coming into town for the Ohio Cup series.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

You know this is a good trade since the Cardinals fans are bending over backwards to find ways to knock it.

Quote Originally Posted by nheath22 View Post
    Donald isn't an offense force by any means but he was a solid back up and was putting up decent numbers in 2010-11 (solid .260 hitter), but last year was definitely a slump. He is much more of a utility player rather than just a back up SS. Can play 2nd, SS, and Third decently well. I would say he is a younger version of Cairo who we control for several more years. I think its a nice add to our bench.
    Donald seems like a good fit then. Being versatile is certainly an asset. If he can hit .250 to .260 in about 150-200 at bats with solid defense he'll prove to be a very nice role player.

This lets BP go back to 2nd where he's most comfortable. With the Ludwick signing our lineup can go ahead and get etched in stone. I think we all know how much Dusty loves that.

How long till pitchers and catchers report lol?

Worst case scenario he shows in ST that he's not a great defensive CFer. That could put Bruce in CF on opening day.

Either way, we have a small park so I'm not really worried about it. We also have a nice backup in Heisey who can cover a lot of ground. We'll figure it out.

I'd like this trade a whole lot more if the Reds would have found a way to acquire Bauer for Gregorious and then acquire Choo without giving up Bauer. That beings said it's hard to not like this deal for the Reds, they gave up a couple of superfluous parts and acquired a legitimate lead off hitter for the first time in many years.

lefty-righty-lefty-righty-lefty-righty sounds nice as well.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

I've wanted Choo for 2 or 3 years now. Finally!

When was the last time the Reds had a good leadoff hitter?

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    I've wanted Choo for 2 or 3 years now. Finally!

When was the last time the Reds had a good leadoff hitter?
    Not since Drew Stubbs

A real honest to goodness lefthanded hitter. Far far out. Good luck Drew. Now lets go win a world series.

Best part of this trade?

Now we have BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE ... and CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO

Reds Fan

So what is the record for strikeouts by a hitting duo. Now that the Indians have paired Stubbs with Reynolds?

Quote Originally Posted by cscott81 View Post
    So what is the record for strikeouts by a hitting duo. Now that the Indians have paired Stubbs with Reynolds?
    Don't know for sure but its got to be 383 in 2010 with Reynolds who lead the majors with 211 and Adam LaRoche was 4th with 172 on the D-Backs. A team that had 3 other guys with at least 145 K's that year for 1529 team total to set the MLB record.

Turn Off Ads?